Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 07:48 AM

186 posts, read 209,733 times

Advertisements

I drive a midsize SUV that I bought 3 years ago. I've had to replace the windshield a month after purchase and have since had 2-3 rock chips repaired and now am looking at another full replacement due to a chip that popped the morning I was supposed to have it repaired.

I know this is Houston (the city that is forever under construction) so it's pretty much to be expected plus maybe a little bit of bad luck... but my question is has anyone tried the windshield coatings that are supposed to help with some protection against rock chips? If so what has been your experience/would you recommend it? Any recommendations for places for install? I normally don't worry about or even think about that kind of stuff... but I'm starting to think it may be worth the investment with this car due to history. If those coatings are even worth it.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 01:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
There are coatings such as Rain-X that help keep it clear, even without the wipers on in light rain, but nothing really helps with rock chips. We have the same trouble here and it's not the construction as much as the All-Terrain tires so common on pickup trucks and SUVs. Those wide tread capture small pebbles which then get thrown out at highway speeds, and hit the windshields behind them. Modern cars with the cameras for adaptive cruise control, lane centering assist and other safety features may not function correctly with any coatings not factory recommended.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:08 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,246,182 times
This happened to me a lot when I first moved down. What has helped is to not follow too closely behind another vehicle when moving at highway speeds, do not follow closely behind construction vehicles, tractor trailers and especially dump trucks on highways. Allow a lot of space.. Better yet get around them and not be directly behind them either in your lane or an adjacent lane.

I still get rocks but it has gone down by a factor of 5 doing the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston