Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I presume that they would make an all out effort to save the San Jacinto Monument if the wind shifted direction? Right now the wind is in the opposite direction so the monument is not in jeopardy, but things could change.
Say what!?! Save the monument? How is a plume of smoke going to affect the San Jacinto Monument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
Do you think cancer rates will be on the rise in Houston because of this event? This is like Manhattan during 9/11 with the giant dust clouds from the collapse of the world trade centers
No. No no no.

The smoke is far overhead. It's not near the ground, which is why 99.99% of people can't even smell anything. There are a few people reporting "itchy throats", some of whom are probably ambulance chasers. Although there are probably some with very sensitive systems who are genuinely affected.

Tomorrow the wind is supposed to shift from the north, and all this smoke will start to blow out to the Gulf. And in a few days, it will be a memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
This city is disgusting, and it is led by a bunch of incompetent idiots.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
The city, the city council, the mayor, the county... they’re all idiots.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Link?
Channel 11 was reporting the flames were not visible from their on-site location, on their 10pm broadcast and that the smoke plum was noticeably thinner. Perhaps "under control" was a bit premature...

This may explain what Channel 11 was reporting https://abc13.com/fireball-erupts-as...rd-day/5205019

Last edited by Jack Lance; 03-20-2019 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 06:30 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Do you think cancer rates will be on the rise in Houston because of this event? This is like Manhattan during 9/11 with the giant dust clouds from the collapse of the world trade centers
No. You haven’t gotten cancer from sitting in traffic all day, have you? Vehicle tailpipes are actually at ground level and not a mile high like this plume was...

No telling how many filthy rats decomposed in 9/11. I’d rather not breathe them, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
This wouldn't even be the first time a cloud of benzene and other toxic stuff has hung over the city in the last couple years.
Pass chemistry first. Soot cloud aside, much of the hydrocarbons decomposed upon burning. Much like when you turn the key to start your car! That fire was basically behind the parking lot of my employer. No ill effects. I mean, I don’t have the lungs to breathe in soot a mile high and a mile-and-a-half down the road! You don’t run your car and have pure gasoline for exhaust. Same idea.

Quote:
Really? I lived in Houston all my life and don’t ever remember seeing a huge toxic cloud over the entire city including hard to reach areas such as West Houston
You’ve never been here through bad ozone days? Don’t get me wrong, the soot will fall out of the sky somewhere, but I turned south away from the plume and the sky looked quite nice yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Hey, you’re catching on! I hope this isn’t what led you to that conclusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The city, the city council, the mayor, the county... they’re all idiots.
True. I don’t live in Houston, so I didn’t vote for them. Oops.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
The fire is not within the city limits of Houston. Even the subject of this thread says "Deer Park fire".

So while you may (or may not) be correct in your assessment of city leadership, it has nothing to do with this thread. This is a COUNTY issue, not city. Maybe learning how local politics works would be a smart thing to do before people make comments in this thread.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:57 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
^^^
I was going to ask TheLESSYouKnow if he/she had any opinions on what the city could have done better regarding the fire.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Fire is out as of 3 am, but air quality in the Houston area is worse today than yesterday.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...c-13702618.php

airnow.gov/index.cfm ?action=airnow.local _city&zipcode=77584& submit=Go

Still not above 100, but it is at 93.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Say what!?! Save the monument? How is a plume of smoke going to affect the San Jacinto Monument?

You must not know much about fires. Even moderate amounts of smoke can cause quite a bit of damage to structures. We found that out in the fires in Austin in 2011. Lots of remediation to get smoke damage out.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Siri says that in Houston the Air Quality is "Unhealthy for sensitive groups".

Meanwhile the Air Quality is "good" here in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston