Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,991,812 times

Advertisements

I lived in Sugar Land zoned to Clements. If my budget is 1.2M, I would live in West U for sure UNLESS I am Asian, then I might choose to live in Sugar Land. Or city of Bellaire.

The tutor schools teach lots of stuff besides math. They teach reading and spelling Bs and other stuff too. A lot of Indian kids go too besides the Chinese kids. My wife was thinking about taking my kid there after school to keep up but I told her no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:01 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,802,696 times
And "attitude" and first hand experience is what you're lacking mate. I know you're doing really well in the Houston proper but I do invite you to our neighborhood to experience some true diversity. Heck Houston as a whole is true diversity (see stats) except few pockets such as yours. Meanwhile enjoy your proper mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Un American is all about attitude, not race, and I've never met so many people in one place who hate everything about this country... except for money of course. If you got to know people beyond a superficial level you would already know that. BTW I'm doing just fine in Houston proper, thanks. And speaking of rednecks, I am not the one bragging about who my employer is in one thread, then about how I brandish firearms from my vehicle in another.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:01 PM

171 posts, read 247,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
If my budget is 1.2M, I would live in West U for sure UNLESS I am Asian, then I might choose to live in Sugar Land. Or city of Bellaire.
I'm not sure I understand this statement. Can you elaborate?

Old 06-29-2017, 12:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,097,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Sugar land has gotten more expensive than people realize, has terrible traffic in places too. I personally don't think it is worth the money anymore. Demographically it is quite a bit different than central Houston. If you are an American you may be uncomfortable living there. Yes, Public schools are highly rated in SL but there are a lot of people who are great at regurgitating there instead of critical thinking and common sense. I'd go for Central Houston and put a small chunk of your 1.2 into private schooling.
Wow, just... wow. I have family who lives in SL and they feel fine living there. As does my wife's aunt, who happens to be zoned to Clements. I went to the Floor & Decor over there and noticed several people of varying ethnicities. Honestly, it's not that different from my neighborhood inside the loop.

Honestly, at what point would an immigrant community be sufficiently integrated into our society to meet your exacting standards? I suspect the post below is a better representation of what most people feel makes for an American, but out of curiosity, how do you define an "American?"

Let's just move past the first ignorant statement and on to the regurgitating ideas vs critical thinking & common sense. I'm not encouraging rote memorization for young people at all, but there is something to be said for instilling a work ethic in kids, and ensuring they understand the base material before moving further up the curriculum. Also, has it occurred to you that those asian parents have seen more of the world than you have, are more in touch with educational trends and globalization than you might be, and are simply preparing their children to compete on a larger global stage? We can stick our heads in the sand all we want, but if we don't prepare our children, the global marketplace will leave them behind. Maybe you are just used to being at the top of the socioeconomic food chain, but laziness won't keep you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Lets rephrase it a bit. If you don't like diversity you might be uncomfortable living there. There is nothing un American about Sugar land. Actually people working hard, paying taxes and sending their kids to good schools so that they don't turn out to be a burden on society is actually the most American thing anyone can do.
Thank you for the above post.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,669,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Wow, just... wow. I have family who lives in SL and they feel fine living there. As does my wife's aunt, who happens to be zoned to Clements. I went to the Floor & Decor over there and noticed several people of varying ethnicities. Honestly, it's not that different from my neighborhood inside the loop.

Honestly, at what point would an immigrant community be sufficiently integrated into our society to meet your exacting standards? I suspect the post below is a better representation of what most people feel makes for an American, but out of curiosity, how do you define an "American?"

Let's just move past the first ignorant statement and on to the regurgitating ideas vs critical thinking & common sense. I'm not encouraging rote memorization for young people at all, but there is something to be said for instilling a work ethic in kids, and ensuring they understand the base material before moving further up the curriculum. Also, has it occurred to you that those asian parents have seen more of the world than you have, are more in touch with educational trends and globalization than you might be, and are simply preparing their children to compete on a larger global stage? We can stick our heads in the sand all we want, but if we don't prepare our children, the global marketplace will leave them behind. Maybe you are just used to being at the top of the socioeconomic food chain, but laziness won't keep you there.

Thank you for the above post.
I live in SL, and am very comfortable living among the diversity here. My son is often the only blonde haired kid in his class, and whatever. No big deal.

However, to your statement on regurgitation vs critical thinking. In today's marketplace, one of the top things (if not the top thing) wanted by employers is creativity. Facts can be looked up in a book. If you can't be creative and come up with clever ideas and ways to solve problems, you really aren't that useful. So, in my mind, we should be moving away from rote memorization and worksheets and more towards project based learning, creative assignments and critical thinking. That is how the global marketplace won't leave us behind.

The memorization of facts will score you A's in our school system as it stands. And that is what many parents want (remember our UT, etc college admission based on class rank). But does that make you learn to be a global player? Develop a creative mind? The ability to think for yourself? Come up with independent solutions? No, it doesn't. Our education system doesn't award those kinds of students. It awards the students who memorize facts, complete worksheet after worksheet and fit into the basic mold. It is the exact opposite of what our students need to compete on the global stage.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:55 PM

569 posts, read 1,081,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I live in SL, and am very comfortable living among the diversity here. My son is often the only blonde haired kid in his class, and whatever. No big deal.

However, to your statement on regurgitation vs critical thinking. In today's marketplace, one of the top things (if not the top thing) wanted by employers is creativity. Facts can be looked up in a book. If you can't be creative and come up with clever ideas and ways to solve problems, you really aren't that useful. So, in my mind, we should be moving away from rote memorization and worksheets and more towards project based learning, creative assignments and critical thinking. That is how the global marketplace won't leave us behind.

The memorization of facts will score you A's in our school system as it stands. And that is what many parents want (remember our UT, etc college admission based on class rank). But does that make you learn to be a global player? Develop a creative mind? The ability to think for yourself? Come up with independent solutions? No, it doesn't. Our education system doesn't award those kinds of students. It awards the students who memorize facts, complete worksheet after worksheet and fit into the basic mold. It is the exact opposite of what our students need to compete on the global stage.
This! :-)

Bottom line: a lot of us wish to have $1.2M for a house budget and by golly I sure would not be moving to a suburb if working in-town with that much house budget. I wouid find a way to live in West University Place :-D!

Old 06-29-2017, 01:05 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,038,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post

Agree with you 100%. Some of the teaching methods from the east and brought over here through immigration is not enough to compete in today's market. Top employers look for creativity not just people who can simply work a spreadsheet. Well said.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 PM

171 posts, read 247,069 times
Are you guys saying that by putting so much emphasis on math, that these kids will be lacking in creativity? I didn't know there was a correlation, nor was there some finite amount of one or the other your brain could take. Artists and writers must be terrible at math, then? By the way, I work a lot of spreadsheets. It takes quite a bit of creativity, unless you are just using it as a calculator.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:03 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,669,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
Are you guys saying that by putting so much emphasis on math, that these kids will be lacking in creativity? I didn't know there was a correlation, nor was there some finite amount of one or the other your brain could take. Artists and writers must be terrible at math, then? By the way, I work a lot of spreadsheets. It takes quite a bit of creativity, unless you are just using it as a calculator.

Hardly. My new 6th grader is great at math. She is also great at art and very creative. Her favorite subjects are math and art. My husband is a geomodeler. He works with spreadsheets all the time too. And he is one of the most creative, out of the box thinkers I know. The problem comes in using repetitive school worksheets (and math is good example) to teach rote memorization without any project based, creative learning. The project based learning is what will serve our kids later in life.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:15 PM

11 posts, read 13,846 times
You'll get less house for your money, but I would pick smaller house in the loop versus a mcmansion in the dreary burbs and deal with crushing commutes.

I'd look into West University, Afton Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston