Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 AM

254 posts, read 587,341 times

Advertisements

I live in Boston now and I am getting sick of the mean people and cold weather. Starting to consider other cities although I will not be ready to move out until about a year. Houston is one of my options. Having said that, would like to spend a weekend to get a feel of the place but would like to hear some suggestions.

I would like to move to an area that is close to entertainment and nightlife but still a decent commute to wherever I will be working at. I am a single professional in the late 20s so do not care for family amenities. I work in the software industry so I am not sure how well Houston fares in terms of opportunities. I am aware that I might have to expect a lesser salary than Boston but it is made up by the lower cost of living there.

Please provide me inputs on this and also MustSees for that eventual one weekend visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
You would probably enjoy living in Midtown, Montrose, West U area, or around Memorial Park. But you would want to see where in the city your job was located first.

As far as things to see on a weekend trip - Museum District, downtown, maybe around the coast like Kemah. It's not like Boston... you'll have to drive everywhere unless you stay along the light rail line.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 PM

95 posts, read 338,355 times
If you're going to be working downtown or near downtown, take a look at the Washington Ave. area, quite popular right now, lots of nightlife.

Being in the "software industry" you should be able to land a job no problem if you're involved in the technical aspects of things. If you're in software sales or something like that, then who knows.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
In my opinion, most of the tech jobs are going to be in the West and Northwest Houston area. I would suggest the Washington Ave/Heights area because it's in a great location in terms of where your job would possibly be and it's a great area for young preofessionals. However, you will need a car, relying on the bus would be a waste of time. Houston is pretty laid back and has friendly people. It gets hot during the day but you will find the Houston gets active once the sun starts setting. Lots of outdoor patio bars in inner Houston. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
There is an extremely large HP campus in NW Houston as well as BMC software, as far as IT companies go.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
In my opinion, most of the tech jobs are going to be in the West and Northwest Houston area. I would suggest the Washington Ave/Heights area because it's in a great location in terms of where your job would possibly be and it's a great area for young preofessionals. However, you will need a car, relying on the bus would be a waste of time. Houston is pretty laid back and has friendly people. It gets hot during the day but you will find the Houston gets active once the sun starts setting. Lots of outdoor patio bars in inner Houston. Good luck.
Clarification...it's hot in the summer (and humid with thunderstorms frequently) but the temperatures are mild from mid October through April, with some cool, rainy, foggy spells. The landscape tends to stay green even in the winter, unless there's a prolonged period of frosty nights (happens some years, but not every year).

Old 08-30-2008, 12:27 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Houston is a good town for professionals. Not as walkable as Boston but it costs about 20% less. Try the midtown area and along washington ave like other posters suggested.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:08 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post

Please provide me inputs on this and also MustSees for that eventual one weekend visit.
I am originally from the Northeast and I love Houston. It is MUCH friendlier than most NE cities. And the weather is much better than Boston's. Yes, it's "wicked hot!" here in the summer, but it is in Boston, too, right? It just lasts longer here. And the winters are lovely.

all the areas mentioned above would be great for you to check out during your visit... midtown, Montrose, Washington Ave, Heights. See what fits your vibe.

Good luck, I hope you find a job here! Everybody is welcome here if they work hard.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,682 times
Are you a programmer - if so what languages?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:53 AM

254 posts, read 587,341 times
Thanks for all your replies.

As far having to drive most of the time, no problem I already do so already despite living in Boston that is because I work in the suburbs and the train doesnt reach there.

Speaking of which, I also like to bike a lot. How suited is the city of Houston for biking, does it have independent bike trails, lanes along the streets for bikes only, etc... In other words what is the biking culture like there?

As far as the replies for jobs, a lot of you mentioned that big name companies have offices in Houston, what about startups are there any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: