Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 05:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

This is something I never thought I'd see:

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...n-the-midterms

Finally we may not be the incarceration capital of the US. People shouldn't be thrown in jail for minor offenses like smoking weed and stuff. Glad Houston is following Austin's lead on this.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:50 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,176 times
Straight ticket voting.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:19 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
This is the end folks.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This is something I never thought I'd see:

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...n-the-midterms

Finally we may not be the incarceration capital of the US. People shouldn't be thrown in jail for minor offenses like smoking weed and stuff. Glad Houston is following Austin's lead on this.
This happened in 2006 as well...It was a complete disaster. The Judges that were swept in on the Obama ticket were so bad that nearly all democrats who worked as attorneys in the city crossed the aisle and voted against them in the next election.

The courts ground to halt, and there was total chaos.

A person needs more than just a letter next to their name to be qualified for some positions, especially something like a Judge, especially the County Judge.

You clearly have not been paying attention. Just watch for the chaos and idiocy that is about to ensue.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:13 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Judges shouldn't have party affiliation next to their names on the ballot. I think 99% of voters don't know a single thing about 99% of the judges.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:22 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
This happened in 2006 as well...It was a complete disaster. The Judges that were swept in on the Obama ticket were so bad that nearly all democrats who worked as attorneys in the city crossed the aisle and voted against them in the next election.

The courts ground to halt, and there was total chaos.

A person needs more than just a letter next to their name to be qualified for some positions, especially something like a Judge, especially the County Judge.

You clearly have not been paying attention. Just watch for the chaos and idiocy that is about to ensue.
Obama was on a ticket in 2006? Which one was that? It was a complete disaster you say? How so?

Sounds like a lot of conjecture to me. I think we'll be OK and the world will continue to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Judges shouldn't have party affiliation next to their names on the ballot. I think 99% of voters don't know a single thing about 99% of the judges.
That's probably true. The governmental structure of counties in Texas is the real problem though. I can't think of anywhere else I've lived where county judges that most people know very little about have so much power. It's kind of a weird system.

Also, I forgot just how long Harris County ballots can be, after years of voting in Virginia and DC. No wonder voter participation is so low and straight ticket voting so popular in Texas - just educating yourself on all of the myriad candidates in all of the myriad races is a job in and of itself. Add propositions and you can forget about it - much easier just to vote straight ticket and go on about your business. Which is probably by design.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM

19 posts, read 18,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Straight ticket voting.
Or there are just more democrats in Harris County than Republicans. Same thing happen in 2010 when republicans swept in with the tea party movement. No one was complaining about straight party ticket. Now its a problem.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:56 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Bears repeating: Judges shouldn't have party affiliations.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Obama was on a ticket in 2006? Which one was that? It was a complete disaster you say? How so?

Sounds like a lot of conjecture to me. I think we'll be OK and the world will continue to turn.

That's probably true. The governmental structure of counties in Texas is the real problem though. I can't think of anywhere else I've lived where county judges that most people know very little about have so much power. It's kind of a weird system.

Also, I forgot just how long Harris County ballots can be, after years of voting in Virginia and DC. No wonder voter participation is so low and straight ticket voting so popular in Texas - just educating yourself on all of the myriad candidates in all of the myriad races is a job in and of itself. Add propositions and you can forget about it - much easier just to vote straight ticket and go on about your business. Which is probably by design.
Well when your party is associated with anti-immigration, race baiting, and anti-birth citizenship, it's the judges fault for still associating with the R party. They could simply change affiliation to L if they don't like the D party but if they continue as R, they are saying they are lock step with Trump. I vote straight ticket D and if there is an R against an L I vote L.

Why do I do this? Harris County has one of the highest incarceration rates in the country and many juveniles are put into jail for minor reasons.

Last edited by cBach; 11-15-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 AM

150 posts, read 133,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Why do I do this? Harris County has one of the highest incarceration rates in the country and many juvelines are put into jail for minor reasons.

Yes, because violent crime is totally under control in Houston.

You'll get your wish now.

With a Democrat led CoH, Democrat led HPD, Democrat let HISD, and now Democrat led Harris County, we're in for a lot more Lamar High School-esque events.

Glen Devlin no doubt went crazy after the death of his son, but he sure was simply doing the will of the voters in Harris County last week.

The courts are going to be pure chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston