Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:15 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,272 times

Advertisements

I'm going to miss biking to TMC this week. I'll be on vacation to a fabulous location for some R&R.

Attached Thumbnails
Update on rail?-img_1544.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Looks like the Comal.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Is there anymore update on rail???

Old 09-27-2008, 01:52 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
The eastend rail line is currently under construction. I believe Metro has said it will build the University line with or w/o federal money.

Personally I think LRT on the Main, University, and Uptown lines would be a great way to start and have the remaining two lines BRT. The University line shouldn't be anywhere else besides Richmond becasue of the Greenway employment center. Westheimer may have retail but people don't shop everyday, employment centers are much better for higher ridership.

In my opinion, the red line is a successful line. It has a very high ridership for only being 7 miles long. Compare Houston's 1 ridership LRT line to other cities' LRT ridership. Don't forget we are building a LRT system connecting our denset employment centers and various educational and cultural institutions.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:58 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
The only thing wrong with the Red Line is the lack of grade separations, except where they existed in roads before (e.g. Main@Holcombe).

Old 09-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
I would think that connections along Richmond or Westheimer (or, perhaps, both) would make the most sense for future expansion if METRO decides to go west. How could you not have it in Uptown?? Even Allen Parkway or Memorial would be good locations for rail, too. The way people develop these days to try to make urban-oriented mixed-use developments to cut travel times, you'd think rail would be more ideal. You'd think, also, that there'd be more such developments in Houston eventually. They should have a lot more rail out west. It's a great alternative to using a car all the time.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
In my opinion, the red line is a successful line. It has a very high ridership for only being 7 miles long. Compare Houston's 1 ridership LRT line to other cities' LRT ridership. Don't forget we are building a LRT system connecting our denset employment centers and various educational and cultural institutions.
The rail was a lifesaver for me when I was working in the Med Center. There's a waiting list for parking (at least at M. D. Anderson) and once you get it, it's crazy expensive. So I parked at the Fanin South park-and-ride and took the rail to work (and it was always packed with other white coats). I also used it during the day when I needed to get over to St. Luke's and Baylor. I hope Houston gets more soon!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Problem with rail on Allen Parkway is its tendency to flood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Have they started construction on the U-line yet in Houston? I plan on moving down there in the fall to attend college at TSU and really looking foward to it!
You do realize there's no chance of us seeing it this year, right? We're probably looking at 2013 at the earliest for the University Line. The East End line might get done in 2011.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Problem with rail on Allen Parkway is its tendency to flood.

You do realize there's no chance of us seeing it this year, right? We're probably looking at 2013 at the earliest for the University Line. The East End line might get done in 2011.
I never said it was anywhere near done. I know these things can take up to 5 years, 10 years since its Houston.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:37 PM

497 posts, read 1,486,210 times
I have been riding the rail to get to work at the Med Center and has been very nice - but I'm not sure spending big bucks to simply replace bus service is a good idea - especially since the current plans take up a traffic lane. Perhaps it would make more sense to use rail from the park and rides and then bus service in town? Or, depending on cost, make the whole system elevated - and include an elevated bike lane. I'm very conservative politically - so the cost to me is very important - however the energy situation and traffic congestion in Houston have to be taken into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston