Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2023, 01:07 PM

833 posts, read 454,358 times

Advertisements

Here’s some data points I saw on HAIF a while back. Credit to Houston19514 on HAIF.

Google 5 star hotels:

Houston. 5 5-star hotels. One downtown. One near downtown.
Austin. Way ahead of us, considering the size differential. Four 5-star hotels, all downtown.
Dallas. 3 5-star hotels, none downtown (two near downtown).
San Antonio. 3 5-star hotels, all downtown.
Atlanta. 6 5-star hotels. One downtown. One near downtown.
Denver. 2 5-star hotels. Both downtown.
Chicago. 9 5-star hotels. None inside the loop. All nine are near the Loop (in the North Michigan Avenue/Magnificent Mile area).
Philadelphia. 4 5-star hotels. All downtown.
Minneapolis. 1 5-star hotel. Downtown.
Seattle. 1 5-star hotel. Downtown.
Boston. 8 5-star hotels. 7 are in or near downtown.

Forbes 5-star and 4-star hotels:

Boston: 5 5-star and 5 4-star
Chicago: 3 5-star and 3 4-star (all in Mag Mile area)
Houston: 1 5-star and 4 4-star
DFW: 1 5-star and 2 4-star
Philadelphia: 1 5-star and 1 4-star
Seattle: 1 5-star and 1 4-star
Atlanta: Zero 5-star; 3 4-star
Denver: Zero 5-star; 2 4-star
Austin: Zero 5-star; 5 4-star
San Antonio: Zero 5-star; 1 4-star

AAA 5 and 4-diamond hotels:

Boston: 6 5-diamond hotels/25 4-diamond
Chicago: 2 5-diamond/39 4-diamond
Houston: 1 5-diamond/36 4-diamond
DFW: Zero 5-diamond/35 4-diamond
Philadelphia: 1 5-diamond/12 4-diamond
Seattle: Zero 5-diamond/25 4-diamond
Atlanta: 2 5-diamond/23 4-diamond
Denver: 2 5-diamond/18 4-diamond
Austin: Zero 5-diamond/26 4-diamond
San Antonio: 1 5-diamond/17 4-diamond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 01:09 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
My bad...I meant to say prior to the 70's/80's. Not sure where I got 90's from.

Where does ZaZa fit on this list?
I believe the ZaZas (started in Dallas) are considered upscale boutique-ish chain properties similar to Ws. The first one in Houston, of course, used to be the Warwick, which along with the Lancaster was a sort of boutique property of its time (both were legacy hotels of earlier eras), but not considered in the same league as the Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:53 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
My bad...I meant to say prior to the 70's/80's. Not sure where I got 90's from.

Where does ZaZa fit on this list?
Unranked

https://www.forbestravelguide.com/de.../houston-texas

Hotel Zaza is great but it’s really not in the same category. And the room prices agree with this statement.

I’d put the Zaza a notch above the lower upscale hotels like the Le Meridian and Intercontinental. To where you get a sense of luxury but at an affordable rate. Sort of like the W Hotels I guess

Edit: didn’t notice LP also made the W comparison as well haha. So there you go

Old 04-11-2023, 05:00 PM

The two possible future projects that can join the Post Oak and Ritz Carlton Dallas in ultra luxury are the Rosewood Houston and Mandarin Oriental Dallas

Both got put on pause after the pandemic. And it appears that the developer for the Mandarin Oriental got indicted for securities fraud, questioning the future of that project. The Rosewood also has a questionable future given how long we’ve gone without movement. But according to both Rosewood and McNair, the project is still in the works.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/new...d-327430585649

Old 04-11-2023, 06:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The two possible future projects that can join the Post Oak and Ritz Carlton Dallas in ultra luxury are the Rosewood Houston and Mandarin Oriental Dallas

Both got put on pause after the pandemic. And it appears that the developer for the Mandarin Oriental got indicted for securities fraud, questioning the future of that project. The Rosewood also has a questionable future given how long we’ve gone without movement. But according to both Rosewood and McNair, the project is still in the works.

Forget about Ultra Luxury. Houston has been killing it with the Boutique Luxury Hotels.

I am kinda excited about The Thompson. Everyone is excited about Houston getting a W but the buzz around those to me are stale. The Thompson Hotels on the otherhand has more of an updated brand feel.

You may not consider it as upscale because they target younger travelers but that is what is exciting to me. Boutique brands like the W seem like Momma's Luxury hotel while the 4 seasons and the Ritz seem like grandpa Luxury Hotels.

But yeah Houston is definitely killing it. After the Thompson delivers the Astros/ MMP will hopefully be getting started, then the W.
Helix Park is looking for an upscale brand. There's the Blossom in TMC
and ZaZa in Museum District
ZaZa in Memorial
There's La Colombe D'or
The Lancaster
C. Baldwin Curio
The Magnolia
The Whitehall
The St Regis
Le Meridien

JW Marriott
Marriott Marquis
The Houstonian
The Post Oak
The Four Seasons

Thinking of it now I think Para is right. The addition of more luxury brands has resulted in more 3 and 4 star hotels upping their game in terms of amenities. Although Houston is just average in ultra luxury, it has good depth in the boutique luxury and with the mid range luxury brands.

It is sort of a mixture of Dallas with the big name luxury brands and Austin with a plethora of luxury boutique hotels.

Lol Thompson Hotels saved the best for last.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:10 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Forget about Ultra Luxury. Houston has been killing it with the Boutique Luxury Hotels.

I am kinda excited about The Thompson. Everyone is excited about Houston getting a W but the buzz around those to me are stale. The Thompson Hotels on the otherhand has more of an updated brand feel.

You may not consider it as upscale because they target younger travelers but that is what is exciting to me. Boutique brands like the W seem like Momma's Luxury hotel while the 4 seasons and the Ritz seem like grandpa Luxury Hotels.

But yeah Houston is definitely killing it. After the Thompson delivers the Astros/ MMP will hopefully be getting started, then the W.
ZaZa in Memorial
There's La Colombe D'or
The Lancaster
C. Baldwin Curio
The Magnolia
The Whitehall
The St Regis
Le Meridien

JW Marriott
Marriott Marquis
The Houstonian
The Post Oak
The Four Seasons

Thinking of it now I think Para is right. The addition of more luxury brands has resulted in more 3 and 4 star hotels upping their game in terms of amenities. Although Houston is just average in ultra luxury, it has good depth in the boutique luxury and with the mid range luxury brands.

It is sort of a mixture of Dallas with the big name luxury brands and Austin with a plethora of luxury boutique hotels.

Lol Thompson Hotels saved the best for last.
I'm way more excited about the Thompson than the W. I think it's going to be a catalyst for more upscale hotel and high-rise residential movement in the Buffalo Bayou/Allen Parkway corridor and Thompsons are always nice in a really modern, fresh sort of way. It should be a great add.

With that said, the newer W locations tend to be really, really nice. The brand tends to be inconsistent because of a lot of its older properties that can be a bit stodgy. A new W, especially considering the nearby hotels it will need to compete with, should have plenty of luxury bells and whistles.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:15 AM

679 posts, read 274,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

The Mandarin Oriental in Dallas is not happening; at least not with the recent proposal, which is pretty clearly dead. More likely to happen in Dallas (but not looking too good at the moment, given the delays and lack of news) is the proposed Four Seasons Turtle Creek.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:55 PM

4 suspended BCycle stations reactivated following financial support from Midtown district

https://communityimpact.com/houston/...town-district/

Great news following the news of the expansion of the Main Street car closure portion. That and the Ion District-Midtown TIRZ partnership program.

On that note, I have no photos but the Ion Garage is looking great.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:26 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Okay class...back to Houston's core development.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

ZaZa in Memorial
There's La Colombe D'or
The Lancaster
C. Baldwin Curio
The Magnolia
The Whitehall
The St Regis
Le Meridien

JW Marriott
Marriott Marquis
The Houstonian
The Post Oak
The Four Seasons

There’s some others that belong on this list such as the Intercontinental. The St Regis and Granduca are right in the luxury tier.

The Margaritaville in Conroe was a renovation rather than a new property, but it nonetheless gets its spot because it brings a national brand here. The Woodlands Town Center plans on 2 upscale hotels those are also in the pipeline. Not sure what quality the Great Wolf Lodge Resort will bring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston