Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2024, 10:26 AM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The Skanksa tower that was just built and talked about earlier in this post.

They’re using it pretty swell to pair with Avenida District events

A night view. Love the continued improvements of the district.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1-kuKd4ht...qjEGJwn4yAJmIB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 08:31 AM

CityCentre 6 has announced it will break ground soon after securing a tenant for 308k sq ft in the building. Tenant is undisclosed. Wonder who it could be

Old 01-15-2024, 06:58 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
I don't know if this makes Sylvan Beach on par with Kemah, or even close to what it used to be back in the day, but it is a start.

Sylvan Beach to get $30 million makeover to make it competitive with Kemah

Harris County’s only beach, Sylvan Beach in La Porte, may soon rival the Kemah Boardwalk — at least that’s what Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia envisions.

The more than 30-acre park is located on Galveston Bay near the intersection of state Highway 146 and West Fairmont Parkway, next to La Porte High School.

It currently features two enclosed sandy beaches, an air-conditioned pavilion, picnic tables, a playground, a fishing pier, a boat ramp, a concrete promenade along the shore and a skatepark surrounded by a large parking lot. There’s also a bait shop on the property.

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12670...beach-park.png

A $30 million master plan has the goal to once again make Sylvan Beach the kind of regional destination it used to be in the early 20th century.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...-makeover.html

Old 01-30-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
It appears that there’s a plan to add a hotel and convention center to the POST project.
It appears Whitmire is putting this on hold. He mentions that it is better to use the $2 billion convention funding for GRB Convention upgrades. I kind of agree with him

Old 01-30-2024, 01:49 PM

679 posts, read 273,702 times
Quote:
It appears Whitmire is putting this on hold. He mentions that it is better to use the $2 billion convention funding for GRB Convention upgrades. I kind of agree with him

Yeah, this deal seemed a little squirrely from the get-go.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:32 AM

356 posts, read 129,636 times
Quote:
What convention upgrades are in the works?
And when are they supposed to start?
If they are tentative then this may be a copout from Whitmire.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
What convention upgrades are in the works?
And when are they supposed to start?
If they are tentative then this may be a copout from Whitmire.
The $2 billion deal was secured by Whitmire while he was in the Texas senate. This was before he was elected as mayor.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/new...e-ffadbc4f5c41

And as I’ve said, the Convention/Avenida district has been a home run. One of the best recent urban developments in Houston. I’d prefer see it improve than add a convention and hotel the the POST development personally.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:09 PM

356 posts, read 129,636 times
Quote:
The $2 billion deal was secured by Whitmire while he was in the Texas senate. This was before he was elected as mayor.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/new...e-ffadbc4f5c41

And as I’ve said, the Convention/Avenida district has been a home run. One of the best recent urban developments in Houston. I’d prefer see it improve than add a convention and hotel the the POST development personally.
Why not both? It's not like they are planning a second convention center at Post. What would the Post Hotel take away from GRB?

I haven't read the article though so idk if there is anything imminent planned for GRB

Edit: the 1st line of the article says 2B over 30years. Nothing really immediate that the Hotel incentives would take away from. The Hotel incentives would be paid back two times in that period

Old 01-31-2024, 03:18 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I don't know if this makes Sylvan Beach on par with Kemah, or even close to what it used to be back in the day, but it is a start.

Sylvan Beach to get $30 million makeover to make it competitive with Kemah

Harris County’s only beach, Sylvan Beach in La Porte, may soon rival the Kemah Boardwalk — at least that’s what Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia envisions.

The more than 30-acre park is located on Galveston Bay near the intersection of state Highway 146 and West Fairmont Parkway, next to La Porte High School.

It currently features two enclosed sandy beaches, an air-conditioned pavilion, picnic tables, a playground, a fishing pier, a boat ramp, a concrete promenade along the shore and a skatepark surrounded by a large parking lot. There’s also a bait shop on the property.

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12670...beach-park.png

A $30 million master plan has the goal to once again make Sylvan Beach the kind of regional destination it used to be in the early 20th century.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...-makeover.html
I've never been to Sylvan Beach, but looking at Street View it seems like a bit of a gem. I'm not sure it would (or even should) compete with Kemah, but it could provide a nice alternative for Galveston if the plan comes together well. Cautiously excited for this.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:45 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
Why not both? It's not like they are planning a second convention center at Post. What would the Post Hotel take away from GRB?

I haven't read the article though so idk if there is anything imminent planned for GRB

Edit: the 1st line of the article says 2B over 30years. Nothing really immediate that the Hotel incentives would take away from. The Hotel incentives would be paid back two times in that period
The Post project wouldn't really compete with the GRB. The meeting space at Post was only going to be 21,000 sq.ft. That's conference center sized, not a convention hall.

The legislature only authorized the spending for the GRB side of Downtown; there may not have been a map with the legislation, but that was the understanding, so the Mayor doesn't want to jeopardize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston