Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM

6,494 posts, read 4,113,520 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ONRf7h3Mdk

Travis Scott really put Houston on the map. The biggest American music video from last year, showed Houston's Skyline throughout the entire video.

If you ask most people under the age of 30 because of how much Travis Scott and Drake (non-Houstonian) rep Houston, it is quickly becoming a more popular city, and will continue to do so as long as these two rappers/singers are at the top of the music industry like they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,579,584 times
Houston has been on the hip-hop radar since 2005, when Houston rap just started getting national recognition. Travis Scott just took Houston higher.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:20 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,537,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
CityPlanner deemed unimportant by Houston's success in spite of having no zoning.

Philly and Chicago people seem to have a complex too.

One Shell, El Paso (or whatever the Tenneco building is called now), Pennzoil (forget what it is called now), Williams Tower, JP Morgan Chase (formerly Gulf Oil Building). Plenty of iconic buildings in Houston.
Chicago has an inferiority complex towards New York

Philly doesn't have an inferiority complex. It just *knows* it's inferior to New York and Washington DC, which it is sandwiched in between with no discernible metro region of its own.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:09 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Chicago has an inferiority complex towards New York

Philly doesn't have an inferiority complex. It just *knows* it's inferior to New York and Washington DC, which it is sandwiched in between with no discernible metro region of its own.
I disagree on Chicago. It never wanted to be NYC. I said this in many post from its post-1871 Great Fire and smaller one of blocks burnt a few years later.

It created a Ordinance that effectively prevented Tenement/Elevator style apartment buildings as the Workers Cottage home unattached-home took over for its blue-collar workforce and by the 1920s the Bungalow-Belt with 2-3-flats in the mix then did. Never was to be built like NYC.

What happened though ..... was a Manhattanization of the Loop and downtown crossing the river northward especially. A high high-rise to skyscraper-living population. But Pride in Self ..... was not Jealousy toward NYC. It merely wants its due as Philly even does. Philly too rejected more tenement-styles for 2-3 story row-housing. For Chicago ..... being seen as -- no longer merely the flyover Midwest in offerings. Was all it desired.

Chicago's podium-style with parking in the buildings ..... did not whatsoever mimic NYC style skyscraper building either. It has its own style as NYC does.

As for Houston. They crave recognition by size, population and GDP. Jack Lance surely agrees. Its inferiority is to see Chicago as passing in city-proper population will seal-the-deal and of course .... its Dallas one is unending. A spread-out more linier skyline is its big push in scope of having multiple CBD's skylines they tie together.

Chicago's Wrigleyville neighborhood. Downtown
in background. A couple years old, but still works.
Chicago isn't built as NYC. Not its style it chose.
But confidence in itself as a underdog always.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston has the most recognized skyline, survey says-wrigley-field-clark-addison-st-chicago  

Last edited by DavePa; 11-16-2019 at 05:41 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 06:34 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,542,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I disagree on Chicago. It never wanted to be NYC. I said this in many post from its post-1871 Great Fire and smaller one of blocks burnt a few years later.

It created a Ordinance that effectively prevented Tenement/Elevator style apartment buildings as the Workers Cottage home unattached-home took over for its blue-collar workforce and by the 1920s the Bungalow-Belt with 2-3-flats in the mix then did. Never was to be built like NYC.

What happened though ..... was a Manhattanization of the Loop and downtown crossing the river northward especially. A high high-rise to skyscraper-living population. But Pride in Self ..... was not Jealousy toward NYC. It merely wants its due as Philly even does. Philly too rejected more tenement-styles for 2-3 story row-housing. For Chicago ..... being seen as -- no longer merely the flyover Midwest in offerings. Was all it desired.

Chicago's podium-style with parking in the buildings ..... did not whatsoever mimic NYC style skyscraper building either. It has its own style as NYC does.

As for Houston. They crave recognition by size, population and GDP. Jack Lance surely agrees. Its inferiority is to see Chicago as passing in city-proper population will seal-the-deal and of course .... its Dallas one is unending. A spread-out more linier skyline is its big push in scope of having multiple CBD's skylines they tie together.

Chicago's Wrigleyville neighborhood. Downtown
in background. A couple years old, but still works.
Chicago isn't built as NYC. Not its style it chose.
But confidence in itself as a underdog always.
OK I know when I'm being called out. First every city, at least every American city, wants to emulate NYC in some way. Every City wants to be the center of something, and at least in that regard Houston does have that distinction covered.

Cities don't have inferiority complexes, people do, just like cities don't have ego's only people do. If there are people posting on CD that are projecting inferiority complexes, that very well may be, but it is not a reflection of any city, and should not be projected to the city at large.

You have never read any post of mine exclaiming the importance of Houston's population possibly, in the future, exceeding that of Chicago's, nor will you.

I don't think anybody would disagree that Houston gets more shade thrown at it than most other American cities, especially prosperous cities. There are some rust belt cities that get less respect but among thriving , prosperous Metro's, Houston tops the flame list, or is that just my inferiority complex revealing itself again...

Last edited by Jack Lance; 11-16-2019 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 11:55 PM

21 posts, read 16,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
OK I know when I'm being called out. First every city, at least every American city, wants to emulate NYC in some way. Every City wants to be the center of something, and at least in that regard Houston does have that distinction covered.

Cities don't have inferiority complexes, people do, just like cities don't have ego's only people do. If there are people posting on CD that are projecting inferiority complexes, that very well may be, but it is not a reflection of any city, and should not be projected to the city at large.

You have never read any post of mine exclaiming the importance of Houston's population possibly, in the future, exceeding that of Chicago's, nor will you.

I don't think anybody would disagree that Houston gets more shade thrown at it than most other American cities, especially prosperous cities. There are some rust belt cities that get less respect but among thriving , prosperous Metro's, Houston tops the flame list, or is that just my inferiority complex revealing itself again...
Maybe Phoenix is in the mix.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:24 AM

10,038 posts, read 6,741,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
That's because the irony is -- blander skylines lack the stand-outs to be more easily recognizable.

But honestly folks? What Houston skyscrapers .... are stand-outs in recognition and they instantly say .... Oh that's Houston of course?

I mean, one sees a skyline with the;
- Empire State building .... that's NYC
- Sears (Willis) Tower .......that's Chicago
- Golden Gate bridge ........that's SF

I feel Houston deserves its due recognition and every city for its due too. Do Houstonians really feel that their downtown skyline really stands out for visual recognized.
Since I was a little kid, I always found the TC Energy Building (formerly Bank of America Center) to make Houston’s skyline extremely recognizable with that building. You see the building, and you know it’s Houston, which would be the answer to this.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Since I was a little kid, I always found the TC Energy Building (formerly Bank of America Center) to make Houston’s skyline extremely recognizable with that building. You see the building, and you know it’s Houston, which would be the answer to this.
Most larger cities will have a stand-out building in its skyline that is different or taller to more attractive then the rest. It then gains more recognition if prevalent in its skyline.

Atlanta has its round Peachtree building. Seattle of course has the Space Needle still as a key recognition landmark. Dallas highlights its lighted buildings in the evening.

Nashville its Batman building as a smaller now faster growing city.
St Louis the Arch that rules its skyline.
Pittsburgh even has its gothic-like spired building

I think the thread title and link saying MOST RECOGNIZABLE had some question that? If it said of the South or Sunbelt? Then far less questioning .... till you think of Miami.

But of course too. The original survey link. Only used 4-cities asked to identify. Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas and LA. I'm surprised Atlanta was not used. If it replaced Philly .... then it could have been of key Sunbelt city skylines.

Just was a Big hook/bait in title of Houston MOST recognizable ..... till you realize it was only of 4-cities, a limited 4000 asked and even merely guesses. Always best to look further into the link to get the truth on this limited survey.

Houston as other cities. Still are evolving their skylines. I don't think Houston or Dallas has had some significant new skyscraper built for a while .... "that really stands out or becomes its new Icon" to its Skyline? but in the future..... it surely still can and probably will.

Houston clearly sees it doesn't get its due recognition. Most get that......but it still is evolving and hopefully more recognition worthy additions come. More live-in residents downtown surely will help.

More visit Cores of cities Some less one Core-Centric as Houston still. But still they Judge more by street-level and walking to attractions they prefer in a Core. That Houston still needs to improve. Low-requirements from Corporations to add to street-level ...... did not help. All new buildings hooking up to the Tunnel Network certainly won't help and so much of Old Houston allowed to be destroyed over more blending of old and new. I already noted how a block on and off Main Street Houston with OLD HOUSTON MORE INTACT. Remains more vibrant and you think - if only more was saved.

One Big wrench of absolutely no help, are the huge parking garages. Most just nothing street-level. Lucky if some trees got planted at least. More Planning and expectations for building approvals. Should be utilized.

Only Houston can improve itself. How it builds homes in areas that get flooding to its Core. Added cost can pay for themselves in the long-run. New buildings downtown can be the retail and eateries location on the block street-level too. Not just the tunnels.

Sadly, even on C-D. Houston rarely gets mentioned in list of cities with improving downtowns. Best that can be sad ..... is more high-rises built for a live-in population. But still not helping if most just enter the nearest tunnel.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:26 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,061,509 times
Have you ever heard of the Astrodome? I bet you'd know it if you saw it and you would also know what city it is in.

As far as downtown towers Pennzoil Place is iconic Houston.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:48 PM

10,038 posts, read 6,741,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Have you ever heard of the Astrodome? I bet you'd know it if you saw it and you would also know what city it is in.

As far as downtown towers Pennzoil Place is iconic Houston.
TC Entergy Center *
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston