Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 05:46 PM

337 posts, read 298,947 times

Advertisements

We were only looking in Katy, Fulshear and Cypress(Towne lake and Bridgeland) but my wife found this home.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/147-Tim...26240699_zpid/

It does not have any green space but backs up to woods.
We love the interior of the home. Conroe seems to have many homes with a modern spacious interiors.

Don't know much about Conroe.

Schools
College Park High school got good ratings https://txschools.gov/?view=school&i...verview&lng=en
We are Asian and this High school has 7% Asians which is less than 20% Asians in our current High School in MN. So diversity is a concern.

Our jobs are remote but it may change and the distance and distance to Houston downtown is more than 50 miles. I am assuming that commuting 1-2 days during off-peak hours may be OK but still may take 60-90 minutes each way.

Har shows a Tax rate of 2.82%.

It is located in Jacobs Oak Estates. Is this a good community?
Niche gave C for crime to Conroe. How safe is Conroe?
How about shopping and things to do?

Can we do better than this home for a similar price range?
Should we stick to the original city list and pass on this one even though we like the interior of the home?

Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 08:29 PM

829 posts, read 451,938 times
I would personally pass on Conroe as an Asian. Definitely will be a big culture shock if you’re coming from an area with a school that’s 20% Asian. The location is also a killer as it’s so far from Houston. It’s also very conservative/republican so that would also probably be a culture shock from MN. I would recommend the western suburbs on the 99 corridor (Sugar Land, South Katy, Richmond around Alaina and Harvest Green, South Missouri City/Sienna, Cypress around Bridgeland and Towne Lake etc.) these suburbs have a lot more amenities and a significantly larger Asian population as well as having high performing schools. Out of all of these options I think Sugar Land is the best since it has great proximity to Houston relative to other outer suburbs.

Old 10-05-2022, 06:33 AM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
I would recommend something closer to Houston like Bender's Landing
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...31729215_zpid/

or Creekside
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...23234017_zpid/

Old 10-05-2022, 07:40 AM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
One of the bigger issues for me with that house is that the subdivision is laid out to require that you drive West, then South to get to a road that will take you to I-45, and there are at least 2 left turns involved. That always slows things down.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:53 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,814 times
Conroe is booming as of late, given everything on the North side is quite built out.
It is on the edge of TW, which is a nice area and has all major services/shopping/etc.
Agree with comments above, republican-conservative heavy, HOWEVER, Houston and surrounding areas is a melting pot of many cultures, so take FWIW.
Biggest con would be having to commute into town for work, some people do it, but it takes a toll on you. If you like doing activities such as (Rockets, Texans, Astros, etc, or theater, zoo, etc. ) they are all in side town. If you like the more reserved quiet lifestyle then Conroe/TW will be fine.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:31 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,310 times
Beautiful house, but Conroe would be an absolutely miserable commute to Houston. In my industry, companies have either formally called everyone back to the office 4 days a week or subtly / not subtly suggested that we are expected to be seen in the office more and more. In your industry, if it takes an act of faith to assume that you won't be commuting to town in the foreseeable future, I'd strongly recommend shelling out your 6-7 figures in a closer-in location. Sugar Land, Katy, or West Memorial / Energy Corridor if you can live with an older house. All areas with reasonable diversity and sizeable Asian populations.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:54 PM

1,555 posts, read 778,215 times
Why does politics matter for someone who wants to live based on their lifestyle? Besides, politics is a choice not mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston