Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,289 times

Advertisements

I am supposed to be getting married this Saturday to my fiance that is on leave from the military. I had family flown in to attend even with the hurricane mess and have managed to work around every problem that this hurricane has caused. On Monday I went out to the site that I was going to have my reception to make sure that everything was still standing. There was tree damage but no damage in the area that my wedding was going to take place. I tried calling the city on Tuesday and there was no answer so I just proceeded as normal to make sure that everything else was in order and confirmed. Yesterday at 2:30 pm I found out that I am not allowed to have my wedding there now. After crying my eyes out since its last minute and everything was past the cancelation time i went out to the park. I had the director walk with me and show me what was wrong. There are no trees in the area to fall down, its on concrete. The answers were... The gazebo might have damage, there will be workers in the area, what about curfew? So I said I wouldn't care about the workers, I wouldn't let anyone go in the gazebo, and we found out that the curfew was extended to an hour after my reception would be over. I also offered to have a lawyer draw up papers so that every guest could sign that they would not sue the city of Friendswood if they were injured. I almost got an ok. But then no.

So here is the dilema... I have all these people (130) coming to a wedding that can't take place bc there isn't anywhere to accomodate us. Parks are closed, places are closed or booked. Is there anyone that can help? Is there anywhere that has space for 130 people? 13 tables? That allows music? Please help me get married and have the wedding I have been planning and that I have already paid for!

Brittney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 AM

407 posts, read 1,736,749 times
Gosh, I sure a sorry that your dream wedding plans have been effected by this storm. I still don't have power at my house but I am so thankful that I have water and that my home was not damaged by falling trees like so any of my neighbors. It's important to put this into prepesctive and remember that the most important thing is that you are safe and that getting married is more important than the actual ceremony. Why not find someone to peform the service and have the reception in aother place or at another time? Our cities resources are taxed right now and trying to add 130 people here on top of all the problems the locals are having getting hotels, gas and food just seems selfish. I'm running y DSL modem from my car battery right now so I need to sign off so I can still drive to the grocery store.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,018 times
You can probably book Korean Garden or the ballrooms on Bellaire Blvd (chinatown)

Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Wow, I'm sorry. I am a little surprised though. I have other friends whose wedding is still on this coming Sat. And I had a cousin who got married literally less than 24 hours after a hurricane blew through in Florida years back... no electricity, it was HOT (August), everything was done by candlelight but it all worked out okay. So I don't understand why they can't still accomodate you?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,790 times
Can you call some large churches? Maybe they will have pity on you. Try going north and west, like the Katy area where most everyone has had power on for quite awhile.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM

743 posts, read 2,068,806 times
Don't mean to sound insensitive, but weddings are overrated. Be thankful you have each other, and that you're all safe and sound.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:09 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,991 times
One time I saw what I think was an after wedding party being celebrated at Bear Creek Park. It struck me that that was one way to do it for free. I haven't been up there since the storm, so I don't know if they suffered a lot of damage. I would focus on an area that suffered less damage in the storm. Katy was up and running pretty quick after the storm, so maybe somewhere out there.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
One time I saw what I think was an after wedding party being celebrated at Bear Creek Park. It struck me that that was one way to do it for free. I haven't been up there since the storm, so I don't know if they suffered a lot of damage. I would focus on area that suffered less damage in the storm. Katy was up and running pretty quick after the storm, so maybe somewhere out there.
its under water

Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,991 times
oops!

Old 09-19-2008, 01:36 PM

11 posts, read 41,230 times
who cares about your wedding when the entire area is suffering? call the minister, have a quick ceremony and then ask you guests if they would like to go home or help pitch in with the relief efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston