Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 11:16 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,096,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
more news media hyping it up than "us".

Astroworld provided a steady summer job for thousands of Houston youth regardless of where you came from. I met alot of folks there, you got hands on experience and it was easy money. the only knock that it was the smallest theme park in the system at the time and we didn't get the rides Dallas or California had. Pleasure Pier has basic rides, Kemah is basic also.

It was no coincidence Fiesta Texas struggled until Astroworld closed down. They went years with 2 roller coasters and Six Flags came in and changed it. Name another major city without a major amusement park?

Even Williamsburg, Virginia has 2 major parks within 60 miles of each other
Yep. My first job was running games (then rides) at Astroworld. And coming from the city, the summers spent as a middle- and early-high schooler grabbing a season pass and running around the park all day talking to girls are treasures memories.

But outside of providing employment/entertainment for teenagers, theres no great reason to have a theme park where Astroworld was - the space is too landlocked and limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,579,584 times
Astroworld has ran its course. If Astroworld was still around, I doubt it would get as much support as it got during it's prime. Besides, a 30-40 minute drive will take you to Kemah Boardwalk, which would probably be Astroworld's biggest competitor.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:54 AM

6,301 posts, read 7,542,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Nobody in the African American community is thinking about bringing Astroworld back. And no one is saying they tore down Astro World because of racism. What are you smoking? Leave that meth alone.
I did say it was a guess not a statement of fact, and I also didn't say they tore down Astroworld because of racism, I said they,( the AA community) may believe there is no amusement park in Houston proper because of demographics ie racism. So the Mayor may feel its necessary for him to get involved in what otherwise would be a free market decision.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:29 PM

10,038 posts, read 6,741,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I’m not a Sylvester Turner fan. I agree with you having a them park is not a priority, but I also don’t see any noise about this. Where are you seeing this being pushed? Where exactly does he want to build one?
I’ve seen a lot of noise about it. And his plan is “somewhere within the city limits”. Which in my opinion isn’t a good idea. Either improve Kemah Boardwalk or speed up Grand Texas. It’s better for theme parks in the suburbs.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I haven't heard it as much lately, but for awhile it seemed that many many people were utterly convinced that Houston was a second-class city (compared to other metros of similar population) because it didn't have a theme park. I'm not a theme park person, so that claim didn't resonate with me, but maybe others who feel differently can weigh in?

Another thing I used to see, especially in this forum, was the claim that Houston needed "Miami, Vegas and Los Angeles-style luxury nightclubs" to be "legit." Huh? Who cares about that stuff?
So the Kemah Boardwalk and Pleasure Piet don’t exist? I get they may want a bigger one, there’s already one under development.

About the “nightclub” thing, I have got to tell you, These forums are stupid when it comes to talking about entertainment/pop culture. Every time I’ve seen people here have a debate about “what place has a better club scene/music festival/etc” it sounds like people haven’t actually been to those places (Atleast recently). Houston is more than fine when it comes to “Vegas styled luxury night clubs”. The CLE group has built an empire of these types of clubs. Houston has the best night club scene in the census definition of American South after Miami and maybe Atlanta (this one is debatable).

Old 01-07-2020, 04:08 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,661,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I did say it was a guess not a statement of fact, and I also didn't say they tore down Astroworld because of racism, I said they,( the AA community) may believe there is no amusement park in Houston proper because of demographics ie racism. So the Mayor may feel its necessary for him to get involved in what otherwise would be a free market decision.
Yeah that's exactly what I said. No one in Houston's AA community is saying theirs a conspiracy to not build a theme park because of racism. You clearly pulled that one out your butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
So the Kemah Boardwalk and Pleasure Piet don’t exist? I get they may want a bigger one, there’s already one under development.

About the “nightclub” thing, I have got to tell you, These forums are stupid when it comes to talking about entertainment/pop culture. Every time I’ve seen people here have a debate about “what place has a better club scene/music festival/etc” it sounds like people haven’t actually been to those places (Atleast recently). Houston is more than fine when it comes to “Vegas styled luxury night clubs”. The CLE group has built an empire of these types of clubs. Houston has the best night club scene in the census definition of American South after Miami and maybe Atlanta (this one is debatable).
Yeah I'd say Houston is right up there honestly. And I've lived in Atlanta and been to Miami. There's always something to do.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:18 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,542,879 times
Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what I said. No one in Houston's AA community is saying theirs a conspiracy to not build a theme park because of racism. You clearly pulled that one out your butt. .
No that's not what you posted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr
Nobody in the African American community is thinking about bringing Astroworld back. And no one is saying they tore down Astro World because of racism. What are you smoking? Leave that meth alone.
Conspiracy ? Who said anything about a conspiracy ? You obviously have a hard time understanding nuances of language . Don't put words in my mouth then pull them back out of your own ...

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-07-2020 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what I said. No one in Houston's AA community is saying theirs a conspiracy to not build a theme park because of racism. You clearly pulled that one out your butt.

Yeah I'd say Houston is right up there honestly. And I've lived in Atlanta and been to Miami. There's always something to do.
I'll go as far as saying the Houston night club scene is better than Los Angeles, which he listed on his random trio.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:20 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,490,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I haven't heard it as much lately, but for awhile it seemed that many many people were utterly convinced that Houston was a second-class city (compared to other metros of similar population) because it didn't have a theme park. I'm not a theme park person, so that claim didn't resonate with me, but maybe others who feel differently can weigh in?

Another thing I used to see, especially in this forum, was the claim that Houston needed "Miami, Vegas and Los Angeles-style luxury nightclubs" to be "legit." Huh? Who cares about that stuff?
I'm not a theme park person either since it's like entering a prison to buy high-priced necessities (water on a hot day, food, soda, etc.) and overpriced low-quality trinkets (e.g. souvenirs).

But Channel 11 mentioned on the 4/11 News at 4 PM that Harpers Bazaar named Houston as one of the "20 Best Places to Travel in 2020."

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...to-visit-2020/

Quote:
In many ways, Houston is kind of like Dubai, using its wealth earned from the region’s natural assets to import high culture, like state-of-the-art museums to world-class performing arts centers. It’s certainly worked for Dubai (you’ll find the emirate on many other “best of” lists this season), and efforts are already starting to pay-off in southern Texas.
And it goes on about the MFAH expansion, the Botanic Garden completion, and the Farmers Market expansion.

Good nightlife is one way to attract the American Establishment and the Global jet-set elite to Houston and make an introduction to some other subjects, mostly economic (e.g. jobs, relocations, word-of-mouth advertising for tourism/business, etc.)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Astroworld provided a steady summer job for thousands of Houston youth regardless of where you came from. I met alot of folks there, you got hands on experience and it was easy money. the only knock that it was the smallest theme park in the system at the time and we didn't get the rides Dallas or California had.
Mayor Turner had the Summer Youth Job fair last year. He has been big about the job market in Houston.

That job fair was used as an example in his recent re-election campaign. Touting that job fair for youth helped him in his re-election bid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
My guess is they believe the reason there is no amusement park in the City proper is because of demographics (ie racism) and not practical issues...
Metro Buses is usually used as a socioeconomic dogwhistle by affluent (mostly-white) suburbanites who drove on the freeways and paid for parking.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:28 PM

180 posts, read 129,707 times
As a native Houstonian who has not lived in the area for 11 years, reading these posts reminds me of why I moved.

Do you people realize how lame Houston is? I mean if I did not have family in Houston I would NEVER GO BACK! It hurts me to say this, but I was recently in Dallas and looking at all it had to offer compared to Houston brought tears to my eyes.

It’s absolutely ridiculous, and the attitude displayed on this board is one of the reasons why people view Houston as a second rate city. I haven’t seen this level of parochialism since I lived in western NY and that town had 12K people!

Pull your heads out of your rears and open your eyes. Houston is flat, hot and humid, has no discernible seasons, is constantly at risk of flooding and is a one trick pony economically. Now before you say a lot of cities are like that, I will agree. NYC, DC and LA are also pretty much one trick ponies economically. You know what those cities have that Houston doesn’t? History, culture, and fun things to do for families and friends who visit. DC has more museums than any place on earth, as well as a great restaurant scene and beautiful parks and other outdoor activities. NYC has museums, entertainment, art and music, and LA has Hollywood. Also, all of these places put a premium on tourism, which is the largest industry on the planet. Would anyone of us pay for a tour of Houston?

I think getting an amusement park built in the city may be the best thing a mayor of Houston has done since Lanier and Brown got the Astros and TC stadiums built in Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston