Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 10:45 AM

190 posts, read 212,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
Bellaire and Lamar ain't what they used to be.

They would both be the 5th or so best high school in a strong suburban Houston school district.
So what are the strong suburban Houston school districts? I'd like to test that theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 11:12 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
So what are the strong suburban Houston school districts? I'd like to test that theory.
Conroe, Katy, Cy-Fair, Fort Bend. Friendswood and Tomball are also great but small so they don't even have 4 or 5 high schools.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:30 AM

190 posts, read 212,009 times
Quote:
Conroe, Katy, Cy-Fair, Fort Bend. Friendswood and Tomball are also great but small so they don't even have 4 or 5 high schools.
I'm not very familiar with the schools in those districts so I just went with the top ones according to Children at Risk. Since SES status is highly correlated with achievement and race I attempted to control for SES by just using the percentage of children showing mastery of all subjects (STARR) who where listed as white for race. This is what I got:

Lamar 47%
Bellaire 56%

KATY
Seven Lakes 56%
Tompkins 56%
Taylor 49%
Cinco Ranch 52%
Mayde Creek 38%

FORT BEND
Clements 46%
Ridge Point 52%
Stephen F. Austin 42%
Travis 38%
Dulles 45%

CONROE
The Woodlands 49%
College Park 47%
Oak Ridge 43%
Conroe 29%
Caney Creek 16%

CY-FAIR
Kerr 50%
Cypress Woods 50%
Cy-Fair 45%
Langham 47%
Cypress Creek 40%

Friendswood 42%
Tomball 50%

So just among that group using mastery of all subjects as the standard, Bellaire would rank first or tied for first in every district. Lamar would be 5th in Katy, 2nd in Fort Bend, tied for 2nd in Conroe, tied for 3rd in CY-Fair.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:33 PM

solid gymnastics you went through for those numbers.

I just went with schooldigger. Trend is in the wrong direction for both HISD high schools.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Pearland is ranked pretty highly. Glenda Dawson is #1 in Brazoria County and #32 in Texas.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:29 PM

45 posts, read 86,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
I'm not very familiar with the schools in those districts so I just went with the top ones according to Children at Risk. Since SES status is highly correlated with achievement and race I attempted to control for SES by just using the percentage of children showing mastery of all subjects (STARR) who where listed as white for race. This is what I got:

Lamar 47%
Bellaire 56%

KATY
Seven Lakes 56%
Tompkins 56%
Taylor 49%
Cinco Ranch 52%
Mayde Creek 38%

FORT BEND
Clements 46%
Ridge Point 52%
Stephen F. Austin 42%
Travis 38%
Dulles 45%

CONROE
The Woodlands 49%
College Park 47%
Oak Ridge 43%
Conroe 29%
Caney Creek 16%

CY-FAIR
Kerr 50%
Cypress Woods 50%
Cy-Fair 45%
Langham 47%
Cypress Creek 40%

Friendswood 42%
Tomball 50%

So just among that group using mastery of all subjects as the standard, Bellaire would rank first or tied for first in every district. Lamar would be 5th in Katy, 2nd in Fort Bend, tied for 2nd in Conroe, tied for 3rd in CY-Fair.
Where would Memorial be on this list?

Old 01-26-2020, 11:37 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
I'd suggest linking the specific pages if you want to use Schooldigger. The Schooldigger groups lump all racial and socioeconomic groups in showing test scores.

Also good to consider Children at Risk rankings too.

One note about both Lamar and Bellaire is that since say the 80s/90s they've been perceived as "two schools in one" with IB and AP students having different experiences from "regular" students.

One other thing is practicality: I visited Houston recently and the traffic is getting worse. Eventually trying to chase the "great suburban school" ideal if you're working in Downtown or maybe Uptown will be increasingly difficult.

Correction: Kerr HS is Alief ISD, not Cy-Fair ISD, and is magnet only!!

Children at Risk Houston area high school rankings:
* 2019: http://texasschoolguide.org/content/...kings_High.pdf
* What CaR thinks are above and beyond schools: https://texasschoolguide.org/content...anking_ALL.pdf

Schooldigger rankings for:

HISD:

SBISD:
CFISD
FBISD
Conroe ISD
Katy ISD
Friendswood ISD
Tomball ISD
Alief ISD
Quote:
solid gymnastics you went through for those numbers.

I just went with schooldigger. Trend is in the wrong direction for both HISD high schools.

Last edited by Vicman; 01-27-2020 at 12:10 AM..

Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 AM

You're a more patient man than myself. Thanks for posting the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I'd suggest linking the specific pages if you want to use Schooldigger. The Schooldigger groups lump all racial and socioeconomic groups in showing test scores.

Also good to consider Children at Risk rankings too.

One note about both Lamar and Bellaire is that since say the 80s/90s they've been perceived as "two schools in one" with IB and AP students having different experiences from "regular" students.

One other thing is practicality: I visited Houston recently and the traffic is getting worse. Eventually trying to chase the "great suburban school" ideal if you're working in Downtown or maybe Uptown will be increasingly difficult.

Correction: Kerr HS is Alief ISD, not Cy-Fair ISD, and is magnet only!!

Children at Risk Houston area high school rankings:
* 2019: http://texasschoolguide.org/content/...kings_High.pdf
* What CaR thinks are above and beyond schools: https://texasschoolguide.org/content...anking_ALL.pdf

Schooldigger rankings for:

HISD:

SBISD:
CFISD
FBISD
Conroe ISD
Katy ISD
Friendswood ISD
Tomball ISD
Alief ISD

Old 01-27-2020, 10:26 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Quote:
You're a more patient man than myself. Thanks for posting the links.
YW! i love linking documents so people come to their own conclusions

Old 01-29-2020, 05:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonianmom View Post
I would stay inside the Loop if at all possible. Long commutes are no fun.
It's either a long, uncomfortable bus ride on a time-consuming local route or driving on pothole-ridden streets and getting stuck in traffic jams with suburbanites going to their off-CBD workplaces.

I'd rather take the P&R bus if I worked in DT Houston! The time spent commuting on the local bus and the P&R bus is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
At least MUD taxes get retired after the infrastructure pays for itself, at least ideally. The toll roads, on the other hand..
Just don't buy near the toll road (stay away from the FBISD-LCISD border area). Lakemont is out, Bella Terra is out, and I can go on for everything along FM 1093/WPT to Fulshear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston