Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:17 AM

13 posts, read 13,727 times

Advertisements

$1000 is reasonable but $1300 is not. Gas watwr heater and parts can cost between $500-$700 depending upon the brand. Getring them up in the attic is a headache. So $1000 is not a bad price. Instead of Lowes andHomedepot guys ask in Nextdoor or on community facebook groups for plumber recommendations and hire some one directly to do the job. They will be much cheaper.
But I am with everyone on this one if it ain't broke don't fix it .
Drain it, maintain it and put that sensor on so you can catch the leak if and when it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 06:17 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrath View Post
Hey All,

Any idea of what a plumber/company SHOULD charge to remove/replace a standard hot water heater in an attic. I am unsure of the exact size but it is for a 2,300 sq ft home.

Currently, our unit functions but is around 9 years old and I do not want the bottom to rust out and flood the attic/below.

I called a plumber that seems reputable out in katy and he quickly/firmly said $1,000.

Is this a reasonable price to pay? Any suggestions on cutting the cost such as buying the unit myself?
$1000 is the going price for many plumbers, for an attic replacement. It will cover their labor, plus a decent mid-size water heater. That way they don't waste a trip just for a bid.

By the way, they are called "water heaters", not "hot water heaters".

Old 11-30-2017, 08:22 AM

403 posts, read 681,438 times
I still want to know who the moron is that thought attic-based water heaters were a good idea.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:13 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,792,570 times
Worse than attic-based water heaters are those that are packed tight into an interior closet.

My parents have one in the house that my dad built for our family nearly 20 years ago. They're very proactive about maintenance (ie flushing twice annually, etc), because it's going to be a pain to change out when it finally croaks. It's a big 65 gallon model. The 2015 energy regulations required lots of changes to larger water heaters, that will basically make it impossible to fit a replacement model into the same space. They're either going to have to get a smaller unit, go tankless, or replumb the house to put the new one into the attic.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
When DD had to replace her water heater, they went tankless. It was installed on the back of the house where the water and gas come in. Works great for them.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:03 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Mine was $1,200 for an attic replacement on the "3rd floor". However it was the higher end gas water heater with 2 anodes and had to do the city of Houston permitting thing. I did it through Lowes and guess who they send to install? ... The local guys down the road. I look at Lowes as a GC and sometimes it is easier to pay a few extra bucks for them to find someone. A lot of installers are terrible when it comes to the administrative side.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:25 PM

111 posts, read 130,206 times
Thanks for all of the responses. I am going to do a "flush" this weekend and see if any rust or heavy sediment releases.

The only reason I am following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" method is because my fear is the bottom blowing out and flooding the attic/insulation and coming down into the kitchen which would easily be a 1% deductible ($2,500) and a huge headache.

Is the chance the bottom blows out pretty rare? Would a leak or obvious signs show up before this could happen?

I will get up in the attic when i do the flush and take a solid look at the unit and make a determination from that.
Also, will be getting a few bids and recommendations from nextdoor/neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: