Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:04 PM

28 posts, read 155,389 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have looked for a house in nice neighborhood, liked the house but this house have one wooden electric pole in farcorner of our backyard. This pole does fall in our backyard though....

Not sure about the health concerns or disadvantages as per the house value or appraisel of house, any input from you all is appreciated.

Thanks
Maya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 01:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
NO effect what so ever on health, and no effect on resale in the Houston neighborhoods.

However, I do think it's looked at as a negative for resale in some of the master planned communities.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:31 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
There is one in my back yard. I forget it is there. Only problem is if you plant flowers around it expect them to get trampled once every dozen or so years when they check on the pole. Also check on the utility easement, there might be some rule about building a shed or structure too close.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,448 times
Consider it a blessing in disguise. There is a utility pole in everyone's back yard in older neighborhoods. If it sticks out like an eyesore, then planting some tall bushes or small trees around it and it will disappear. Maybe bamboo if you are in a hurry but they are harder to keep in control.

We enjoy watching, squirels, mice, and opossiums using the telephone cord as a safe transportation system.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:05 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,877 times
Just don't plant tall trees around it! maybe you can negotiate a better deal...I have a big green electrical box in my new yard, and I have had the landscaper plant bushes around it, in time that thing will not be seen. same goes for the Cable and Fiberoptic boxes, in time shrubs will grow around them.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:41 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,539 times
The question you are asking is the exact same question that someone will ask themselves when it comes time for someone to make a decision to buy the house from you.

That's the only disadvantage, when you live with them, you don't even notice them.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 PM

57 posts, read 405,903 times
I got an electric pole in my backyard and just realized it was there when the poster mentioned it... it first bugged me when we moved in, but completely forgot it was there since it doesn't get in the way or anything. Also its kinda out of sight behind our detached garage. Obviously there are no health hazards, otherwise people would be filing lawsuits left and right considering how many electrical poles there are out there in peoples backyards. Afterall, the hoods gotta get power one way or another. Unfortunately they can't bury them all.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 PM

200 posts, read 899,903 times
Same problem I am facing. Here in CA it is a major disclosure item (Electro- magnetic fields) so I do not think it is not a problem in TExas.

I have passed on about 9 houses now because if I resale I think it will be a concern plus ugly. Texas just does not have enough disclosures for the buyer. CA discloses everything and power poles here are a no no

Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
I had one in my backyard when I lived in Texas. I paid an additional $6 a month to have them put a street light on it. It lit my backyard like it was almost daylight, not much chance of a burgler being stupid enough to try to gain access from there. It was awesome. I could sit out on the patio and no need for additional lighting unless I needed task lighting for reading.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:53 PM

28 posts, read 155,389 times
wow, I am so encouraged to see all these positive postings on my query hope this will give me more momentum to discuss the deal with builder. I will keep this posting updated. Thanks everyone of you for your suggestions - highly appreciate it

Thanks
Maya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston