Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times

Advertisements

cannotnforce people into higher density. The cost is significantly higher and most people cannot afford it.

Sandy dropped 7-10" of rain. Nmae a city can handle half of what we received over a wide area?

I think simplistic solution is to elevate new construction homes similar to what Bellaire city requires. Cost is more initially but over time and savings via lower flood insurance costs would be worth it. Water wouldn't be signifantly displaced any longer by the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
There is a thing called the "Tombstone theory" in which radical changes in safety policies etc. aren't made until enough people die.

If people keep dying in these calamities the city government may act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
For those pushing the mid/highrise solution, are you going to force those of us who live in suburbs inside the Loop to give up our single family homes on decent sized lots? Who made you the arbiter of what the solution is?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:48 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Idk, wasn't me lol.. I at least appreciate the discussion even if I don't completely agree. I personally want rapid densification between downtown and uptown with some sort of dedicated row for public transit everywhere, but also don't think that's good for the entire metro population.
Surely it wasn't. The poster who wrote it knows very well who he/she is.

Anyways, the densification for Houston would apply only to city proper, while other municipalities across the metro can join in as well. So not only Houston densifying, but also Sugar Land, places along the Bay Area, Woodlands, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Seriously? You think that was due to population density and not the fact that Harvey dropped over 50" rainfall on Houston while Sandy dropped about 7" on NYC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Sandy dropped 7-10" of rain. Name a city can handle half of what we received over a wide area?
Of course 50" of rain will bring devastation anywhere, but losses would have been minimized (especially casualties) in high density compared to the sprawl Houston has now.

Quote:
Houston sprawls because the land is cheap and there aren't any geographic imitations due to rivers, mountains, or coast lines. Without the cheap land and the ability to build thousands of single family homes with yards, garages, and lots of room, very few of those folks would move here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
cannotnforce people into higher density. The cost is significantly higher and most people cannot afford it.
It was assumed that Houston had loads of available land, that development can spread out, and take up any space that is needed. But then Harvey came in and rained on that parade, literally: in reality, alot of Houston's land is swampy flood plain, criss-crossed by many bayous, such that building on it isn't ideal.

At this point, there's simply going to be some form of added costs no matter the plan for the city. Continue the regular suburban sprawl with no new regulation of any form, and the price is paid with flood after flood.

Quote:
For those pushing the mid/highrise solution, are you going to force those of us who live in suburbs inside the Loop to give up our single family homes on decent sized lots? Who made you the arbiter of what the solution is?
Those who are willing to move into a high-rise can do so. Not only the Inner Loop, but also in outer municipalities like Sugar Land, Woodlands, etc if those develop high rises as well.

Others that want to stay in their suburban houses can continue doing so, just as long as there are flood-mitigation designs/preparations, for their sake.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:16 PM

268 posts, read 239,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I see your point but this storm unfortunately will cloud judgement and add to the notion that Houston's development patterns need to change because of the floods of 2015, 2016, and now August 2017. Building one story slabs and businesses by reservoirs and bayous, including also wetlands and flood plains, was just simply a bad idea. Perhaps this discussion is not happen if it was just Harvey and the tax day flood and memorial day flood in 2015 didn't happen. I believe there was another flood in April 2015 too.
You forgot the MLK day flood of 2017 and the floods of June and July 2017. All of those floods caused residential flooding - the media didn't really report much of it though.

2017 had at least 4 storms that caused homes to flood. Also there was the 2015 Halloween floods that screwed over meyerland after memorial day

Old 09-10-2017, 02:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Of course 50" of rain will bring devastation anywhere, but losses would have been minimized (especially casualties) in high density compared to the sprawl Houston has now.
Losses were minimized. We had fewer deaths than Sandy with 7x the amount of rainfall. But it is pointless to compare two very different storms in very different areas. I'm not the one that initially tried to compare Sandy to Harvey to further an agenda.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Losses were minimized. We had fewer deaths than Sandy with 7x the amount of rainfall. But it is pointless to compare two very different storms in very different areas. I'm not the one that initially tried to compare Sandy to Harvey to further an agenda.
The relative death toll from Houston by Harvey was higher than Sandy in NYC once you account for population disparities between the two cities.

But regardless, the main point is that the death toll and property loss from the flooding in Houston would have been lower had the city been denser (for all the reasons cited in the graphics and links of the OP). These facts are indisputable.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:56 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
The relative death toll from Houston by Harvey was higher than Sandy in NYC once you account for population disparities between the two cities.

But regardless, the main point is that the death toll and property loss from the flooding in Houston would have been lower had the city been denser (for all the reasons cited in the graphics and links of the OP). These facts are indisputable.
No, they are not indisputable. It's all guess work, since Houston isn't dense. You can model with a variety of variables and come up with statistically significant predictions, but none of them are indisputable.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
It matters what's best for the city, regardless of what people prefer. If people want to live in Houston, given the storms it can get, then sacrifices are going to have to be made.
Who do you think you are? Youre nobody to tell the rest of us who live here what kind of lives we should lead and what kind of houses we should live in. I live in a ranch style house just outside the loop thats never flooded. Not in Harvey, not in Allison, never since it was built in the early 50's. We did our research before buying. We made sure that whatever house we wanted would have one of the highest elevations in the neighborhood.

This thread is just a CD pipe dream. Houston will continue to become more dense in some areas and it will remain subdivisions in others. This whole idea that youre going to see high rise condos on Dairy Ashford or by Hobby just because its part of the city of Houston is absurd.

Youll never catch me living in a condo or high rise and this may be news to you but I dont have to do that to live here.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
No, they are not indisputable. It's all guess work, since Houston isn't dense. You can model with a variety of variables and come up with statistically significant predictions, but none of them are indisputable.
Nope, no guesswork, just logical facts that can be arrived to if you truly think about it.

For instance, where would you rather be to escape rising flood waters: the 60th floor of a highrise, under comfortable shelter, or exposed to the elements on top of a SFH roof (like many of those affected by Harvey were)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Who do you think you are? Youre nobody to tell the rest of us who live here what kind of lives we should lead and what kind of houses we should live in. I live in a ranch style house just outside the loop thats never flooded. Not in Harvey, not in Allison, never since it was built in the early 50's. We did our research before buying. We made sure that whatever house we wanted would have one of the highest elevations in the neighborhood.

This thread is just a CD pipe dream. Houston will continue to become more dense in some areas and it will remain subdivisions in others. This whole idea that youre going to see high rise condos on Dairy Ashford or by Hobby just because its part of the city of Houston is absurd.

Youll never catch me living in a condo or high rise and this may be news to you but I dont have to do that to live here.
Like I said, it doesn't matter what people prefer. At the end of the day, Houston should do what's best for surviving these floods, and if density is the way it chooses, then so be it.

Those who disagree are welcome to live in their SFHs by the floodplain all they like. They just shouldn't be crying when the next major storm wipes them all out again.

Last edited by Texyn; 09-10-2017 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 07:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Who is being prevented from living in a high density tower?

Or, is the problem that they have a choice not to live in one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston