Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 12:00 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times

Advertisements

End of an era
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 03:25 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,757 times
Good riddance.

Old 01-15-2023, 03:36 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Any clues on what will go on that property next? Would it be too much to ask for the Greyhound station to close as well?

Old 01-15-2023, 03:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
What was the problem with the McDonald's?
Why would people be happy about its closing?

Old 01-15-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Any clues on what will go on that property next? Would it be too much to ask for the Greyhound station to close as well?
Where would you place the new station?

Old 01-15-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Where would you place the new station?
Houstonians like to shoot themselves in the foot.

It is not the Greyhound station that's the problem. It's the concentration of facilities geared to serving the homeless.

There are McDonald's and Greyhound stations everywhere. Megabus is a few blocks away and it's not bringing any homeless.

San Antonio's Greyhound is downtown and is not bad.
New Orleans has its Greyhound, Megabus And attractions in its CBD and its not a problem.

I think Houston's Greyhound is in the perfect location.

Houston needs to spread it's homeless service organizations around and stop blaming transit agencies.

I searched homeless services in maps and 21 results came up for the Midtown Area. 21!!!!!

You put 21 agencies geared to serving the homeless in ANY neighborhood and they will come

Old 01-15-2023, 05:21 PM

679 posts, read 273,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

It is not the Greyhound station that's the problem. It's the concentration of facilities geared to serving the homeless.

There are McDonald's and Greyhound stations everywhere. Megabus is a few blocks away and it's not bringing any homeless.

New Orleans has its Greyhound, Megabus And attractions in its CBD and its not a problem.

Houston needs to spread it's homeless service organizations around and stop blaming transit agencies.

I searched homeless services in maps and 21 results came up for the Midtown Area. 21!!!!!

You put 21 agencies geared to serving the homeless in ANY neighborhood and they will come
I think there's a LOT of exaggeration about the Greyhound station. There's not really much noticeable problem around it (there used to be, but that has greatly improved over the years).

Having said that, I'm curious what maps you are using that gave you 21 results in midtown when you search "homeless services". I can't get any results anything like that, in either Google maps or Apple maps (and some of the results I found do not provide direct services to the homeless at their midtown location). I rather doubt Houston's homeless services are significantly more concentrated than other cities....

Last edited by oil capital; 01-15-2023 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-15-2023, 05:54 PM

The homelessness problem has gotten a lot better in Midtown recently. But I don’t think it’s necessarily an exaggeration, i just think it’s a historic problems that has improved but still exists. I know of one homeless shelter that was relocated away from midtown a couple of years ago so I’m not sure if there’s an active effort to relocate them. I do remember when the ION District began its opening phases, they basically kicked out the camp that sat under the 59 bridge and closed up the 7 eleven that was on the other side

But McDonald’s in Midtown had to go. The problem with that McDonald’s was a lot bigger than just the homelessness around it. It’s a suburban style fast food joint that sits right next to downtown with an urban style city block enclosing it.

I agree with the above that the Greyhound station wasn’t the problem though.

Old 01-15-2023, 06:01 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Looks like those that want the Greyhound station gone might soon have their wish. It is up for sale.

https://realtynewsreport.com/bus-sta...sform-midtown/

Old 01-15-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
I think there's a LOT of exaggeration about the Greyhound station. There's not really much noticeable problem around it (there used to be, but that has greatly improved over the years).

Having said that, I'm curious what maps you are using that gave you 21 results in midtown when you search "homeless services". I can't get any results anything like that, in either Google maps or Apple maps (and some of the results I found do not provide direct services to the homeless at their midtown location). I rather doubt Houston's homeless services are significantly more concentrated than other cities....
It's Google.
And I don't mean to imply Houston offers more services than other cities, it's just that they need to spread it around.

Edit: I looked at the results again and 3 of them were actually churches that provide services to the homeless and one was a Catholic something it another. Another was the salvation army and another volunteer Houston.

So it is actually less than 21, but still midtown is the THE spot for Houston's homeless services and the Greyhound (and the McDonald's) is actually a casualty of the circumstances and not the cause.

For a neighborhood of that size, Midtown is rather lacking in fast food joints, so applauding the demise of of the McDonald's is not something I would be doing. More likely should be asking how to encourage a wider range than losing any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

But McDonald’s in Midtown had to go. The problem with that McDonald’s was a lot bigger than just the homelessness around it. It’s a suburban style fast food joint that sits right next to downtown with an urban style city block enclosing it..
Ha ha, yeah that's true. That style on Main Street would not have lasted much longer anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Looks like those that want the Greyhound station gone might soon have their wish. It is up for sale.

https://realtynewsreport.com/bus-sta...sform-midtown/
Do you know if the Spanish bus depot across the street is still operational?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston