Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 05:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Downtown around the historic district can get like this too or at least it was the last time I was there. They closed down Main St and everything. Crowd definitely skewed older. The area has a good aesthetic too.

That was just turkey leg hut traffic lol but yeah that's another area which has come up recently.
Wrong.

My grandmother lives off Almeda and Arbor and every Wednesday- Thru Sunday it's crowded with Foot traffic not only from the Turkey Leg Hut , but also nearby Bar5015 and Faces.

The area isn't that big, but it gets crowded enough to feel like there's a weekly festival or block party in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Houston may have some fun individual bars, but it's nightlife scene is nothing like Dallas or Austin. I can't think of anywhere in Houston like Deep Ellum, Cedar Springs Strip, Lowest Greenville, Bishop Arts, and so on. The overall experience you get with nightlife areas adds tons to the entire vibe. You don't even have to go to bars, you can just walk around and people watch or interact with people on the streets.
You always act as if Dallas's nightlife is on the level of Vegas, NYC or New Orleans.

Sorry we're still under Texas's BS laws. Last call is 1:30 everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 05:38 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

You always act as if Dallas's nightlife is on the level of Vegas, NYC or New Orleans.

R1’s explanation of the nightlife here is always inaccurate. That always means either of two things

1. He never went
2. He didn’t know where to go

Old 07-25-2021, 06:09 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,311,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
R1’s explanation of the nightlife here is always inaccurate. That always means either of two things

1. He never went
2. He didn’t know where to go
It is not inaccurate… I’ve been to Montrose, Midtown and Washington Ave.

• Montrose was subpar compared to Oak Lawn in terms of quality of venues, amount of people out and about, overall experience. Some streets had ditches instead of sidewalks as well. Not very urban.
• Midtown is similar to Uptown Dallas in concept, but there still seems to be quite a bit of little shopping strips sprinkled around the area decreasing the urban experience and there were some pretty sketchy spots. Actual bars seemed similar in vibe though.
• Washington Avenue is sub par when compared to Deep Ellum in terms of urbanity, cohesion, continuous development…there was a shuttle bus to take you to bars because it’s just not as pedestrian oriented. It’s also quite a bit smaller of an area, with less people out and about. Deep Ellum is more similar to parts of downtown Austin.

I apologize if there’s a big bustling nightlife district that I missed, but it is not a good thing for a tourist to visit a city and not know where to go. Houston can do a better job at that.

I dunno about Houston, but Last call is not 1:30, it’s 2:00 am and there are clubs that stay open beyond 2 am (without alcohol sales).

Old 07-25-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
• Midtown is similar to Uptown Dallas in concept, but there still seems to be quite a bit of little shopping strips sprinkled around the area decreasing the urban experience and there were some pretty sketchy spots. Actual bars seemed similar in vibe though.

This being your description of midtown says it all. You don’t know what you’re talking about. No one ever refers to that portion of midtown when describing Midtown’s nightlife. You’re over here describing the portion adjacent to Cle, Barbarella, Louisiana St and such. Now it’s obvious that the 2 was right lol.

I actually have been to both. A lot. Deep Ellum isn’t as concentrated with nightlife as the real midtown.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:43 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,311,493 times
Midtown isn’t so huge that you can go to it and there be a whole other area no one knows about. It’s essentially the area between 59/69 and 45. It just feels like a less urban, less gentrified version of Uptown Dallas.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Midtown isn’t so huge that you can go to it and there be a whole other area no one knows about. It’s essentially the area between 59/69 and 45. It just feels like a less urban, less gentrified version of Uptown Dallas.
All this is irrelevant. Youre over here talking about random bars and clubs down Louisiana St, etc and some sketchy spots (suppose McDonalds, greyhound station) etc. while all that sits well within the Midtown neighborhood, it’s irrelevant to the Midtown nightlife scene. The strip and blocks within are secluded from this because it’s in the whole other side. The real Midtown is a heavier concentration of nightlife than deep Ellum. Yes, Washington is well below Deep Ellum that’s irrelevant here.

Atleast now we know you’re not trolling and you just didn’t know what you were doing. I’ll admit I was once as confused as you are about 3-4 years ago before moving back to Houston as an adult for the first time. And I’d see these spots you mention and be like “so where tf is the nightlife?” And then my group brought me there and that said it all.

Speaking of, I agree with your consensus of Uptown Dallas.

Nice try though

Old 07-25-2021, 09:04 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,275,187 times
I agree that Houston could do a better job promoting and displaying its Nightlife, but neither city has it to where it just pops out at you. Dallas too, you have to go off center to find the nightlife spots too. The closest city that achieves this is Austin, and that's mainly because of its central location.

I don't care what anyone says, downtown Houston Main Street/historic district pre pandemic was jumping. I don't know much about it now. Washington seems to still be pretty lit. And Eado by the old Lucky's has a pretty live scene every time i drive through it.

R1070 when was the last time you really hung out in Houston? This isn't the same Houston it was in 2013, but then again, this isn't the same Houston pre March 2020 either.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:

R1070 when was the last time you really hung out in Houston? This isn't the same Houston it was in 2013, but then again, this isn't the same Houston pre March 2020 either.
Even if he went this year, he didn’t even know where to go. I have a theory he wants Dallas to exceed so bad that he rolls with the easiest thing he sees. He does the same in the Atlanta threads. Nothing wrong with hometown pride and everyone will have some bias, but you can’t judge a place until you go and he hasn’t actually been to Midtown

I agree that Houston is on another level for the past 2-3 years btw. As I kid growing up, I wouldn’t have imagined what it became today.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:35 AM

869 posts, read 320,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It’s certainly an experience. And as I said, both Midtown and Deep Ellum are unique enough to give you a unique feel. I like how you can go to different nightlife districts around the country like these two, Bourbon, South Beach, 6th St, etc and get very unique experiences in each. Yes, I realize South Beach and Bourbon are far superior to the others but point stands.

Yes, those two are FAR superior!

Old 07-26-2021, 07:38 AM

869 posts, read 320,439 times
Quote:
Wrong.

My grandmother lives off Almeda and Arbor and every Wednesday- Thru Sunday it's crowded with Foot traffic not only from the Turkey Leg Hut , but also nearby Bar5015 and Faces.

The area isn't that big, but it gets crowded enough to feel like there's a weekly festival or block party in that area.

Extremely true!

Also extremely true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston