Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Face of Houston
Jose Altuve 12 63.16%
Deshaun Watson 2 10.53%
James Harden 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 06:28 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Growing up when earl Campbell, Warren moon, Nolan ryan, akeem the dream ruled - none of these guys now have the same impact those guys had.

This generation is about themselves and thats about it. They don’t live amongst us and you don’t see them with everyday folks. The media failed with David Carr and forced fed JJ to us as Andre Johnson was the real face then.

Their not carrying social issues such as what Moon faced, didnt have to deal with egotistical owners, etc. they felt more part of the community honestly then as their kids were in public school, etc.

Plus we didn’t need social media to prove if we’re helping the area - you just knew
The salaries are a lot different. There was a time in the early 80s when a bunch of the Oilers and many of the Rockets lived in Fondren Southwest. Don't believe Moses Malone lived over there, but I remember seeing him in the grocery a time or two (guess he was visiting). Earl lived in the area.

As for the face, how about Kate Upton? Hers gets shown a lot when the Astros are on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 07:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,888 times
I do think Watt is a great guy and will be remembered fondly by Houston for a long time. He's still probably got some good years left in him too. As an athlete he was really something to watch when he was 100% but football is a very rough game on the body. I just don't think he's the face of Houston sports, since as the op noted, he's been injured so much. I love watching Watson, for how exciting he can be (and he can be much better still if the Texans figure out that a good qb needs an offensive line). Altuve and Harden, however, are in another league. Altuve's one of the best in baseball now, and for a few years, he was the best position player in the whole game. Harden is now and has been for a few years the best player in basketball. Whoever you pick, it's a good time to be a sports fan living in Houston.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:29 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I do think Watt is a great guy and will be remembered fondly by Houston for a long time. He's still probably got some good years left in him too. As an athlete he was really something to watch when he was 100% but football is a very rough game on the body. I just don't think he's the face of Houston sports, since as the op noted, he's been injured so much. I love watching Watson, for how exciting he can be (and he can be much better still if the Texans figure out that a good qb needs an offensive line). Altuve and Harden, however, are in another league. Altuve's one of the best in baseball now, and for a few years, he was the best position player in the whole game. Harden is now and has been for a few years the best player in basketball. Whoever you pick, it's a good time to be a sports fan living in Houston.
This may be a little off topic, but the Texans fixed their Offensive Line issues this year, and Watson is an MVP candidate because of that.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:31 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This may be a little off topic, but the Texans fixed their Offensive Line issues this year, and Watson is an MVP candidate because of that.
I think Watson was considered one earlier in the season but not anymore. Especially after that performance on Sunday and the past couple of weeks minus the Patriots game.

It's clearly between Lamar Jackson and Russel Wilson at this point.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:03 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,099 times
I should have known better, my bad. Great site by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

Old 12-11-2019, 11:37 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I think Watson was considered one earlier in the season but not anymore. Especially after that performance on Sunday and the past couple of weeks minus the Patriots game.

It's clearly between Lamar Jackson and Russel Wilson at this point.
Well in that definition, Lamar is the lone candidate. Wilson has severely slowed down more so than Watson last few games. But Watson has been a top 3 QB this season is what I meant. Part in did to the improved O-line.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
The "face" of Houston would be what is perceived by those who are outside of that, and that's James Harden easily. I can pretty much guarantee he's the only guy that comes to mind for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston