Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 PM

71 posts, read 743,294 times

Advertisements

I'm 21, still in college and made a list of places that im thining about moving to in a couple of years or so... So far it's Orange County California, Seattle Washington, and yes, Houston Texas.

I've never had the opportunity to visit Houston but I've heard stories that people are so friendly over there strangers will start talking to each other in elevators! I thought that was really cool but do people just pretend to put on a cheery facade because it's the norm there? Oh and how much would one need to live comfortably? Say in an area where things are easily accessible by public transportation and there are low crime rates and gangs? I know it's a lot but I appreciate your $0.02! thankss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Cheery facade? This isn't LA, we are actually happy.

Unless you have a rocking job lined up, your criteria would be hard to fill 100% of.

The areas you would hit would be inside the 610 Loop and just outside the Loop in Uptown/Galleria.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Wait...

What is this thing you call "public transportation?"

I don't think you will enjoy Houston much without a car, unfortunately.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Wait...

What is this thing you call "public transportation?"
My Dad says, "Houston Public transportation is your feet...walking in public."

Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id3ntidycrisis View Post
I've never had the opportunity to visit Houston but I've heard stories that people are so friendly over there strangers will start talking to each other in elevators! I thought that was really cool but do people just pretend to put on a cheery facade because it's the norm there?
No, if you ask someone how they're doing, get ready to hear the answer! I dated a German guy once and we had this in common. Be prepared to hear someone's life story within the first five minutes after meeting!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
No, if you ask someone how they're doing, get ready to hear the answer! I dated a German guy once and we had this in common. Be prepared to hear someone's life story within the first five minutes after meeting!
Yup

Depends what your looking for. Your other two choices are two totally different environments and cost of living expenses.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Cheery facade? This isn't LA, we are actually happy.

Unless you have a rocking job lined up, your criteria would be hard to fill 100% of.

The areas you would hit would be inside the 610 Loop and just outside the Loop in Uptown/Galleria.
I have to agree about the facade thing, we generally are happy, but keep in mind that moving to Houston isn't exactly the same as moving out to the country. This is a huge city and there are too many people here for all of them to be nice and cheerful. Also, just a word to the wise, Northeastern ball-busting and southern hospitality don't mix.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:33 PM

569 posts, read 1,079,043 times
You can live much more comfortably in Houston than in either Seattle or Orange County. Depends on what you will do for a living. What's your college major?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:23 AM

71 posts, read 743,294 times
My major is marketing/psych right now. How is the job market there anyway? I heard the COL is so good 200k can buy you a very nice house with an enormous driveway and pool? xD I take it that when everyone says people tell their whole life story within five minutes of meeting you etc, thats a good thing?.... hahah im confused...

Old 06-13-2008, 03:09 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
As you will see if you poke around in other threads, there's a big difference between cost of living inside the loop (610) and outside. Inside can be very pricey; what you would expect of any other big city. But yes, outside the loop, you can get a nice house for 200K. Depending on where that is, you might have a tough commute. But for you, at your age, you could get a pretty sweet townhouse or a little bungalow in town for under 300K and have a decent investment, too. If that's too pricey, you can rent inside the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston