Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 7,461 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Austin which we like but the home prices are crazy.

We recently visited the DFW area and liked the area and neighborhoods. Everything was very clean and spread out compared to Austin. But the homes seemed very similar to each other - 2 story brick homes on tight lots. (Plano, Coppel, Keller, FlowerMound)

Now we are researching the Houston area, specifically the Woodlands/Spring area and will visit soon.

For those living there or around, I had read and heard that Houston was more "crimey" attributed to being a large city and other factors even before moving to TX. How much of a concern is this when considering the Woodlands/Spring area?

Secondly, if you've lived or are familiar with areas in Dallas like FlowerMound, Plano, Coppell, Keller how would you describe the difference between The Woodlands/ Spring from those areas? Pros cons?

Old 01-05-2022, 03:19 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,398 times
They’re practically interchangeable. All of your threads are splitting hairs.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:28 PM

190 posts, read 211,626 times
The suburbs of Houston and Austin look so similar that my brain sometimes gets confused driving around them about what city I'm in at the moment. It's the same developers doing the same home designs and neighborhood layouts. Same restaurants, same stores, same businesses.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:59 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
When we lived in the DFW suburbs our property tax rate was about 2.2%, and when we moved to the Houston suburbs that went up to 3.7% because of MUD/WCID taxes. So that's something to think about since you pay that year after year it can really add up. Especially on a $500K+ home.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:51 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemc View Post
We currently live in Austin which we like but the home prices are crazy.

We recently visited the DFW area and liked the area and neighborhoods. Everything was very clean and spread out compared to Austin. But the homes seemed very similar to each other - 2 story brick homes on tight lots. (Plano, Coppel, Keller, FlowerMound)

Now we are researching the Houston area, specifically the Woodlands/Spring area and will visit soon.

For those living there or around, I had read and heard that Houston was more "crimey" attributed to being a large city and other factors even before moving to TX. How much of a concern is this when considering the Woodlands/Spring area?

Secondly, if you've lived or are familiar with areas in Dallas like FlowerMound, Plano, Coppell, Keller how would you describe the difference between The Woodlands/ Spring from those areas? Pros cons?
The Woodlands is probably about the safest burb you can be in even probably more so than the burbs you mention in DFW. Spring is a little bit more all over the place for various reasons. First it's unincorporated so it doesn't have any uniformity in look and feel. 2nd I-45 cuts through Spring and you'll notice a difference based on what side of the freeway you live on. East of 45 tends to have more crime and cheaper housing. Now personally I never consider Spring to be dangerous even east of 45 but there is more crime in that part of Spring.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:06 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
When we lived in the DFW suburbs our property tax rate was about 2.2%, and when we moved to the Houston suburbs that went up to 3.7% because of MUD/WCID taxes. So that's something to think about since you pay that year after year it can really add up. Especially on a $500K+ home.
^^This^^ One of the main downfalls of Houston area unincorporated wastelands. No way around it.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:27 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
^^This^^ One of the main downfalls of Houston area unincorporated wastelands. No way around it.
But, to me anyway, that's better than the buyers of new homes making the rest of the incorporated municipality help pay for the roads, water lines, and sewer lines that only serve the new homes. Those taxes go down over time, as debt for the initial construction is paid off.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:43 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
But, to me anyway, that's better than the buyers of new homes making the rest of the incorporated municipality help pay for the roads, water lines, and sewer lines that only serve the new homes. Those taxes go down over time, as debt for the initial construction is paid off.
That’s BS because the new homes and residents are paying and contributing into the city tax base. That’s why you see successful cities like Plano thriving into the future.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:00 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
That’s BS because the new homes and residents are paying and contributing into the city tax base. That’s why you see successful cities like Plano thriving into the future.
I've lived in Plano. It was great when it had 15,000 people, ie 1972, but with 290,000, it's a suburban hell hole with a bunch of people I have no desire to live near.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:24 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The Woodlands is probably about the safest burb you can be in even probably more so than the burbs you mention in DFW. Spring is a little bit more all over the place for various reasons. First it's unincorporated so it doesn't have any uniformity in look and feel. 2nd I-45 cuts through Spring and you'll notice a difference based on what side of the freeway you live on. East of 45 tends to have more crime and cheaper housing. Now personally I never consider Spring to be dangerous even east of 45 but there is more crime in that part of Spring.
That's pretty much true re east and west of 45 if you're talking about Harris County, but I wouldn't say that's true of the Montgomery County part of Spring east of 45 (stretching from the 45 & Rayford area to Spring Trails to Woodson's Reserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston