Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times

Advertisements

Ditto what everyone above has said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
Please help me to understand why some people decided to hunker down during the hurricane instead of evacuating.
Because my island has been safe so far? It's the BW8 feeders being a mess here along the east belt that's a bit worrisome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
It is impossible to evacuated 6 million in 48hrs. During Hurricane Rita many folks still had Katrina on their minds and they tried to get out. I-45 is the main corridor leaving Houston going north. The traffic was so bad that most folks ran out of gas on the interstate trying to leave. Getting everyone out of a major metropolitan area like Houston is nearly a impossible task.
Even moreso when everyone is crammed only onto a few major highways. During Rita, I left Alvin and was crammed onto 90A. If I had been able to take FM1462 or FM521 and go around that mess to head to Seguin to camp out, no big deal. I left on Thursday morning and Rita didn't landfall until late Saturday night.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:23 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
Please help me to understand why some people decided to hunker down during the hurricane instead of evacuating. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, both good and bad. Were there options for those who could not afford to leave? Were there free buses to take people to faraway shelters? Would they be provided free food and water while away? Were they offered free transportation back home? Were private citizens offering to transport people in need of rides? I'm trying to answer my daughter's questions.

If I were able to leave the area but chose not to, I would not be able to look my family in the eye if they were now in harms way because of my actions, or should I say inaction? I'm sure they would also lose respect for me. I will say that until recently I was caring for my elderly Dad with dementia. Towards the end he was pretty much comatose in my home. I do not know how I could have evacuated in that instance.
Well 1) the hurricane didn't hit Houston/Galveston directly. And, 2) the evacuation routes need to be left open for those in its direct path -- corpus/port A, Rockport. If people had a crystal ball and could have known the amount of water they'd take on -- yeah some may have left.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:50 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
It is impossible to evacuated 6 million in 48hrs. During Hurricane Rita many folks still had Katrina on their minds and they tried to get out. I-45 is the main corridor leaving Houston going north. The traffic was so bad that most folks ran out of gas on the interstate trying to leave. Getting everyone out of a major metropolitan area like Houston is nearly a impossible task.
The voice of reason! This is so true.

People dye trying to evacuate in a panic or at the last minute.

My mom is old and she could not escape. She stayed put as her area is not prone to flooding and she has ridden out every storm to hit Houston since 1967.

Evacuations take proper planning. As you stated there is no possible way to evacuate 6 million folks in 48 hours.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:09 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
I don't know, I am watching on t.v. up here in Michigan and hearing the babies crying nearly broke my heart into pieces. I donated what I could to the Red Cross and pray for everyone. I don't have much, just hope they get help in time.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:26 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
We tried to evacuate for Rita in 2005. It took 16 hours of "driving" to get to what normally takes 1.5 hours. We ended up shacked in a church for 3 days in Corrigan, TX. Unless I am certain we are taking a direct hit, I'm not doing that again.

Otherwise plan ahead and don't live in areas that are quick to flood.

Quote:
Yes... we stopped at a checkpoint because we were getting low. Everything was organized until some people started trying to cut the line and chaos took place. I subconsciously blocked that out of my memory until you brought that up.

What ended up happening was a bunch of us at this church collected money and found a gas station that had gas available. I think we got around 300 dollars worth in a huge drum. That's how we got out of there.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:46 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytucaz View Post
My question would be why would anyone want to live in Houston to start without given its propensity for flooding? Call me crazy but I'd prefer to live somewhere where Mother Nature isn't harassing me on a regular basis.
I wish I could unread your post!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Maybe because the 3650 days one isn't flooded are enough to make up for the 1 day they are. Even at this moment, 80-90% of Houstonians are not flooded. And no one is taking a canoe to work.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:18 AM

342 posts, read 803,172 times
If you got flooded by Harvey, the next hurricane you should leave. Simply, Mayor Turner should of said if you live in a low-lying area, or area that has been proned to flooding, please leave at your own discetion. And he should of said people with medical condition in those areas, please seek alternatives. The places that flooded in tax day, or Memorial Day I'm sure, got flooded again. All my neighbors stayed it is because we all know it does not flood, the only worry we have is wind. If you watch news, outsiders think 80% of Houston is under water.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
If you watch news, outsiders think 80% of Houston is under water.
That's very true. That's how it's presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston