Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 08:54 PM
REM REM started this thread

368 posts, read 995,792 times

Advertisements

Is houston a liberal area? What's the city like? Do people of different races talk to one another or do they just say in their own areas? Is there a big gay population there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,745,146 times
I would say Houston is pretty much middle of the road. People are here from all over to work and as long as you aren't messing with their paycheck they don't mind too much.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 AM

59 posts, read 318,629 times
houston is one of the most diverse cities in the country!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,690,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Is houston a liberal area? What's the city like? Do people of different races talk to one another or do they just say in their own areas? Is there a big gay population there?
Moderate overall. IMO, contrary to popular belief, the conservatives here aren't your fundamentalist Christian conservatives, although they're here too, but mostly they're more of the fiscally and scientifically rational variety, due to the industries here. Houston is live-and-let-live and welcoming to all. I guess because there's plenty of room!

The city is kinda bizarre, kinda what you make it. There's no real urban planning and a lack of zoning, so stuff kinda doesn't make sense. You get used to it after awhile. I've lived other places and never noticed much of a difference. Plus, most neighborhoods and suburbs have deed restrictions and HOAs to keep things in check so it's not that bad when you're going home.

People of different races talk to one another in their own areas. The city is pretty diverse residentially, mostly in its suburbs. (See, people, I don't completely hate the 'burbs!) People are pretty friendly and genuine and we like to eat out. A lot. Enjoying good company and all that. We don't dress up much, even to go to the opera.

I think I read somewhere Houston has the 12th largest gay population in the nation. The historic "gayborhood" is Montrose, an Inner Loop nabe west of downtown, but people live all over now, from Westbury to Eastwood to Pearland and points beyond. There's a big pride parade in June, one of the biggest, if not the biggest in the South (maybe after Atlanta?). I think I also read somewhere it's the only nighttime parade in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: