Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:19 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
It will probably be around 6 to 6:00 in the mornings and sometime around 5 to 5:30 in the afternoon.
Your morning drive should be easy. Your afternoon drive should not be too bad either (once you get on the tollway) because you don't really have to get on to 288 on the last leg of your drive home. Now, when the Waterlights District gets cranked up, that last leg home along the feeder road might be a little more interesting. But that is still years away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:29 PM

201 posts, read 914,655 times
Beltway traffic isn't a problem unless there's an accident (which is true for any freeway).

Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,209,968 times
Default Complicated Question

I am looking for a house to rent for about a year and a half. There are several topics that keep coming up about the Shadow Creek area that I am concerned about.

One is the dump being built. This is no big deal to me. If I can put up with papermills I can put up with a dump. Where exactly is it being built at?

The second one is I keep reading about this area being mostly a black neighborhood. I am white and have nothing against blacks, but am concerned about a majority black neighborhood. This is the same about a mostly Hispanic neighborhood. Hopefully this question will not sit wrong with anyone. I am just wanting a safe and quiet area for my wife while I am working long hours away. I am usually at work from daybreak to nightfall. We are also in our 50's so do not want a neighborhood where there is loud music playing all hours of the night.

There are a lot of houses for rent in this neighborhood and I am trying to figure out why. I am out of state so cannot simple go there and ride around and look. The last neighborhood we lived in the Houston was about equal white, black and Hispanic and it was fine.

I apologize in advance if this post is inappropriate and has upset anyone.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:10 AM

If you have all those concerns, may I ask why you are even considering SCR in the first place? There are many other places to rent.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,209,968 times
Actually there are not a lot of areas close to where I want for rent that the houses are not 15 to 30 years old. I have been researching Clear Lake, Friendswood, Webster and am not finding many houses of the requirements I want. My searches keep heading over to the Shadow Creek area.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,954 times
Some of the stuff I've read here is just silly with a breath of truthfulness thrown in here and there. I've lived in Pearland for over 6 years and, although getting more congested over time, traffic is just fine. I work downtown and generally leave around 6:30AM from Silverlake. I'm at my desk on Louisiana before 7:30AM every day.

As a side note, I'm having a new home built on the west side of SCR. I've been there on multiple occasions, all times of the year, and have yet to catch one whiff of the landfill.

Just sayin'....

Ronnie

Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 46,948 times
Ronnie, I'm with you. I monitor this website fairly often, but rarely post. I live in SCR and see these threads and just have to wonder whether or not many of the posters here are hired by someone or something. We've lived here for over six years, have three small kids, and I work downtown as well. We couldn't be happier. Our kids go to Marek Elementary, which is awesome. We couldn't be more pleased. Our neighbors are fantastic. We've never had a single issue with any of them. We don't smell dumps, chemical plants, or whatever else is planted all over these boards.

There has been some crime here or there as the area has developed, but by no means has it been rampant. I challenge ANYONE to look at other communities like The Woodlands, Sugarland, etc. and see what happened when their malls and other retail took off (many years ago). Nothing that has happened here has been out of the ordinary.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,954 times
Ads:

Do you go down Almeda or 288 to downtown? We'll live on the West side of SCR, and thought that after the construction is done on Almeda, it might be an alternative.

Thanks,

Ronnie

Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 46,948 times
Ronnie,

I live over on the east side of SCR, so I just take 288 to and from DT. I've travelled pretty much every major highway in and around Houston during rush hour. 288 is not the worst, and definitely not the best. What you can say though, is that to SCR, you definitely have a much shorter distance to contend with. If you have a schedule that allows you to go in early, and leave early, you have it made. Little to no traffic. (into DT by 7am, out by 4pm)

Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads2003 View Post
Ronnie,

I live over on the east side of SCR, so I just take 288 to and from DT. I've travelled pretty much every major highway in and around Houston during rush hour. 288 is not the worst, and definitely not the best. What you can say though, is that to SCR, you definitely have a much shorter distance to contend with. If you have a schedule that allows you to go in early, and leave early, you have it made. Little to no traffic. (into DT by 7am, out by 4pm)
Totally agree. I'm one of the 7am-4pm people that commute to the med center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston