Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 57,153 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We currently live in L.A. County and we are planning to relocate to either Katy or Sugarland. Do either cities get hit with any hurricanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 07:25 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
No. No hurricane has ever hit these areas before.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:27 PM

Any flooding in the areas?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:29 PM

Any flooding in any of the two cities?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 PM

It rarely if ever floods in Katy. I'm not sure about Sugar Land, though. They have a major river running through it.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:02 PM

85 posts, read 350,817 times
Anywhere on the coast and inland for a hundred or so miles is subject to the effects of hurricanes. The further inland the lower the wind velocity, as a general rule. Hurricanes and tropical storms can also cause severe flooding. Probably the worst natural disaster in recent years was tropical storm Allison. Google for it or read about it on the national weather service site.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/projects/allison01/synopsis.htm (broken link)

Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
No. No hurricane has ever hit these areas before.
Who gave me a negative rep for this? Saying "this Guerilla obviously has never head of Hurricane Carla".

Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,241 times
Hurricane Carla's path took her midway between Houston and San Antonio (closer to San Antonio). Therefore, although Katy was probably affected by the storm, I would not say that Katy was "hit" by Hurricane Carla.

I moved to Katy from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. I have evacuated for every storm that appeared to headed for New Orleans since 1994 (after my daughter was born). I probably would not evacuate Katy if a storm was headed toward Houston. Being so much further inland than in New Orleans, I know that the winds would die down considerably by the time they would hit Katy - and the storm at that point would be no more than a tropical depression (which can still knock down trees, power lines, etc). And I have no fear of flooding in Katy. New Orleans is below sea level and surrounded by water. It was flooding that damaged New Orleans. There are no large bodies of water in Katy that could produce such devastation. If anything, the only thing that would worry me would be the possibility of tornadoes being spawned from a hurricane.

Any coastal city is a potential hot spot for hurricanes. You can move further inland to reduce your chances, but you can't eliminate the possibility. Another thing to consider is evacuation routes. I was in Houston after Katrina and evacuated when Rita threatened Houston. Highway 45 north was a parking lot. As was I-10 heading west. Fortunately, being so close to I-10, I was able to get north of I-10 fairly quickly and make my way north via back roads - once north of 290, it was clear sailing.

If you are curious, here is a great link that will show you hurricane paths by zip code, storm name, etc. you can specify the search radius as well.

" + theTitle + " (http://maps.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/viewer.html - broken link)

Last edited by cla; 01-31-2008 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
The answer is yes, but it's a rare event. Probably more rare than earthquakes.

I was only in grade school at the time, but I definitely remember Alicia blowing all our fences down, as well as some young trees in 1983. Sugar Land. The houses were all ok, though. I understand the winds were a pretty constant 60 mph or so, with hurricane force gusts. I'll never forget the whistling sound the wind made, though.

And generally speaking the Brazos River does not ''run through'' Sugar Land:

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

Watch our for creeks and lakes though.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 AM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
LOL, Does Houston and surrounding areas ever get hurricanes... Does LA have earthquakes? It doesn't happen every year of course but there is always the possibility for them every year. Like a earlier poster said, the farther inland you are the less effect it will have on you. I can tell you that if a cat 5 hurricane rolls through Galveston or the surrounding areas that either of the places that you mentioned will feel the effects of it (flooding, downed trees, wind damaged buildings etc...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston