Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:01 PM

63 posts, read 55,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Never did say we were looking in Aliana to begin with. We were closer to WPT and Clodine which still lies in the 77407 zip code. And from that area which is closer to West Houston it literally took us to the Galleria in 25 mins on a Sunday afternoon. I also drove to that area after work during rush hour( not Aliana) and it took me about 35 to 40 mins. Now on a Sunday coming from The Woodlands it’ll still take me about 35 to 45 mins to get to the Galleria and about 55 mins to an hour to get home during rush hour.

Commute is not any concern. Access to a major freeway to get to the city is not a major concern. I take 45 to get to anywhere now in Houston and hate it. I could use some relief of not having to use the freeways every time to go into the city.

My concern is flooding in that area not commute.
Out of any day Sundays have the least amount of traffic in Houston - especially Sunday afternoons. Houston is a very sleepy city on Sundays. If there’s any traffic it’s usually coming from suburbanite weekend warriors.

Let’s pinpoint your location as between FM 1464 and 1093 making that the heart of Clodine and the quickest viable route. If you owned a house in say, West Oaks Village, (a subdivision in the exact area your interested in) and you were to use FM 1093 (Westheimer Road) all the way to the Galleria it would take around 33 minutes without heavy traffic.

You can’t say it takes only 25 minutes. My house is approximately 10 miles away from the Galleria mall and it takes 28-30 minutes from my driveway to the Galleria mall using Westheimer.

I can get there in 14 minutes using Westpark Tollway but would rather not waste my money when I have so many other different routes I can use. That’s what makes living south of Westheimer more advantageous, I can use Richmond Avenue or Westpark Drive and of course Westpark Tollway if I’m in a rush. My house is just south of Westheimer Road and also in very close proximity to Westpark Tollway so I have best of both worlds. Living east of highway 6 makes things easier too.

As for flooding you don’t have anything to worry about. That Clodine area is not in a flood zone and didn’t take any damage from Harvey. The area doesn’t even have a history of flooding from past storms.

Last edited by Jamaraa; 08-20-2019 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 08:58 PM

226 posts, read 310,871 times
Quote:
So me and my wife have narrowed our search down to a couple of areas to move in in Houston and we’re really eyeing this area of Richmond closes to 99 and Westpark tollway in the zip code of 77407. I don’t know too much about this area personally but I do know there’s an abundance of good schools/ affordable homes/safe/ family friendly and in close proximity to Houston. I was a little concerned though because a relative of mine stated to me to be cautious of where in Richmond your moving to because it’s known to flood. She couldn’t give me any specific areas of Richmond so I’m asking if anyone has had any experience with flooding in that part of Richmond? Also if you live in that zip code, how is it generally? Would you recommend the area for a young family?
My mither lives in 77407, used to live in 77406. Yes, the Grand Mission area had some flooding during Harvey, and neighborhoods close to the Brazos off 359 may have flooded during the Tax Day floods of 2016, but I'm not aware of any areas that flood during summer downpours. Since a lot of that area is new MPCs, retention pond are built in. And the new MPCs are full of young families. My mother might just be the oldest homeowner on her street!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaraa View Post
Out of any day Sundays have the least amount of traffic in Houston - especially Sunday afternoons. Houston is a very sleepy city on Sundays. If there’s any traffic it’s usually coming from suburbanite weekend warriors.

Let’s pinpoint your location as between FM 1464 and 1093 making that the heart of Clodine and the quickest viable route. If you owned a house in say, West Oaks Village, (a subdivision in the exact area your interested in) and you were to use FM 1093 (Westheimer Road) all the way to the Galleria it would take around 33 minutes without heavy traffic.

You can’t say it takes only 25 minutes. My house is approximately 10 miles away from the Galleria mall and it takes 28-30 minutes from my driveway to the Galleria mall using Westheimer.

I can get there in 14 minutes using Westpark Tollway but would rather not waste my money when I have so many other different routes I can use. That’s what makes living south of Westheimer more advantageous, I can use Richmond Avenue or Westpark Drive and of course Westpark Tollway if I’m in a rush. My house is just south of Westheimer Road and also in very close proximity to Westpark Tollway so I have best of both worlds. Living east of highway 6 makes things easier too.

As for flooding you don’t have anything to worry about. That Clodine area is not in a flood zone and didn’t take any damage from Harvey. The area doesn’t even have a history of flooding from past storms.
Thanks for finally answering his concerns!

Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,053,003 times
OP, I may have you mistaken with another poster, but thought you were planning on moving up to the DFW area. Change your mind?

Old 08-21-2019, 10:30 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Thanks for finally answering his concerns!
EXACTLY! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
OP, I may have you mistaken with another poster, but thought you were planning on moving up to the DFW area. Change your mind?
You know me and my wife are still up in the air about moving to DFW,Houston or Atlanta. We're not completely set on either city yet but exploring our options and seeing which ones still fit our needs and wants the best. We're just now at the stage of narrowing down exact areas we actually like in all 3 cities. Visiting Atlanta in October(lived there before btw) to get a better feel and we'll more than likely make our decision by then.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:11 PM

63 posts, read 55,077 times
By the way, that area your looking at in Clodine around FM 1464 and Westpark Tollway is ghetto with undesirable individuals. Lots of people driving old run down oil burning cars and engaging in road rage over there in Clodine.

If your moving that far out you might as well live in south Katy or Aliana.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaraa View Post
By the way, that area your looking at in Clodine around FM 1464 and Westpark Tollway is ghetto with undesirable individuals. Lots of people driving old run down oil burning cars and engaging in road rage over there in Clodine.

If your moving that far out you might as well live in south Katy or Aliana.
I specifically said close to Clodine area not IN Clodine. I clearly know the difference between Richmond and Clodine.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:19 AM

183 posts, read 380,672 times
Are you looking at a specific neighborhood - I could give a a better answer. Ived live in Lakemont (Mason/1093)for the last 7 years. Not one home flooded during Harvey. To the east in Grand Mission, yes they flooded. To the north in Canyon Gate, yes they flooded. To the NW in Grand Lakes, yes they flooded. I know that was not your question so I will answer it. No, during normal thunderstorms and heavy rain, it does not flood. Streets may take on a little water but Ive never seen it rise above the curb. Again this may be dependent on what neighborhood youre looking at. The only place that is common to hold water, for a short period, is the underpass at 99 and 1093.

And to the poster who said 77407 is not close to any highways, 77407 is "North Richmond", not the city of Richmond on the Brazos River. There is literally 99, Westpark, and I-10 within 5 miles of any said house in 77407.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal1982 View Post
Are you looking at a specific neighborhood - I could give a a better answer. Ived live in Lakemont (Mason/1093)for the last 7 years. Not one home flooded during Harvey. To the east in Grand Mission, yes they flooded. To the north in Canyon Gate, yes they flooded. To the NW in Grand Lakes, yes they flooded. I know that was not your question so I will answer it. No, during normal thunderstorms and heavy rain, it does not flood. Streets may take on a little water but Ive never seen it rise above the curb. Again this may be dependent on what neighborhood youre looking at. The only place that is common to hold water, for a short period, is the underpass at 99 and 1093.

And to the poster who said 77407 is not close to any highways, 77407 is "North Richmond", not the city of Richmond on the Brazos River. There is literally 99, Westpark, and I-10 within 5 miles of any said house in 77407.
Thanks for all the info! I was actually looking in the Lakemont Ridge/Lakemont Terrace/ Grand Mission/Grand Misson Estates area. So I believe it was the area in between S Mason Rd and Grand Mission Blvd. Close to West Park Tollway.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 PM

183 posts, read 380,672 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the info! I was actually looking in the Lakemont Ridge/Lakemont Terrace/ Grand Mission/Grand Misson Estates area. So I believe it was the area in between S Mason Rd and Grand Mission Blvd. Close to West Park Tollway.
Id be careful with anything in Grand Mission. Now, Grand Mission Estates, running along Beechnut is brand new. I dont believe they have really been tested with heavy rainfall. Youd be fine anywhere in Lakemont, although it is completely built out, so not sure if you are looking for a new build. There is also Grand Vista, east of Harlem/Grand Mission Blvd, that is continuing to expand in size...not sure on flooding issues though. In general, this entire area fares well with rain and I would think the newer neighborhoods currently being built would do even better (larger retention ponds, higher elevations, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston