Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think that for every person trying to "save" a black neighborhood from Gentrification their should be people making sure that the actual black neighborhoods are only 50%-75% black because the sign of a good black neighborhood, is one that doesn't scare of those that aren't blacks.

Those who aren't black would feel out of place in a black neighborhood. They could get by if they knew someone who lived in a black neighborhood, but generally those who aren't black who tried to move into a black neighborhood would get strange looks. Some black neighborhoods in Houston are welcoming to those who aren't black, others...not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 02:14 PM

45 posts, read 31,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreshomes44 View Post
houston keeps on winning.
yesssirrr!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:40 PM

169 posts, read 160,593 times
Nigerian, according to another member on this forum you just graduated from high school last year which would make you 18 or 19 at the most. Are you seriously lecturing me about development happening in Katy? I’ve been residing in Katy since 2008 and Far West Houston way before that. I lived in the Energy Corridor before I moved to south Katy.

When you were still at toy playing age I already knew about development projects in Katy. I witnessed the Katy Freeway and 99 expansion first hand. Who the hell knows where you were back then, I doubt you were even in Houston, and even if you did live here doing those years you were an elementary school kid. So don’t lecture me about anything. You live in north Katy which is still considered to be the backwoods of the Katy area, I have been living in South Katy where all the growth has been happening.

You still have a long ways to go and seriously show some respect.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:35 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
What do you mean fantasizing about skyscrapers. Did you read my post at all. Please reread my post.

first of all here is a picture of the Katy ISD boundaries which is considered the Katy Area. https://twitter.com/katyisd/status/459136585661833216

As you can see much of what you call the Energy Corridor is also in Katy. Like I said their not mutually exclusive, because if you live in an Energy Corridor apartment you might be zoned to Katy, ISD schools, which most people consider Katy ISD= Katy, they are almost completely synonymous.

So a portion of the Energy Corridor is already in Katy...

I specifically said, I don't see skyscrapers in Katy, I said spillover midrise development from the Energy Corridor. This is already happening.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7847...7i13312!8i6656

This is in Katy, Texas, area. Parts of Katy is also in Houston or Cypress address, wise because Houston annexes commercial strips of land hence LaCenterra is firmly in the heart of Katy, is a Houston address.
Their are plenty of empty plots of land along I-ten, many of these will give way to midrise buildings.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7892...7i13312!8i6656

You are putting words, in my mouth.
1. I never said Katy, would be taken up by Skyscrapers, I said the Katy residents would love to have the innovation corridor in Katy along I-ten. Because someone asked why Katy or Sugar Land doesn't take it. I said Sugar Land would likely say no because they have city limits, that wants to "maintain the character of Sugar Land". Katy doesn't have anything like Sugar Land with only 5%, yes 5% of it's current population living within the current city limits of Katy.

I said it isn't possible because the connection to Houston isn't there, as I stated Katy doesn't have the rail or buses (hinting at any sort of urbanity) to host something like the Innovation corridor.

You, completely ignored my words. Watch now you are going to completely ignore my words again. Please read my post before you actually post, instead of literally making up things about what I said Kay could do. I never said Katy would become filled with high-rises, I said "midrise" spillover from the Energy Corridor, which has already happened because a good portion of the Energy Corridor being part of Katy ISD, much of it is considered a part of the Katy area. For example everything west of Barker Cypress is 100% Katy and areas west of Highway 6 is debatable Katy, as they often call themselves Katy in business names, and are branded as part of the Katy Area. Look at the area considered the Energy Corridor on googlemaps.com

https://www.google.com/maps/place/En...!4d-95.6447411

It clearly includes neighborhoods in Katy and half of what's highlighted go to Katy ISD schools.
Katy starts at Fry Road. Everything East of that is Houston, even if it's in Katy ISD. Here's a link to zip code maps showing the same thing https://www.zipmap.net/Texas/Waller_County/Katy.htm

Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Katy starts at Fry Road. Everything East of that is Houston, even if it's in Katy ISD. Here's a link to zip code maps showing the same thing https://www.zipmap.net/Texas/Waller_County/Katy.htm
Disregard my previous post as it isn’t directed towards you.

But being in Houston doesn’t mean it’s not in Katy. Just like most of Kingwood and most of Clear Lake are in Houston but it doesn’t mean that their not Clear Lake or Kingwood. Katy is essentially western Houston past the Energy Corridor although a portion of the Energy Corridor is indisputably Katy.

Here is a more reputable source that states the boundaries of Katy not one source have I found says Katy starts at Fry Road, but this is mostly because Katy isn’t a true suburb as it has the City of Katy, but that in itself only defines a small part of it. Spring and Cypress are similar in this regard and Cypress is easily between 200,000-500,000 people depending on how you define Cypress. Katy which has pretty rigid borders compared to Cypress has 300,000 people living in it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...katy-area.html

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 02-08-2019 at 01:09 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post

Those who aren't black would feel out of place in a black neighborhood. They could get by if they knew someone who lived in a black neighborhood, but generally those who aren't black who tried to move into a black neighborhood would get strange looks. Some black neighborhoods in Houston are welcoming to those who aren't black, others...not so much.
Part of the reason people feel out of place in a black neighborhood is high crime (perception and reality) , but as crime rates are thankfully slowing down nationwide. (Murder rates are down to nearly 1950 levels of murder), this reason will evaporate, as actual high crime rate goes down the perception of black neighborhoods by non-black people improves as well. I’m an optimist and think may high crime areas will not only be gentrified but physically have murder dips to about the level of blacks in NYC. This is about 10 murders per 100,000 while still very high instead of being 4 times the current national rate it is currently twice that rate.

This in itself will lead to more integration as crime in Black America is basically halved, some black areas will be seen as safe areas while many of the hoods with reduced violence will be seen by many as a deal for inner loop housing. I think this might occur in 2040, especially with Houston adding 3 million people between now and then, mostly in the city as opposed to the suburb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston