Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 11:05 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
NBC is wrong. Texas can (and did) borrow power from the eastern grid until the freeze hit them too and they needed the power for themselves.

"The Texas Interconnection is tied to the Eastern Interconnection with two DC ties, and has a DC tie and a VFT to non-NERC systems in Mexico."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Interconnection

It appears that inadequate preparations are the main culprit and those preparations can be mandated by the state while remaining independent. I see the solution as fixing our system not surrendering control of our system. We don't need the feds telling us what percentage of power must come from what source, that we must shut down operational coal plants, that we must pay federal taxes, etc.
The connection to the East is limited to 600MW, and is located in Northeast Texas in Titus County, on the site of the now closed Monticello coal fired generating plant. That plant, plus two other coal fired plants in East Texas, closed because they couldn't compete with gas on cost. Feds had nothing to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 11:41 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
As long as we have power, who cares?
Well we are still in a high risk zone.
Power supply has been improved, but there is still increased demand for these two upcoming nights.
Fortunately most likely it's not going to drop below 20 as initially predicted.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
This article is from North Texas, but it is valid in South and Southeast Texas as well.
Water pipe bursts expected to get 'exponentially worse' as things start to thaw out

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/new...1-d6e505e23787

Old 02-18-2021, 12:05 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
We keep getting these "once-in-a-lifetime" disasters in Houston.

Thankfully, our lights are back on in the Montrose area.

Hopefully our water pressure comes back on in time for Ted Cruz to finish his vacation in Mexico.
At this point might as well call them every now and then disasters.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:39 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well we are still in a high risk zone.
Power supply has been improved, but there is still increased demand for these two upcoming nights.
Fortunately most likely it's not going to drop below 20 as initially predicted.

The power providers have exacerbated their own problems through failure to adequately communicate with their customers. Let's think about what is and will be happening. They really need people to lower their heat and reduce the energy load right now. But as a result of being without power and not knowing if their power will cut off at any second, those with power are cranking the heat to the max while they can.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:16 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Much like my guy Redlion, I don't like either party myself. But there's plenty of evidence that Democrats do much bigger preventative measurememts and are willing to invest on disaster prevention. As much as Ed Emmett gets praise for, he sit on his ass watching Harris County's failure of a drainage system fail 3 years in a row and do nothing. And hate Lina for what you want, but she's 100% more willing to put the money where it matters in terms of disaster prevention.

This will no doubt cause a tiny blue wave, but I don't expect it to be that major. Most people who already don't care about the fallout of the republican party will already find ways to find a way to blame the democratic party. Heck, they're already doing it. There will be a difference, but not much.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:51 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
The governing philosophies between the parties, summed up:

Democrats take your money and give it to other people.

Republicans take your money and keep it for themselves.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:18 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Much like my guy Redlion, I don't like either party myself. But there's plenty of evidence that Democrats do much bigger preventative measurememts and are willing to invest on disaster prevention. As much as Ed Emmett gets praise for, he sit on his ass watching Harris County's failure of a drainage system fail 3 years in a row and do nothing. And hate Lina for what you want, but she's 100% more willing to put the money where it matters in terms of disaster prevention.

This will no doubt cause a tiny blue wave, but I don't expect it to be that major. Most people who already don't care about the fallout of the republican party will already find ways to find a way to blame the democratic party. Heck, they're already doing it. There will be a difference, but not much.
Lina Hidalgo is also putting money into areas that have been ignored in the past, because poor people don't contribute to election coffers. The County has spent tons of money on rich white folks in the past, but the RWF's are getting all whiny about how important they are and why isn't the money being spent on them.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:46 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
I'm just waiting for Starbucks to open back up.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 2,621 times
Default Houston Water Restored Everywhere?

I have two sources of information. Unfortunately, they dispute one another.

Information Source 1: Internet, including city water department. These sources say water is restored in Houston

Information Source 2: My kitchen faucet. No water coming through.

SEEKING 3rd Information Source: This forum.

Is water restored in Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston