Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times

Advertisements

but when people say Acres Homes, where exactly? The fringes by Oak Forest? Ain't no one putting a $300k townhome on West Montgomery and Dollywright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 01:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
but when people say Acres Homes, where exactly? The fringes by Oak Forest? Ain't no one putting a $300k townhome on West Montgomery and Dollywright.
I consider Acres Homes as Tidwell, W. Little York, Pinemont, Dollywright, W. Montgomery, Garden City; those are the principal streets of AH.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Gentrification is already starting down near Pinemont. Acres Homes is a big community area-wise, it will take awhile for value increases to move very far north because there's so much land available. We'll see if any of the efforts of Inwood to revitalize to the west will bleed over.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
LOL, true. Leave your $300-400k house and go get some chicken at the Chick N Chung. I think not.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:48 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
When you're desperately poor it's almost impossible to get ahead enough to afford the taxes.

In the cases of people in rental houses it's the landlord who benefits from the property valuation, not the tenant.

Gentrification is something the 610 Loop area needs but we need to acknowledge the downside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
This post gives you a hint at why many poor people stay poor. Rising property values are a bad thing only if you have no desire to get ahead. I'm glad my house is worth more than the amount I originally paid - the equity adds to my net worth and helps me build something to hand down to my kids.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:07 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Gentrification is already starting down near Pinemont. Acres Homes is a big community area-wise, it will take awhile for value increases to move very far north because there's so much land available. We'll see if any of the efforts of Inwood to revitalize to the west will bleed over.
If anything, the western portion of AH will gentrify, but not so much the eastern half.

Quote:
Acres Homes has benefited from street expansions and its proximity to 290, 249, I-45, 610, etc. but that's about it. I've been fortunate to know a few folks from there and spent time there in my younger days and why would some of those folks leave when they know what they have?

That's the only benefit of AH, it's proximity to 4 major freeways. Those freeways have different exits that will take you to Acres Homes. You can get off on 45 at W. Little York and be in AH.

Quote:
I wish the area wasn't split between 3 school districts
Ironic you should mention that because I went to Eisenhower HS, but I was also zoned for other HS schools in the community.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:21 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
I wish the area wasn't split between 3 school districts to really develop community pride but that was planned years ago as the only way to hold us down is to split us up. Sad those kids spent more time on buses than classroom time to fill quotas.
Would you support Aldine ISD consolidating into Houston ISD? I would like to see the Bush Airport area go into the HISD service zone.

Anyhow if such a merge happened would you consolidate BT Washington HS into Carver HS, or vice versa?

Old 01-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Acres Home was used a place to boost integration numbers as then you had MC Williams in play, Aldine and then Klein ISD. A

At that time, it was Klein High which made it even more ridiculous to do that to those kids as how can you live across the street from a school but be zoned to a school miles away such as the way it is with Eisenhower.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:55 AM

509 posts, read 735,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
When you're desperately poor it's almost impossible to get ahead enough to afford the taxes.

In the cases of people in rental houses it's the landlord who benefits from the property valuation, not the tenant.

I can understand why tenants would oppose gentrification, but I had the impression that those are not mostly rental properties in Acres Homes. If they are mostly rental properties, then the OP makes more sense.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:58 AM

you have more people own properties in Acres Homes than off of 610 as that was the reason its called that. And then there are neighborhoods on the border of Acres Homes that claim the area which plenty of homeowners also. Only thing gentrifying is undeveloped land that's close to the loop.

Quote:
These large areas were often divided by the acre and not by the plot, hence the name "Acres Homes". The farm capabilities of the home sites attracted many rural settlers, who dug their own wells, and built small, sanitary houses.[citation needed] Kristen Mack of the Houston Chronicle said that Acres Homes was originally marketed as "a bit of genteel country with quick and easy access to the city." The community was also touted as a place where African Americans could own houses and land instead of being in more dense urban areas.[1] At one time it was the largest unincorporated African-American community in the Southeastern United States.[2]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston