Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 06:48 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehabdoc View Post
That's exactly the same situation in our new home under construction and I was really surprised that power lines pole would be allowed in the middle of a backyard......I thought in 2022, no overhead power lines and poles should never be allowed inside the backyard.....they should be behind the fence.
Could you post a pic, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 07:55 AM

392 posts, read 316,963 times
Quote:
The greed of developers and builders and the town planners giving permits to obvious infringements of peoples' lands and homes.
Many people will agree with you about greedy companies but at the same time, your realtor may have dropped the ball on this one. Go to your closing documents and inspect the survey and title commitment. I haven't done this kind of work in about 20 years but most utility easements will denote "UE" and the width of the UE and if the power company has the right to install power pole it will generally say "aerial easement" with a larger than normal UE width. I am not a realtor but this is one of the reasons to get a realtor who is detailed oriented versus a realtor who just want to close the deal to get the commission.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
Many people will agree with you about greedy companies but at the same time, your realtor may have dropped the ball on this one. Go to your closing documents and inspect the survey and title commitment. I haven't done this kind of work in about 20 years but most utility easements will denote "UE" and the width of the UE and if the power company has the right to install power pole it will generally say "aerial easement" with a larger than normal UE width. I am not a realtor but this is one of the reasons to get a realtor who is detailed oriented versus a realtor who just want to close the deal to get the commission.
To carry it a step further, this is why one should read the title commitment carefully (not just your realtor). Read the exceptions, look at the survey, even if you don't fully understand it.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:30 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
The greed of developers and builders and the town planners giving permits to obvious infringements of peoples' lands and homes.
That development is not inside a city or town, it's in unincorporated Fort Bend County. The city limits of Rosenberg run on the North side, and appear to include the tennis courts and swimming pool. Counties in Texas have almost zero power to regulate development except for sewer and septic systems.

The simple answer is to not buy from a developer that does things you don't like. It is highly unlikely, given the influence that developers have in the Texas Legislature, that counties will be given more power any time soon.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:12 AM

20 posts, read 12,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That development is not inside a city or town, it's in unincorporated Fort Bend County. The city limits of Rosenberg run on the North side, and appear to include the tennis courts and swimming pool. Counties in Texas have almost zero power to regulate development except for sewer and septic systems.

The simple answer is to not buy from a developer that does things you don't like. It is highly unlikely, given the influence that developers have in the Texas Legislature, that counties will be given more power any time soon.
I am considering lots of options on how to deal with this power lines and pole issue. Apart from the obvious aesthetic problems as they are not pleasing to the eyes, I am not comfortable having high tension power lines hanging over the backyard while kids play. Another thing, during storms and inclement weather conditions, only God knows what could happen to the pole and power lines.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
I will look at the survey and the title commitment, but if the developer or the utility company refuses to move them to behind the fence, what would my options be?
You are quite right about the realtor not looking after our interest; just wants to close, collect the commission, and move on, while the occupants deal with the issues that may arise.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Could you post a pic, please?
I live out of State and I can't go the site now. But imagine the pole right in the middle of the backyard and the power lines running overhead through the neighbors' backyards as well.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I live out of State and I can't go the site now. But imagine the pole right in the middle of the backyard and the power lines running overhead through the neighbors' backyards as well.
Please post a pic when you can. What you've been describing is such an unusual situation that without a picture, I'm not able to give any feedback.

I was in residential construction for forty years. I learned that different people's reaction to various scenarios is all over the board. And having a visual reference so all of us can be on the same page is essential to any rational discussion.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:25 AM

392 posts, read 316,963 times
Quote:
I will look at the survey and the title commitment, but if the developer or the utility company refuses to move them to behind the fence, what would my options be?
You are quite right about the realtor not looking after our interest; just wants to close, collect the commission, and move on, while the occupants deal with the issues that may arise.
I forgot this is a new construction home in a new development. For new developments, it would also in the disclosures and notices that you already signed on closing. The developer already gave you notice that the developer and utilities have the right to install electrical boxes, cable and phone pedestals and electrical poles in the easements.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:58 PM

15 posts, read 12,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Please post a pic when you can. What you've been describing is such an unusual situation that without a picture, I'm not able to give any feedback.

I was in residential construction for forty years. I learned that different people's reaction to various scenarios is all over the board. And having a visual reference so all of us can be on the same page is essential to any rational discussion.

Woodson's Reserve - Toll Brothers. See the pole in the back yard? Disgraceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston