Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 78,767 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering transferring to Houston for his job (he could go about anywhere, but Houston's made it to the top of the contendor list ) from the Seattle area.

My problem is *my* job - mainly, I don't have a clue where to start looking. I currently work for an insurance brokerage firm/agency and would like to continue with this. Does anyone know who the major brokerage firms are in the Houston area that I should check out? It would help if you could tell me where they are in relation to the good houses

Also, from reading through a few past threads, there seems to be some contention about at what price point one can find a good neighborhood with a quality school district. Up here, a 1144 sq ft 3 br house 40 miles from Seattle is about $240k. We need more space, but cannot afford to upgrade to a bigger house where we currently live... From online searches, there seem to be a TON of cute, well-maintained homes in the $130-$150k range in Houston that are nearly twice as big as our current home. That seems appealing, as we could probably afford for me to be a SAHM when we have our next baby. Can we honestly get a good neighborhood and schools for that price? If not, what should we expect to pay for a 1700+ sq ft 3-4 br house? Any specific developments or suburbs?

From doing online research about the Houston schools, some things I think will be important to us are low free-lunch rate, substantial percentage of caucasion population (I've seen some with as low as 3%), high graduation rate and good test scores. I hope that doesn't come across as elitist - we just want as much status quo as possible for our 3rd grader.

I should add that my current commute is 1-2 hours each way, and I absolutely would not consider another long commute

Sorry this is so long! Any help you could provide is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 03:42 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,449,313 times
Welcome to Houston.

Here's a little primer:

Stay away from anything in HISD, Spring ISD, Alief ISD or Aldine ISD.

Look at properties in Klein ISD, Conroe ISD, Katy ISD, Tomball ISD, Cy-Fair ISD and Ft. Bend ISD.

Check out homes in The Woodlands, Cypress, Spring, Klein, Champions, Tomball, Cy-Fair, Katy, Sugar Land, Pearland, Friendswood, Kingwood.

The highest percentage of caucasians (and schools with the least number on ESL and Free Lunch programs) are in the North to West quadrant.

Check out homes in the following high school zones: Kingwood, The Woodlands, College Park, Klein, Klein Oak, Klein Collins, Cy-Creek, Cy-Fair, Cy-Woods, Tomball, Katy Taylor, Katy, Seven Lakes, Cinco Ranch, Memorial, Stratford, Clear Lake, Clear Creek.

www.HAR.com is the de-facto best site in Greater Houston to search for MLS listings.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 01-04-2007 at 03:58 PM..

Old 01-04-2007, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 78,767 times
Very helpful, Mr. Football. Thank you! *off to do more real estate surfing*

Old 01-04-2007, 03:54 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,449,313 times
If you like trees and naturally wooded areas: The Woodlands, Cypress, Tomball, Spring, Klein, Champions & Kingwood

If you prefer open spaces: Katy, Cy-Fair, Sugar Land, Pearland

Close to the Bay and the coast: Clear Lake, Friendswood and Pearland

All have terrific choices.

Here are some pictures of Longwood in Cypress:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/longwoo...7594383900219/
Prices range from the $170's to $1 Million

More Cypress pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/longwood/

Old 01-04-2007, 04:30 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,080,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Welcome to Houston.

Here's a little primer:

Stay away from anything in HISD, Spring ISD, Alief ISD or Aldine ISD.
Careful, careful, careful - there are good parts of Houston ISD, but one must have a lot of money to buy in the areas. They may be over your initial budget.

The best areas to buy in Houston ISD are Bellaire HS and Lamar HS, which are plurality White and middle class high schools. Try to be zoned to Pershing MS/Pin Oak MS or Lanier MS (both are also plurality White and middle class).

There are several good elementary schools in HISD, but it gets tougher for middle and high schools.

Also HISD has magnet programs, which allow parents to cherry-pick desired schools.

The parts of Spring Branch ISD zoned to Stratford HS and Memorial HS are good, but expensive too.

Honestly, though, I'd choose your residence AFTER you get your job.

Once you get your job, choose a school district...
* If you work in Downtown: Houston ISD/Spring Branch ISD (if possible) - or whatever suburban district is closest
* Texas Medical Center: Houston ISD/Spring Branch ISD/Pearland ISD/Alvin ISD
* Westchase/Energy Corridor: Western Houston ISD/Spring Branch ISD/Katy ISD
* Clear Lake: Clear Creek ISD
* Greenspoint: Klein ISD/Tomball ISD/Conroe ISD
* The Woodlands: Conroe ISD/Tomball ISD
* Northwest Harris County: Klein ISD/Tomball ISD/Conroe ISD

Obviously, you can live in other areas, but expect longer commutes.

Last edited by Vicman; 01-04-2007 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,851,505 times
insurance brokerage firm/agency

These are in all areas of the city. I'd suggest looking in whatever area of town your husband's job will be, seeing if there is something around that area. That way you'll have similar commutes and can choose your home based on that. Aim to live in a desirable area while still having a reasonable commute.

There are several areas for homes that would meet your requirements. There are many master-planned communities, meaning they have homes, shopping, parks etc all in one area. Examples are The Woodlands, Cinco Ranch in Katy, First Colony and Sienna Plantation in Fort Bend. These are all suburbs outside of Houston. In Houston are other options, but things may not look like what you're used too... no zoning and some areas look like kind of a mess. You just have to look around for what looks good to you.

It's a big city with lots and lots of areas for nice homes and neighborhoods. HAR.com is a great site for looking. I'd say find out more about the job situation first, then start looking at homes. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:57 AM

146 posts, read 572,192 times
Default Avoid HISD for your 3rd grader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Careful, careful, careful - there are good parts of Houston ISD....The best areas to buy in Houston ISD are Bellaire HS and Lamar HS, which are plurality White and middle class high schools. Try to be zoned to Pershing MS/Pin Oak MS or Lanier MS (both are also plurality White and middle class).

There are several good elementary schools in HISD, but it gets tougher for middle and high schools.

Also HISD has magnet programs, which allow parents to cherry-pick desired schools. .
Mr. Football had it right..avoid Houston Independent School District at all costs. It would be unethical for anyone to recommend HISD for your 3rd grader when there are viable alternatives.

Bellaire and Lamar are the best high schools HISD has to offer (w/the exception of Carnegie) but they just don't come close to the high schools in Fort Bend County ISD(south near Sugarland), Katy ISD(west of Houston) or the fabulous Cy-Fair ISD(north of Houston). And the SW side of Houston, where Bellaire's located, is becoming more and more dangerous. Lamar HS is not what it used to be and even the parents living in the tony neighborhood of River Oaks, where that school is, opt for private.

Getting into Rogers MS or Lanier MS is nearly impossible--kids have to have a 95+ percentile (G/T) and both schools have a cluster of "neighborhood kids" attending.

Good elementary schools are few and fair between. Schools labeled magnet do not ensure quality at all. Look at the greatschools site and check out demographics and scores. Many parents opt for private schools when they live inside the city proper and are zoned for HISD. Be careful. It's better to commute into downtown that be zoned in HISD.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM

I will send a PM to you shortly, English teacher.

Okay, HISD is out of the question for them because they do not have enough money to buy into the Lamar and Bellaire zones.

Lamar's and Bellaire's best programs rival the suburban districts... but, again, Applebutter doesn't have enough money to buy into the zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Mr. Football had it right..avoid Houston Independent School District at all costs. It would be unethical for anyone to recommend HISD for your 3rd grader when there are viable alternatives.

Bellaire and Lamar are the best high schools HISD has to offer (w/the exception of Carnegie) but they just don't come close to the high schools in Fort Bend County ISD(south near Sugarland), Katy ISD(west of Houston) or the fabulous Cy-Fair ISD(north of Houston). And the SW side of Houston, where Bellaire's located, is becoming more and more dangerous. Lamar HS is not what it used to be and even the parents living in the tony neighborhood of River Oaks, where that school is, opt for private.

Getting into Rogers MS or Lanier MS is nearly impossible--kids have to have a 95+ percentile (G/T) and both schools have a cluster of "neighborhood kids" attending.

Good elementary schools are few and fair between. Schools labeled magnet do not ensure quality at all. Look at the greatschools site and check out demographics and scores. Many parents opt for private schools when they live inside the city proper and are zoned for HISD. Be careful. It's better to commute into downtown that be zoned in HISD.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:31 AM

EDIT: Here are examples of Greatschools profiles for high schools:
* Lamar HS: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/tx/3449
* Bellaire HS: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/tx/3350
These two schools are moot for AppleButter, as the zones are out of Applebutter's budget, but, they are here as examples.

1. Applebutter doesn't have enough money to buy into the zones for Lamar HS and Bellaire HS.

2. Lamar's and Bellaire's best programs easily rival the suburban programs. But, Applebutter doesn't have enough money to buy in the areas zoned to the schools, so... that's a moot point.

" It would be unethical for anyone to recommend HISD for your 3rd grader when there are viable alternatives. "

Incorrect... IF you get into the right school. West University ES, etc. are good IF the parent works in Downtown or areas close by.

If you do not get into the right school, THEN it's true.

I showed Applebutter the profiles for West U and River Oaks elementaries, Lanier, Pershing, and Pin Oak Middle Schools, and Lamar and Bellaire high schools. All are considered to be good, BUT, again, they are out of Applebutter's budget.

"And the SW side of Houston, where Bellaire's located, is becoming more and more dangerous. Lamar HS is not what it used to be and even the parents living in the tony neighborhood of River Oaks, where that school is, opt for private."

Okay, I looked at the attendance zone for Bellaire - The "dangerous" areas of "SW Houston" are more or less zoned to Westbury, Lee, and Sharpstown.

The city of Bellaire, Meyerland, Flack Estates, and parts of the Braeswood area are zoned to Bellaire High School.

The ghetto apartments tend to be zoned to Westbury, Lee, and Sharpstown.

I still know several River Oaks families who send their kids to Lamar. Not everyone, obviously, but several do.

"
"

True for Rogers MS, but for Lanier some people are zoned there.

Rogers does not have an attendance zone.

"
Many parents opt for private schools when they live inside the city proper and are zoned for HISD. "

Okay, "the city proper" is misleading, because there are many areas inside the city limits of Houston that are NOT in HISD, and there are areas in HISD that are NOT in Houston.

It's true that many send their kids to private school, but, many middle/upper class families send their kids to public school too.

The thing is, though, is that HISD has certain schools that are "good" - Others are virtually shunned by middle and upper class parents. Everything that I found at 150K for HISD is either zoned to Westbury or another crappy school. So, AppleButter is looking for the suburban schools

Old 01-05-2007, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 65,735 times
We are from San Diego and moved here two years ago. We are in our mid 30’s with two kids that are 5 & 7, so our criteria is probably similar to yours. I do not have to commute to work, so that was a factor I did not consider. Overall, it was a great decision and my wife no longer has to work. I joke that she gets to live the resort lifestyle.

Since you have young kids, your best bet might be a master planned community
http://www.har.com/masterplanned/dis...20ESTATES%2008 (broken link)

I did a ton of research on the web, and then we came to Houston and spent a week looking around.
www.har.com/indexschoolfinder.cfm
www.har.com
www.psk12.com
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
www.relocationessentials.com
www.houstontx.gov/oem/v3.jpg (broken link)
www.hctra.com/system/map.html

Things I learned:
1. Texas has there own set of retarded mortgage laws, so use a broker or lender with an office in Texas.
2. A lot of home construction is done on the honor system with the builders doing self-inspection, so be sure to have an independent inspector take a really good look at the home (new or resale) before you buy it.
3. Your cost of living will go down so much, that when you see your bank balance you will stress out wondering what bills were not paid.
4. Texas does not have income tax, but property taxes are higher, and property tax varies by neighborhood.
5. Newer homes (<5 years) are MUCH more energy efficient, which will save you a TON of money on utilities.
6. Houston does not have zoning laws = big problem.
7. Flood plain = higher insurance premiums.
8. Houston is a buyers market, so negotiate 15-20% off or walk.

Oh BTW we bought in Cinco Ranch. We have about 25 kids on our street that are about the same age as ours. In the summertime they all go to the waterpark or beach club together just about everyday.

Good luck

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston