Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,003 times

Advertisements

Since I have been gone a few years can anyone tell me what they put in the space that Astroworld/Waterworld used to be in? Boy! that was such a fun place to go with my kid and friends when he was young. Too bad it isn't there any longer.
Have they replaced it somewhere else? Galveston is a long way to go to Waterworld on a daily basis when you live innercity Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 AM

480 posts, read 1,699,593 times
Right now its a big ugly empty space with a FOR SALE sign stuck in it. (Not literally, but it is for sale).

Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 AM

7,541 posts, read 11,579,521 times
The long 3 day weekend there will be a big concert there Rock The Bayou : Music Festival - Official Ticket Site - Houston, Texas how stupid to have this event there with no shade it will be super hot bad idea all the way around

Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,436 times
Its a sad day when greed takes over the way it did with the closing of Astroworld. They were making a profit just not the profit they wanted. So they came to the conclusion of screw the people of houston and its surrounding neighbors, lets sell the land we can get more money that way. Insted of managing the park the right way and making it more profitable.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Six Flags itself is not to be missed; they ran AW into the ground, especially in its last decade or so of existence. All the money went to purchasing new parks instead of improving/maintaining the old ones.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
I wonder if this had anything to do with the clientele. For lack of a better word, those last several years it was exceedingly ghetto every time we went. While that is to be expected in any big city, it got to the point of unpleasant-ness not found @ the other 6 Flags parks in TX.

Every time we were there from about 1993 until closing, you could find any of these: Teens cussing up a storm, groups of guys having plastic baseball bat fights within groups of people, or throwing basketballs around accidentally nailing people, vatos encouraging their kids to cut in line, extreme litterbugs, weed smoking, hooched-out 14 year old girls, park workers who have obviously never talked or related to anyone outside their block, etc. There were some awful smells around that park, they had rodent/roach/mosquito issues sometimes, and it seemed like there was used chewing gum plastered everywhere.

At that point it seemed more like a hood playground than anything. It was crawling with season ticket holders who likely didn't spend much money otherwise, and all this seemed to turn away everyone else. To me, it appeared more families took the 3 hour drive to Fiesta Texas to spend their money instead of dealing with Astroworld. And perhaps it had to do with corporate greed, but I am unaware of any business whose goal is to operate at a loss, nor any big ''chain'' that caters to the hood.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times
tstone,
i agree with your points, it seems to me it had a lot to do with location for those problems. houston is not exactly known as the friendliest city in the "friendly state". then the area the park was in was not exactly the friendliest part of the city. i seem to remember main street (a couple blocks from AW) used to be a HUGE place for prostitution and drugs. the area is still bad but some people are doing things about it.

when you go to fiesta texas, it is in a nice part of SA, an area of town that isnt rampant with crime. the people in SA (mainly northside) are not as "getto" so to speak. IMO it would be more like having astroworld in the woodlands. while there would still be some of that element, it would be a lot less common.

six flags arlington is not in the best location either but arlington is running that stuff out with the construction of the ballpark (where the rangers play) and the new cowboys stadium both being very close to 6 flags. (useless trivia, my grandfather did every inch of concrete work at six flags over texas in arlington until about 1990. all the rides, walks, everything)

all this said, i do wish there was a place like astroworld where i could take my son and not have to drive 3+ hours to get there.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I wonder if this had anything to do with the clientele. For lack of a better word, those last several years it was exceedingly ghetto every time we went. While that is to be expected in any big city, it got to the point of unpleasant-ness not found @ the other 6 Flags parks in TX.

Every time we were there from about 1993 until closing, you could find any of these: Teens cussing up a storm, groups of guys having plastic baseball bat fights within groups of people, or throwing basketballs around accidentally nailing people, vatos encouraging their kids to cut in line, extreme litterbugs, weed smoking, hooched-out 14 year old girls, park workers who have obviously never talked or related to anyone outside their block, etc. There were some awful smells around that park, they had rodent/roach/mosquito issues sometimes, and it seemed like there was used chewing gum plastered everywhere.

At that point it seemed more like a hood playground than anything. It was crawling with season ticket holders who likely didn't spend much money otherwise, and all this seemed to turn away everyone else. To me, it appeared more families took the 3 hour drive to Fiesta Texas to spend their money instead of dealing with Astroworld. And perhaps it had to do with corporate greed, but I am unaware of any business whose goal is to operate at a loss, nor any big ''chain'' that caters to the hood.
Most sixflags locations tend to be located on the outskirts of the city or the burbs. Astroworld was centrally located in the city making it easier for hoodlums to take an easy bus ride. Theme parks are usually day trips anyway so it's good to have them further out from the city's core.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,824 times
Astroworld did become quite hood in its last remaining years.
That's the main reason I refused to go there, even when my wife (GF at the time) wanted to go one last time right before it closed.
I don't remember it being anything like that in the 80's.
Of course I was just a child then, so who knows.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Ghetto World is what it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

You are so right on with your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston