Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,244 times

Advertisements

I am building a house in Parkland Village in the Bridgeland community. Our house backs up against a "water well" according to the bridgeland community map. Its off of Mason RD and Summit Point Crossing.

The builder told us it would be like the other waterwells, which involve a small transformer and some water filtration stuff. We went and saw a bunch of them, didnt seem like a nuisance so we agreed to the deal.

Now our home is halfway finished and they are doing work on the waterwell area and they bring in a MASSIVE 750KW diesel generator. They have set it on foundation and bolted it to the ground so it isnt a temporary thing.

How can the nice community of bridgeland with their strict HOA and high prices put in a massive industrial generator which is surrounded very closely by homes on all sides. Why are they doing this and how can it be okay for safety, insurance, and noise ordinance of all the homes around it. My home is no more than 40 feet away from the generator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:26 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
That generator is what powers the well if the power goes out so you can still have clean water at your house, it isn't going to be running unless there's a serious issue going on or if it's being tested.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:59 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That generator is what powers the well if the power goes out so you can still have clean water at your house, it isn't going to be running unless there's a serious issue going on or if it's being tested.
This is almost certainly correct. You should view it as a positive - ensuring continuity of safe water availability in the event of a storm or other event.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM

I am very familiar with gensets. This size is as loud as a jet engine, and they must run every month for at least 30 minutes to exercise the engine. What about the diesel exhaust and who's HVAC happens to be downwind of it. What about the 500 gallons of diesel fuel. Its a liability nightmare that im paying a premium for? Its a noise ordnance violation. They easily operate at 80dB from 20' away with the sound panels installed.

All of the other water wells i have gone to in Bridgeland do not have generators, only a small transformer. Why have they put one here and why is it literally right next to the fence it shares with my house.

You guys wouldnt think this is so positive if it was in your back yard instead. How it is going to affect my resale value?

You all know the answers to these rhetorical questions. This is a totally screwed up situation, how the city can slap down a massive generator that could power the whole block, next to someones house.

The thing sticks up about 15 feet in the air, adjacent from my bedroom window. I guess im supposed to look at it for the rest of my life.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkoe View Post
I am very familiar with gensets. This size is as loud as a jet engine, and they must run every month for at least 30 minutes to exercise the engine. What about the diesel exhaust and who's HVAC happens to be downwind of it. What about the 500 gallons of diesel fuel. Its a liability nightmare that im paying a premium for? Its a noise ordnance violation. They easily operate at 80dB from 20' away with the sound panels installed.

All of the other water wells i have gone to in Bridgeland do not have generators, only a small transformer. Why have they put one here and why is it literally right next to the fence it shares with my house.

You guys wouldnt think this is so positive if it was in your back yard instead. How it is going to affect my resale value?

You all know the answers to these rhetorical questions. This is a totally screwed up situation, how the city can slap down a massive generator that could power the whole block, next to someones house.

The thing sticks up about 15 feet in the air, adjacent from my bedroom window. I guess im supposed to look at it for the rest of my life.
What "city" are you talking about? The only agencies involved in regulating what you're talking about in Bridgeland are Harris County and TCEQ (which oversees MUDs).

Old 08-02-2019, 10:37 AM

by city i am referring to the harris county MUD #489 and WCID#157, they are owned by the city.... no?

If i could post a picture to this site you can see how absurd this really is.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
by city i am referring to the harris county MUD #489 and WCID#157, they are owned by the city.... no?

No, MUDs and WCIDs are their own "governments." They are political subdivisions of the State of Texas, not of the City of {anywhere}.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:00 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:

MUD's are not owned by the City of Houston. Bridgeland is not in the City of Houston, it is unincorporated Harris County.

Are you sure it's a 750kVA generator? Those are on the order of 25+ feet long, 12 feet tall and 10 feet wide. I could believe a 75kVA generator for a water well.

There is little you can do about this.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:04 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
How can the nice community of bridgeland with their strict HOA and high prices put in a massive industrial generator which is surrounded very closely by homes on all sides.
In Bridgeland, the company Inframark does both the water infrastructure and association management. So you most likely won't be getting any assistance from the HOA on this.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
MUD's are not owned by the City of Houston. Bridgeland is not in the City of Houston, it is unincorporated Harris County.

Are you sure it's a 750kVA generator? Those are on the order of 25+ feet long, 12 feet tall and 10 feet wide. I could believe a 75kVA generator for a water well.

There is little you can do about this.
i found this online:

[url=http://waterwellbids.com/bid_opportunities/2018/05/12/8637641-bridgeland-water-well-no.-4-and-well-collection-line.html?y=2018&m=05&d=12&prjid=8637641&prjname=b ridgeland-water-well-no.-4-and-well-collection-line]Bid on Bridgeland Water Well No. 4 and Well Collection Line in Harris County | Water Well Bid Network[/url]

And yes, the dimensions are even bigger than you have described. It towers over the 8' brick wall developers fence.

I cant believe they would install this in a residential area without substantial buffer zone of land and trees.

It is my belief it backs up all of the water wells in the community. It is far too big for one well site.

Last edited by aaronkoe; 08-02-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston