Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 555 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am from Phillipines I have a foreign accent, because I learned my English from my Country. I want to learn to speak with American accent. So I was wondering where in Houston,TX can I go and relearn how to speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 12:02 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
ESL classes are usually based in grammar, not speech. I would suggest a regular speech class at a community college. Lone Star and HCC are both good, but you should consider looking into instructor ratings before choosing a specific course. Some instructors are more helpful than others. I don't know about San Jacinto College, but it might also be a good choice.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:34 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
If you are already fluent in English, I think you should seek an institution (or just an individual) that has an "accent remediation" program, rather than just a run-of-the-mill ESL school. I have a friend here who has been an ESL teacher for many years, and through him, I know that many ESL teachers may know grammar but don't speak with a standard American accent or don't specialize in that.

I once worked with a guy from North Carolina who attended the University of Connecticut, where they wanted to put him through an accent remediation program. He had a strong southern accent, which apparently some people felt would be an impediment to his success. So, don't feel bad about feeling the need for that. I just don't know of a place in Houston than has such a program.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:08 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Literacy advance

Old 07-27-2018, 04:45 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
Would you rather speak with a southern drawl, or a neutral accent? Or, if you choose, you could always have a nasally Midwestern accent!

J/K, I think the other posters gave good advice. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: