Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

90% of turn signal usage is unnecessary and imparts no meaningful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM

200 posts, read 1,067,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Also, during high traffic hours, if I hang back a bit while moving into an intersection because there is a green light but there is some question that perhaps my moving through will block traffic if the light turns red, it completely annoys me when drivers turn right on red and squeeze into the traffic pattern even though their doing so prevents me from getting through the intersection while the light is still green. Any native tips on handling that?
You need to keep it tight with the car in front or keep off the intersection box if making it thru all the way is questionable. Getting caught in the box when the light turns red is actually worth 2 points in NYC BTW. That does get everyone all worked up in traffic so you have to be patient

Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
As an experience urban driver, I sense that the newbies or non-city drivers lack the the urban appreciation in driving with courtesy and expectations. This is why you see some hurried drivers speed up just to save maybe a few seconds on their commute but their heart rate goes up, too.

So, in dense traffic, you don't want to tailgate or be obnoxious. And this is what I do when I see a "premium space". Apparently, you didn't need that space so I definitely will blink and move right in - you won't have time to speed up. Likewise, if a driver wants to get into my lane, I will ease up and let you in unless you are an exception for some reason like giving away too much "premium space" in front of you.

It's a judgmental call at the intersection. If I see the intersecting driver plans to turn right and most of them will, then I go ahead and pull up and block him. Urban drivers would expect that. But, if you are the second driver behind my car, then you better be sure that traffic will move along pretty soon - watch a couple of cars ahead. If the light turns red, then I'm staying because the intersecting driver is waiting to turn into my lane anyway. But for you as the second driver and you can't pull up any further in the next lane, then you should do the NYC maneuver. Turn your steering to the left and be ready when the light turns red, you need to turn left or maybe right and go around or you'll surely deserve a bunch a blaring horns.

Quote:
Houston drivers exhibit very bad behavior around signaling lane changes. When they see you turn on your signal to change lanes, the drivers in the lane next to you actually speed up to prevent you from doing so. It seems like everyone avoids signaling so they can SNEAK into the next lane.

Also, during high traffic hours, if I hang back a bit while moving into an intersection because there is a green light but there is some question that perhaps my moving through will block traffic if the light turns red, it completely annoys me when drivers turn right on red and squeeze into the traffic pattern even though their doing so prevents me from getting through the intersection while the light is still green. Any native tips on handling that?

The civility that characterizes Houston social interactions seems missing once everyone gets into a car.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:34 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
I am here to report that I was out and about today drivng my car and running some errands and I signaled with each and every lane change I made! Yea!!!!!!!!!! Thank you C-D!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:21 PM

106 posts, read 307,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
90% of turn signal usage is unnecessary and imparts no meaningful information.
How so? Using a turn signal lets someone behind you know what you are about to do and can help them to react in an appropriate manner. If I signal that I am going to turn the person behind me knows I will slow down. If I am going to change lanes it lets the person in the next lane over know that so that they can speed up or slow down in order to give me room to do so.

My pet peeve is when you get onto highways and the person to the left of you is trying to speed up to get off of the highway but won't let you over wtf is that about?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Houston drivers exhibit very bad behavior around signaling lane changes.......The civility that characterizes Houston social interactions seems missing once everyone gets into a car.
So well put. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to be from somewhere or have been there for a "long time" (whatever that is) to start picking up on things and be able to know what you're talking about.

Houston drivers generally suck - whether or not they're the worst anywhere is up for debate, and anyone who has driven in this city even once is entitled to weigh in on it. If anyone gets offended at someone expressing this, they're probably bad drivers and they deserve to be offended. They offend me.

I can say that people generally do take it rather easy here in the rain (yes, that was the gist of the topic but it's mine and I'm all about discussing civility behind the wheel ). This isn't like SoCal where a handful of people know how to behave when something wet is falling out of the sky.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 PM

153 posts, read 306,001 times
I admit... I tend to use judgment calls with regard to signaling. I probably signal 85% of the time, but there are times when my read of the traffic is that if I signal somebody will cut me off and be a general jerk, so I just take my chance when I can. If it's heavy traffic, a signal is a great way to get in because somebody usually takes pity on you.

My big pet peeve: drivers who think that their signal is a right of way. Just because you signaled does NOT mean I have to let you in or that you have the right to change lanes right then. Especially if there is very little space and you are driving more slowly than me. I should not have to hit my brakes because you signaled and went.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
I am here to report that I was out and about today drivng my car and running some errands and I signaled with each and every lane change I made! Yea!!!!!!!!!! Thank you C-D!
aw, man, I can't believe that I didn't get any rep points for my achievement today!!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiabelle View Post
I admit... I tend to use judgment calls with regard to signaling. I probably signal 85% of the time, but there are times when my read of the traffic is that if I signal somebody will cut me off and be a general jerk, so I just take my chance when I can. If it's heavy traffic, a signal is a great way to get in because somebody usually takes pity on you.

My big pet peeve: drivers who think that their signal is a right of way. Just because you signaled does NOT mean I have to let you in or that you have the right to change lanes right then. Especially if there is very little space and you are driving more slowly than me. I should not have to hit my brakes because you signaled and went.
Agreed!!!!!

jfre - I think you need to post more pics because I have completely hijacked your thread. I've turned weather pics into a discussion on turn signals.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post
How so? Using a turn signal lets someone behind you know what you are about to do and can help them to react in an appropriate manner. If I signal that I am going to turn the person behind me knows I will slow down. If I am going to change lanes it lets the person in the next lane over know that so that they can speed up or slow down in order to give me room to do so.
I didn't say all turn signals and I was exaggerating, let's say a lot of signal usage is unnecessary. If your turn requires no conditional action from other drivers, it's not needed. If your turn is self evident, it's not needed.

-You mentioned when changing lanes it lets other people slow down and give you space. Fine, although you're the one who should speed up or slow down. Why should others have to adjust to accommodate you? If you already have adequate room to change lanes, it's not needed.

-Entering the freeway, of course they are going to merge in. What else could they possibly do? Veer right into the concrete wall?

-Turn only lanes, your mere presence in a turning lane signals your intent.

-Stop signs and red lights, the car behind you has to stop and wait their turn whether you are going left, right, or straight. If they are following at a proper distance, your brake lights let them know you are slowing down. It's good enough for all those times you're not turning but merely slowing down or stopping straight.

My peeve is people who use their signals incorrectly. People who think their signal gives them the right of way. People who signal but don't even look around. People who forget their signal is on and drive blissfully down the road, mile after mile, blink, blink, blink. People who signal because they are turning not at the next entrance, or even the second entrance, but the third entrance down. And believe it or not, some people apparently find the turn signal lever confusing and will signal left when turning right and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston