Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 AM

24 posts, read 51,516 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Houston and paid a short visit recently, the sugar land or pearland areas - which I was originally thinking of - seem so rural, especially pearl land.

I like the variety of Asian shopping and dinning in the Bellaire area, I'm looking at the area between beltway 8 and hwy 59 around bellaire blvd. How is this area in terms of crime rate, school, among others??? Can any native houston folk comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 AM

246 posts, read 895,192 times
crime rate is high at that area, near bellaire. You can find mnay people walking around that area. Because of many restaurants over here. After evening, no one want to go there. As I remember, a girl in hong kong food market shopping centre was car-jacked.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Bellaire West is within the Alief ISD district.

For high school, all residents (regardless of location within the district) may be assigned to Elsik, Hastings, or Taylor high schools.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM

any reasonable area not directly nearby, but within a short drive?

My realtor keeps recommending sugar land, but it's so far from houston downtown for a commute. The traffic seem pretty bad in houston.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:29 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
I'm no native from houston, i'm just moving in in 2 weeks. I researched W.Bellaire to be bad by houston standards - so far i see it as a melting pot point which is not necessarily good but i guess thats the price i'll pay to be close to ethnic stuff, especially food. also possibly less issues going to work. i dont have kids so I thought it cant be that risky. i dont like rural or faux lakes and forests (allergic to pollen too). my car related hobbies wont be welcomed in the master planned neighborhoods too

someone posted this a while back. since I live west of beltway 8 i was relieved quite a bit when i saw this
http://home.houston.rr.com/ecarlson/crimestats/murder2005.html (broken link)
public school sucks, lousiana folks in the mix, you need a beater car for restaurant/shopping duties, parks/sidewalks/gasstations/etc at your own risk. dont even consider apartments. fenced/gated communities is a must for peace of mind. it wouldnt hurt if you get max house monitoring because of that modus operandi with the "2nd moving van"

Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
possibly your requirements led your agent in recommending the outskirts. Maybe you can visit High Star/High Star Landing ($160k-190k) and other gated neighborhoods in the area. Let me know what your realtor says I'm also curious what is predicted for this area. A friend lives by Synott and Beechnut, he say everything looks ok. i dont think its safe south of Beechnut

Old 01-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Here is crime data comparison I got off the web between bellaire and sugarland, it's not all that bad and both are below national average, that's for 2005 though
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:00 AM..

Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
Here is crime data comparison I got off the web between bellaire and sugarland, it's not all that bad and both are below national average, that's for 2005 though
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
How is Bellaire area? I know I was asking about West Bellaire

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:00 AM..

Old 01-29-2007, 12:29 PM

107 posts, read 569,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post
How is Bellaire area? I know I was asking about West Bellaire
Bellaire and the area you're referring to as "West Bellaire" are two totally different beings. "West Bellaire," I would refer to as the Alief area. Bellaire, TX is further northwest (on the sw corner of Loop 610), and is $$$$.

I grew up in Alief, and although it was a decent place to live back then with good schools (1970s and 80s), it's not so much anymore. The plethora of apartment complexes and cheap housing has unfortunately made it a breeding ground for gangs and thugs, and the Alief school district has gone downhill.

If you're looking for an area that is pretty convenient to the Asian restaurants and markets there on Bellaire Blvd., but is a nicer place to live, try looking north of Westheimer, closer to Memorial. The homes there are more expensive, but the school district (Spring Branch) is a great one, and crime drops exponentially. If you're looking for something less gentrified, the Ashford and Memorial Bend areas (which are between Westheimer and Briar Forest) might be a good place to look. They're in the Houston ISD, but with better schools than you'll find in most of the district.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
possibly your requirements led your agent in recommending the outskirts. Maybe you can visit High Star/High Star Landing ($160k-190k) and other gated neighborhoods in the area. Let me know what your realtor says I'm also curious what is predicted for this area. A friend lives by Synott and Beechnut, he say everything looks ok. i dont think its safe south of Beechnut
This looks interesting, I will check it out, thanks. where did you end up moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston