Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:24 PM

45 posts, read 31,744 times

Advertisements

I'm not a big politics guy but I do live in Houston and I would love to see the city grow not just in population (which it will) but in transportation to accommodate the growth that's coming.

last year's midterm elections I paid attention more than ever thanks to Trump and the woman who beat Culberson I think his name is, does she believe in expanding Metro Light Rail to Houston's airports? and suburbs?

I think if metro expands to the suburbs it put Houston next level. I know everybody is going to complain about how much is going to cost taxpayers I think thats a weak argument because I own a car and like I said I live in Houston and I have to drive everywhere unless I'm going to stay in my own area I can walk to the store Walgreens or Kroger or HEB but if I had an option from my neighborhood (Spring Branch) to take light rail downtown I would take it in a heartbeat.

that saves me money on gas saves me money on car repairs I think that's worth the tax but that's just me anybody else have opinions on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey7 View Post
I'm not a big politics guy but I do live in Houston and I would love to see the city grow not just in population (which it will) but in transportation to accommodate the growth that's coming.

last year's midterm elections I paid attention more than ever thanks to Trump and the woman who beat Culberson I think his name is, does she believe in expanding Metro Light Rail to Houston's airports? and suburbs?

I think if metro expands to the suburbs it put Houston next level. I know everybody is going to complain about how much is going to cost taxpayers I think thats a weak argument because I own a car and like I said I live in Houston and I have to drive everywhere unless I'm going to stay in my own area I can walk to the store Walgreens or Kroger or HEB but if I had an option from my neighborhood (Spring Branch) to take light rail downtown I would take it in a heartbeat.

that saves me money on gas saves me money on car repairs I think that's worth the tax but that's just me anybody else have opinions on this?
The person who beat Culberson was Lizzie Fletcher not Lina Hidalgo. The later is the county judge.

And its true Culberson was a huge opponent of light rail expansion. Im not sure about Lizzie.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:14 PM

169 posts, read 160,343 times
No. Taxes are already high enough we don’t need more taxes. Why should I pay extra for something I won’t be using?

If you don’t want to use your car then take the metro bus and walk from there. Your problem is solved.

There is no demand for light rail in any suburb outside 610 including spring branch. BTW not everyone works in downtown. Sure you can fantasize it but it’s not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

And ask yourself where would the light rail be going through? The only available ROW is next to Westpark toll.

Are you going to walk from spring branch to southwest Houston just to use light rail? Have fun..

Last edited by Synott; 02-06-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 04:32 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Metro is now holding public meetings to gain input on the use of 7.2 billion in mass transit funds. Maybe you should get involved in those. I think there will be a light rail line that connects the current lines to the Uptown dedicated bus lanes eventually.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,163 times
I am baffled by the short-sighted position that if you don't use something personally, that you gain no benefit from it. EVERYONE benefits from having available good public transit, drivers and riders alike, by removing some percentage of vehicles from the roads and having options.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
Remember METRO is separate from the Harrid County government. Harris county does have it's own transit agency for Eastside cities not in METRO (namely Pasadena and Baytown)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey7 View Post
The METRO bus IMO just isnt enough for Houston nowadays, and perhaps people should consider using the transport system instead of not paying the taxes.

Or you may see other costs going down as a result of spending the money. Fewer drunk drivers means your car may not be totaled, or possibly you dont have to wait as long in traffic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
No. Taxes are already high enough we don’t need more taxes. Why should I pay extra for something I won’t be using?

If you don’t want to use your car then take the metro bus and walk from there. Your problem is solved.

There is no demand for light rail in any suburb outside 610 including spring branch. BTW not everyone works in downtown. Sure you can fantasize it but it’s not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

And ask yourself where would the light rail be going through? The only available ROW is next to Westpark toll.

Are you going to walk from spring branch to southwest Houston just to use light rail? Have fun..

Old 02-06-2019, 06:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The person who beat Culberson was Lizzie Fletcher not Lina Hidalgo. The later is the county judge.

And its true Culberson was a huge opponent of light rail expansion. Im not sure about Lizzie.
She backs Metros plan.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...-transit-plan/

Quote:
Fletcher says she learned during last year’s campaign just how frustrated her constituents are about their lack of transit options. “I want to be a partner with METRO,” she told Houston Matters Monday. “And looking at their plan, I know it’s undergoing input right now, community input, through all these town halls they’re doing. But I think it’s really important to be a partner and try to help in all the ways that you can in the federal government [to] implement and get funding for those plans.”
https://www.houstonpress.com/news/wi...tcher-11020882

Old 02-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Ahhhh�� I see

Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post

Valid points..

Old 02-06-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Metro is now holding public meetings to gain input on the use of 7.2 billion in mass transit funds. Maybe you should get involved in those. I think there will be a light rail line that connects the current lines to the Uptown dedicated bus lanes eventually.
Yes I'm looking now. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston