Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,067 times

Advertisements

I have a home in SW Houston between Beltway 8 and Hwy 6 that I am considering selling. The commute to downtown is about 17 miles. Because of the gas prices - are homes closer into town becoming more desirable ($$$$) - esp if they are in good neighborhoods and relatively new? Or are families generally still preferring suburbia - 30+ miles commutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 12:58 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Closer into town is VERY desirable $$$$. It is the happening place in Houston. Some families who live there often send their kids to privates so it doesn't matter about the ISD. I don't find that living in the burbs protects kids that much more from real life than living in the city.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:04 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie88 View Post
I have a home in SW Houston between Beltway 8 and Hwy 6 that I am considering selling. The commute to downtown is about 17 miles. Because of the gas prices - are homes closer into town becoming more desirable ($$$$) - esp if they are in good neighborhoods and relatively new? Or are families generally still preferring suburbia - 30+ miles commutes?

I'm at Kirkwood and Memorial and we are seeing a lot of out of state transfers starting to buy in and around here. I think you've probably noticed the price increases over the past three years. And as you know, by Houston standards, this is a burb area without being in suburbia. I think being close to the action, yet living in a Mayberry type neighborhood is appealing to many, despite the fact the homes are older and cost more.

Now depending on what schools your house is zoned to in that locale will determine it's desirability. And if your location is anywhere near Sharpstown, it's not on an upswing yet.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 08-10-2008 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 01:05 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
How close is it to the SW Houston ghettos? Someday, I'm sure somebody will buy up all of that land, doze the apartments and it will again become valuable. You might have to wait awhile though.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don't find that living in the burbs protects kids that much more from real life than living in the city.

Totally agree.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,945 times
Default Gas prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie88 View Post
I agree with a previous poster that living in the city is where all the action is. That is what is primarily driving prices up in town. Gas prices are adding to the amount of people looking to live closer in as well. Do your research on property taxes before buying and factor that into your mortgage.

I would prefer my kids to grow up in the city and be exposed to more culture. Some feel the same way, others prefer the burbs.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,185 times
There's some very nice areas within Alief, where the homes are currently worth zilch, because of the type of people who moved in there. Mission Bend, I suppose must have been very nice at some point... the homes are nice, or used to be. Many are still nice, but are priced as much as 40%-50% below Sugar Land or Katy, because, well, they're Alief.

My wife and I are on the hunt for an affordable home in SW Houston suburbs, but are only interested in homes within Fort Bend ISD (which comes pretty far into the city, actually). Everyone keeps telling us to look out in Sienna or Richmond and we're like "uhh... do YOU want to pay for my gas?"... as such, we're looking closer and no more than 5 miles from 59, period. Not gonna spend 15-20 minutes a day just getting from the house to the freeway.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:55 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Two words. Meadows Place Texas (whoops, three words) Right on Kirkwood and 59. Understandable if it is too blue collar for your taste.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
There's some very nice areas within Alief, where the homes are currently worth zilch, because of the type of people who moved in there. Mission Bend, I suppose must have been very nice at some point... the homes are nice, or used to be. Many are still nice, but are priced as much as 40%-50% below Sugar Land or Katy, because, well, they're Alief.

My wife and I are on the hunt for an affordable home in SW Houston suburbs, but are only interested in homes within Fort Bend ISD (which comes pretty far into the city, actually). Everyone keeps telling us to look out in Sienna or Richmond and we're like "uhh... do YOU want to pay for my gas?"... as such, we're looking closer and no more than 5 miles from 59, period. Not gonna spend 15-20 minutes a day just getting from the house to the freeway.
Sienna Plantation is right next to the Fort Bend Parkway, which makes for easy access to the south Sam Houston Tollway, 610 loop south, or the medical center via Main Street from I-610. It takes me 5 minutes to get to the Fort Bend Parkway, and will be even shorter once they extend it all the way through Sienna Plantation.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:17 PM

132 posts, read 588,149 times
I do agree that it does not make sense to travel 15-20 minutes to get in to the freeway...

But what is the REAL difference between a Aliefrabia and Subarbia on Gas prices ? If you take Downtown as the point of refercence, then the difference is 12 miles. That means you have to drive 12 (miles)*2 (times)*250 (days)= 6000 miles more per year. If your vehicle averges 20 mpg, that means you have to buy 300 gallons more, which means you gotta spend 300 (gallons) * 4 ($/gall) = $1200 per year. That is $100 per month.

But What does that $100 buy for you ?

1) A great family friendly community like New territory / First colony / Avalon
2) Terrfic combinations like
a) Walker Station - sartartia -Austin
b) Commolwealth-Fort settlement - Clements

People who are living in 'subarbia' are livng there for a reason. And I don't think gas prices can change that. That too, many of the communites in the subarbia have an average family income of $150K/yr and they know $1200/yr wont make a huge dent..

Last edited by Houston456; 08-10-2008 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston