Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 09:21 AM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times

Advertisements

Our local school district is also looking at a 4 day week. I think it’s a bad idea. I am retired. Long days aren’t good for little kids. In the Victorian era kids were thought to be small adults and were treated as such having jobs, etc.

Thankfully most realize that childhood is short and should be enjoyed. Yes you are training them to be reasonable citizens but also it’s the only time of their life until retirement where they don’t have a bunch of responsibilities and have freedom.

My grandma was born in 1902 and when her mom died her dad gave the kids to the state. The state sent her to work on a farm like a slave for her room and board. She was bitter about it and never had anything to do with her dad again. She made sure her kids had a childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 10:35 AM

313 posts, read 281,713 times
I believe the teacher burnout is real. And that while teachers and staff can maybe do four day weeks the kids need school every day. I’m sure there is a creative way to figure it out. Surely someone can devise a system that gives teachers and staff two days off twice a month utilizing Substitutes, part-time scheduling, designated curriculum days, etc. Two workdays off a month would be a great start. Mental health days, personal days, wellness days, etc exist for a reason.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:32 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Texas bill would remove 4-day school week that multiple districts have implemented
https://www.kvue.com/amp/article/new...5-6d49807dc375

Now in the Senate, State Sen. Donna Campbell (R-New Braunfels) has put forth Senate Bill 2368, which would revoke 4-day school weeks and mandate 5-day weeks. Campbell's reasoning behind the bill is that a shorter week can have negative impacts on both students and families, as families have to find child care during the one day off.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:14 AM

555 posts, read 295,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Texas bill would remove 4-day school week that multiple districts have implemented
https://www.kvue.com/amp/article/new...5-6d49807dc375

Now in the Senate, State Sen. Donna Campbell (R-New Braunfels) has put forth Senate Bill 2368, which would revoke 4-day school weeks and mandate 5-day weeks. Campbell's reasoning behind the bill is that a shorter week can have negative impacts on both students and families, as families have to find child care during the one day off.
I think this bill is needed, a 4 day school week just doesn’t seem good for education in the long run.
Hopefully better pay combined with more vacation days for teachers will help with the shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston