Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 07:25 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

The Houston Chronicle earned the prestigious Newspaper of the Year award on Sunday at the Texas Associated Press Managing Editors conference in Austin.
The Chronicle won a slew of other TAPME awards for its reporting, writing, photography and design efforts in 2018.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...e-13659469.php

You can check previous awards and categories here:
http://www.txapme.com/awards/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 07:36 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
I always liked the Houston Chronicle. It helped me alot in getting acquainted with Houston when I first moved there in 1975.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
APME award time was pretty much Christmas for us in the newsroom. Some of us got to get to go to the conference, travel etc. Smaller classifications than the Chronicle's were very competitive. A lot of the papers we competed with don't exist anymore, and neither does ours. For my own part, placed in spot sports writing, sports column and feature across the same four years, when most of my age peers were in college, and I was on the staff of a daily.

It was a good run, anyway.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:47 PM

24 posts, read 17,790 times
It’s a great newspaper. The paper boy always drops it off on my driveway early in the morning

Old 03-04-2019, 07:15 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Congrats to the Houston Chronicle. I've read it every day since the 70s (along with the Post -- RIP). They've made a lot of changes over the years, some of which I don't agree with, but it's still a decent paper. Most of the changes relate to saving money, and some are noticeable, but if that's what keeps them in print, then we have to live with it. I also read the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, so I know left & right when I see them.

I know someone will comment at some point how they don't read this commie-leaning, liberal poo-poo paper any more. Or make a sarcastic "oh, they're still around?" post. But if you look at it fairly and objectively, it's a middle-of-the-road paper. The editorials lean slightly left, but not obnoxiously so. And certainly not far left. And they have a few conservative columnists to balance things out. They also have a much more balanced view of the "energy industry in our country" than most local papers across the country (hello Texas!).

They also have one of the best Comics section of any paper in the US.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
I've always thought the Chronicle was a pretty good paper. My biggest beef with them is how some of their electronic media is presented and layout and stuff like that, but the content is generally solid. I get the print version of it anyway, and their paid site is much better, but I cannot stand their free site.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Congratulations to the Chronicle.

Never understood why Houstonians called it the red rag. That showed me their made up war with the media is just that.

IIRC, the Chronicle was the conservative, establishment paper for my whole life. They just bought the Post for the technical part of getting a paper out.

The local paper is the only way we will know what our local politicians are doing, day in and day out.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
But if you look at it fairly and objectively, it's a middle-of-the-road paper. The editorials lean slightly left, but not obnoxiously so. And certainly not far left.
You have to lean sightly to the opposite direction of the predominant position to open up to the other side's viewpoint. Otherwise, your organization becomes an echo chamber like Fox and Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
They just bought the Post for the technical part of getting a paper out.
Actually, they bought the Post's assets for the archives. Eventually they were able to make use of the Galleria office building.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:33 PM

24 posts, read 17,790 times
The chronicle is free of delivery for residents living in Houston single family homes right

Old 03-05-2019, 02:42 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCayman View Post
The chronicle is free of delivery for residents living in Houston single family homes right
What does this mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: