Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:58 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times

Advertisements

I see Sonangol is at roughly Rt 6 at IH 10. There are a lot of reasonable $ and reasonably safe apartment complexes along Rt 6. You won't be able to afford a house rental at what you suggest. However, you might be able to rent a real house and yard for the kids 5 miles south or so in Mission Bend for the same price as a 3 bedroom apartment. If you obtained a work permit to be employed in the USA by the National Oil Company of Angola I suspect you are a highly-skilled engineer that can afford a bit more than you say you want to spend. Remember, trying to safe a few pennies on housing can end up costing you more if your place gets burgled, your wife or children assaulted, etc. Also if you are in a better neighborhood the public schools will be good, otherwise you will need to pay for private school in a few years. There are Mosques all over Houston. Hamza Mosque is right there in mission bend and there is a great Turkish & Persian bread maker a few miles east in Alief on Belfort@Synott I really enjoy! Make sure you are in the best neighborhood you can afford, though, or you'll be making your life unnecessarily difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 09:04 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
They say Sugarland has a ton of Pakistantis. Can some one tell me where they live? I used to live there during 2008-2011 years and I never saw any, ever although I know there was a MidEast store off Settlers Way, I believe.

I lived in the Waters of Avalon area, it was mostly White and a few Hispanics. Not even any Asians either, which I heard there is a high ratio in the area.
Let's put it this way, there is a decent-size Pakistani community in Sugar Land but I suspect many, many more are Indian and as an American he doesn't know the difference. Whether they are Pakistani or Indian Muslims may not make so big a difference to the OP but I'm no expert on the highly complex social mores of the Indian sub-continent. I'm sure a majority of those Indians are Hindu, though, so there might not be as many mosques as you would think by seeing all those "Pakistanis" running around SL! :-)

Old 10-21-2018, 03:21 PM

290 posts, read 369,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
They say Sugarland has a ton of Pakistantis. Can some one tell me where they live? I used to live there during 2008-2011 years and I never saw any, ever although I know there was a MidEast store off Settlers Way, I believe.

I lived in the Waters of Avalon area, it was mostly White and a few Hispanics. Not even any Asians either, which I heard there is a high ratio in the area.
That’s absurd. That area is majority Asian. There are plenty of Indians and Chinese people in the Gardens of Avalon and Waters of Avalon neighborhoods. I don’t think you go out too often. However, you said you lived there about 8-10 years ago, the Asian population in the area has definitely grown from then but still at that time there were still plenty of Asians (estimated at least 30-40%) in the area.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:19 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
Sugar Land is not now, nor has ever been majority Asian.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:00 PM

13 posts, read 19,987 times
Telfair and Aliana have highest South Asian (Indian, Pakistani, etc) populations out of any Houston/suburb community I know of. There are Indian/Pakistani grocery stores in Telfair. But the apartments there are probably not in your price range. I don't know much about Aliana, but I'm sure you can find something there. Also try Googling mosque locations in Houston. Those neighborhoods are probably what you're looking for.

Last edited by Strummer9; 10-22-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 12:09 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
I’m assuming your wife is going to be comfortable driving here too?

Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 PM

13 posts, read 19,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
I don't know why people keep saying this. If you walk around SL town center, whites are clearly the majority.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:54 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer9 View Post
I don't know why people keep saying this. If you walk around SL town center, whites are clearly the majority.
Once I saw one girl who looked pretty much as typical white American girl and spoke without accent...but it turned out that she was international student from Pakistan So you never know, maybe those white folks in the streets of SL are also from Pakistan

Old 06-07-2020, 11:32 AM

363 posts, read 557,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Exactly, I had a Persian in-law that always claimed Sugarland was 100% Indians from India. When I lived there I never saw one and when he finally visited me he had to eat his words. I am sure there are Indians and Pakistani's there I just didn't understand that big generalization when it wasn't true. It's very strange.

I used to live in Waters of Avalon so my neighbors were a mixed bunch but primarily Anglo with a few Hispanics. I had one Asian neighbor in our circle. Keep in mind this was 10 years ago so who knows if all of that has changed.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
The ISGH (a major Islamic association in the area that is predominately ethnic Pakistani/South Asian) lists its mosques here: https://isgh.org/islamic-centers/

There are other mosques unaffiliated with ISGH (There is a Shiite mosque near the Galleria and various other Sunni mosques that I believe are predominately Arab worshippers)

There is also a Pakistani Community Center in SW Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston