Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM

19 posts, read 67,918 times

Advertisements

Was looking to move back to Texas(I lived in southwest Houston in the 80s)but now Im looking at North Houston possibly even way up to Onalaska area.Its only my husband and I (as we have a empty nest now) Ive spent most of my life in California and have been here in Hawaii for the last 5 years(just too expensive) Texas has always been in my heart and Im hoping to talk hubby into it.He loves to surf so its going to be a sacrifice for him to trade for a lake Ha! But he likes to fish.Anyway,Im torn between Lake Conroe and Onalaska area. How far is grocery stores from Onalaska? Is it too isolated? Was looking for a fixer upper.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,273 times
You will find more value (cheaper prices) on Lake Livingston than you will will on Lake Conroe due to it's distance from everything and the overall "make up" of the lake... Can't speak for Livingston but a fixer on Conroe will start at about 300K which probably sounds inexpensive to you after being in Hawaii and CA.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 PM

Thanks! we're looking for something under 200,000.So I guess Livingston might be more affordable. Got the home here for sale (339,000.00)but after paying off debts, well you get the picture. Thanks for your reply, I hope to get to Texas in Sept. To look around.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 AM

2 posts, read 20,471 times
Well I Think That If You Are Wanting To Move To North Houston The Woodlands Would Be A Really Good Place To Start A Family...its Reall Pretty And It Has Grocery Stores All Over The Place...lake Conro Is Too Far And Lake Livingston Is Way Too Far..so I Guess If You Like To Live Out In The Country Then Go With Livingston But If U Like The Both Country And City Then Go With The Woodlans...

Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
I think the OP is looking for a lake, and lake lifestyle, not a suburb.

Why not Austin's out lying lake areas? Marble Falls and lake LBJ? Better water, better weather, a quieter lake for better fishing, and well...it's the hill country.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Thanks to all for the info, There alot of choices in Texas!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I think the OP is looking for a lake, and lake lifestyle, not a suburb.

Why not Austin's out lying lake areas? Marble Falls and lake LBJ? Better water, better weather, a quieter lake for better fishing, and well...it's the hill country.
EA, good observation but note the op's price range of < 200K for waterfront...No way they are going to be able to find it there, probably better off looking for a fixer in Livingston...

Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,851 times
Although not quite as sexy, there are some options that cover your interests east of Lake Houston, like around Huffman and those places. Just another option to consider.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Thanks ,I'll check into those as well, Again I appreciate all your helpful tips and input on good ol Houston.Cant wait to get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston