Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:37 PM

29 posts, read 27,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Let's look at this neighborhood, the Westchase area http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De..._Westchase.pdf

2015: 29,149 people, 33% black, 26% Hispanic, 25% White, 13% Asian, 2% Other
2000: 21,017 people, 21% black, 22% Hispanic, 40% White, 13% Asian, 4% Other

I'm guessing what he means (based on what Cashin said) is that if the population went beyond, say 50%, then other groups would start to pull out. African American critics have criticized the tendency of affluent white persons to pull out and their fear of majority black areas. Cashin also said that this will frustrate attempts of black separatism.

Income levels:
* 2015: 29% <25K, 33% 25K<50K, 24% 50K<100K, 15% 100K<
* 2000: 26% <25K, 42% 25K<50K, 26% 50K<100K, 6% 100K<

As for Briar Forest https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/D...riarforest.pdf

2015: 43,108, 21% black, 26% Hispanic, 43% white, 7% Asian, 3% other
2000: 42,100, 10% black, 18% Hispanic, 63% white, 7% Asian, 2% Other

Eldridge / West Oaks http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De...e_WestOaks.pdf

2015: 72,347, 22% black, 23% Hispanic, 36% white, 17% Asian, 3% other
2000: 40,013, 14% black, 16% Hispanic, 54% white, 12% Asian, 3% other
The “White” population in these statistics also includes Middle Easterners/North Africans.

There are actually very few Whites in the “privileged” West Houston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 03:05 PM

8,343 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Prince View Post
The “White” population in these statistics also includes Middle Easterners/North Africans.

There are actually very few Whites in the “privileged” West Houston area.
Yes, but your later statement is very incorrect.

There are 8,058 Northern Africans and 26,535 West Asians (Arabs, Israelis, and anyone from that region) in all of the Greater Houston area.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:38 PM

29 posts, read 27,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yes, but your later statement is very incorrect.

There are 8,058 Northern Africans and 26,535 West Asians (Arabs, Israelis, and anyone from that region) in all of the Greater Houston area.

In regards only to traditional “White American” or “White European” most of the whites in West Houston reside in the SF neighborhoods around Energy Corridor/Memorial West area north of Westheimer, though a lot of the apartment complexes in that area are inhabited by non-whites. Everything south of Westheimer is majority non-White - this includes Westchase since Westchase proper is south of Westheimer.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:03 PM

8,343 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Prince View Post
In regards only to traditional “White American” or “White European” most of the whites in West Houston reside in the SF neighborhoods around Energy Corridor/Memorial West area north of Westheimer, though a lot of the apartment complexes in that area are inhabited by non-whites. Everything south of Westheimer is majority non-White - this includes Westchase since Westchase proper is south of Westheimer.
That may be true but the reason those statistics say things like 55% white is because its 55% white and the overwhelming majority of that is whites of European decent, not Northern Africans or Middle Eastern people.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:09 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
You didn't explain anything. You just complained that the quality of retail and services goes down whenever an area (urban core or suburban) becomes heavily AA and implied, if not outright stated, that there was unfairness about that. I never denied that there might be unfairness, but did ask you (or anyone) to prove the barely-disguised charge that it was the businesses themselves to blame, rather than another factor such as white customers being too racially afraid to continue to patronize those businesses (which you could characterize as unfair) or just the emergence of more competitive locations that are better positioned to serve more people (which is just the market being the market).
Typical from a white person...telling a black person that he or she is complaining. I’m done with you.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:16 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Typical from a white person...telling a black person that he or she is complaining. I’m done with you.
I call people out in forum in this forum all the time for complaining without providing justifiable reasons, regardless of their background. Have you noticed how many times I've shot back at folks for complaining about building apartments or entry-level homes in the suburbs, putting down a school because it has working-class kids attending it, whining about freeways and streets not having enough lanes, etc.? If someone is complaining without providing evidence to justify or at least asking about why the situation is occurring, or simply asserts something that I think is wrong or reflects poor assumptions or prejudices, I'm going to say something, even if I'm likely to be perceived as obnoxious and condescending.

And yes, my orientation regarding land use and planning tends to be more on the libertarian end of the spectrum, which rankles a lot of folks, especially suburbanites, but also those who complain about gentrification from a perspective that doesn't mesh with a free market and civil rights perspective (fully understanding that the benefits of such were not available to Black and Hispanic folks here until the 1960s). And restricting the free market (and especially the ethnicity of its residents) is not justified by a place's or neighborhood's cultural heritage.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:41 AM

9 posts, read 15,627 times
from where i sit it's obvious that tx18 acres homes has sheila jackson lee who cares about their healthcare, wellness and mental health as well as jobs, housing, nutrition, education and social justice. and right across I45 we just rid ourselves of 25yrs of gene green, whose tx29 district is gerrymandered to include baytown and who's agenda was primarily focused on petro chem jobs and nasa when he wasn't cutting ribbons and eating bbq at the rodea. meanwhile we're here in an unwalkable food/medical desert, bereft of greenspace and public art. fortunately all that is changing with sylvia garcia- partnering with our councilwoman karla cisneros, school trustee elizabeth santos. adrian garcia, carol alvarado and armondo walle- all elected officials who actually care to serve their constituency. having mayor turner claim residency there also helps acres homes, although recently he's fallen somewhat out of favor due to forces he can't even control. i'm proud to live near acres homes and point to them as an enduring sign of the success of the northside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston