Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 09:40 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,061,509 times

Advertisements

It’s possible the officer was just disoriented, especially if she was not familiar with the area. Some stretches of I-10 in that area have 2-way feeders on both sides of the highway. It’s possible she was driving eastbound on the feeder and drove through a stop sign? ...eventually reaching the exit ramp which she mistook for an on ramp? It’s a tragic death. I feel for her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 03:12 AM

403 posts, read 464,550 times
Houston is not in the top 20 of cities in America with the most traffic accidents.

https://quotewizard.com/news/posts/a...t-prone-cities

Old 12-21-2019, 05:44 PM

4,752 posts, read 3,002,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Houston is not in the top 20 of cities in America with the most traffic accidents.

But it has the most car accident deaths: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...t-12865072.php

Old 12-21-2019, 07:26 PM

403 posts, read 464,550 times
So those numbers are from 2001-2016 while my numbers are from the last year. Also, the chronicle didn’t include all metro areas in their list, only the top 12 largest metros in America.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:13 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,638,442 times
Quote:
So those numbers are from 2001-2016 while my numbers are from the last year.
Do "your" (you researched this yourself?) numbers reflect some significant improvement in local roadway safety?

Which is really to ask, what has changed since 2016?

Old 12-21-2019, 09:36 PM

4,752 posts, read 3,002,512 times
Quote:
So those numbers are from 2001-2016 while my numbers are from the last year. Also, the chronicle didn’t include all metro areas in their list, only the top 12 largest metros in America.
So the numbers you posted were analyzed over one year while what I posted was a study that took place over a decade. And Houston should only be compared to the largest metro areas, and not small ones like Bakersfield...

Old 12-22-2019, 02:56 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,661,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
It’s possible the officer was just disoriented, especially if she was not familiar with the area. Some stretches of I-10 in that area have 2-way feeders on both sides of the highway. It’s possible she was driving eastbound on the feeder and drove through a stop sign? ...eventually reaching the exit ramp which she mistook for an on ramp? It’s a tragic death. I feel for her family.
Cmon man. Disoriented? Not familiar with the area? That normally doesn’t equate getting on the wrong side of the interstate. It’s one thing if it was a residential road on a narrow 2 lane street with no lights but an interstate? Majority of the times, we know it’s cause the driver was intoxicated. We’re reserving judgement with her cause she’s a cop.

Quote:

That list has a couple of errors. Don’t know how trustworthy this site is if they can’t even get the basics right. Like Charlotte South Carolina is really more dangerous than Charlotte North Carolina? Lol

Old 12-22-2019, 06:04 AM

20,533 posts, read 33,660,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Having so many feeder roads, and almost relying on them, really messed things up. In many spots around town they act like mini-freeways being so wide but they also have so many driveways. I've seen cars turn left onto feeders and were luckily able to turn around the opposite directions.
It’s one of the main reasons why I hate them.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:51 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Cmon man. Disoriented? Not familiar with the area? That normally doesn’t equate getting on the wrong side of the interstate. It’s one thing if it was a residential road on a narrow 2 lane street with no lights but an interstate? Majority of the times, we know it’s cause the driver was intoxicated. We’re reserving judgement with her cause she’s a cop.

That list has a couple of errors. Don’t know how trustworthy this site is if they can’t even get the basics right. Like Charlotte South Carolina is really more dangerous than Charlotte North Carolina? Lol
Yeah, I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt. You’re right. Those 2-way feeder roads are confusing though!

Old 12-22-2019, 09:16 AM

31 posts, read 40,657 times
The original poster gave the reason in the very first post. The overwhelming majority of wrong way crashes result from intoxicated drivers, and Houston has a HUGE drunken driving problem. We have a large percentage of drunks, and a very inefficient mass transit system. Add in the proliferation of master planned communities that place commercial ares (bars) miles away from residences, forcing those drunks to drive to drink, and drive to get home, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Most wrong way crashes occur on two way roads, but the feeder road issue does allow for more highway crashes than areas without feeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston