Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,954 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I am 41years old moving from south wales UK to Houston Texas and have decided on Cypress area. I am looking to open a Hair Salon and start a business i have been a hairdresser for over 20years. I am moving with my daughter 21 who is interested in going to college/uni (whichever age catogory she is in.) she wishes to study performing arts and media. As we are moving from the UK and will be making a huge step and such a big life change could anyone please help me out with these questions:

1) Where is the best area to open a hair salon?
2) Are there any Hair academy's?
3) Where is the best location for my daughter to go back to education?
4) Is there much to do for people my daughters age? And will she fit in amoungst american young adults?
5) What is the Houston lifestyle like?
6) Is cypress a nice area with plenty to do?
7) Is cypress clean and safe?

I would be extremley greatfull for any help at all.
Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 60,235 times
1.To my knowledge, location is the utmost key to success...
2. I'm sure there are some school for that field here...someone else might provide you a better answer than me.

3. If your daughter is well educated then i don't think this would be a big issue, but I do recommend UT (University of Texas) or UH (University of Houston). And of course there are other but these are my recommendations

4. It really depends on what your daughter want to do...I don't think anyone can give the absolute answer for that question. If your daughter is a talkative and friendly person then i don't see the problem why you should be worrying. She just have to adapt to the environment in Houston or the way of the USA for that matter...Like i said, just be yourself and you'll be okay for the most part Houston is just like any other cities (perhaps abit safer compared to other ) in the United State so there you have it.

5.Well, I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing any cowboy or cowgirl here... It vary really... We have black, white, brown (Mexican/Hispanic/Latino/etc..), and yellow or light tanned skin (asian ) Just be yourself like everyone else in USA

6. No comment.
7. No comment.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,954 times
Thank You for your reply really apprecite that. Im sure my daughter will fit in she is friendly and outgoing and loves america.

If anyone knows about Hair Salon business I would really love some information.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM

11 posts, read 73,841 times
Hi, I moved out to Houston a few months ago and so far love it. Funnily enough, my husband and I will probably be moving to Cypress too soon due to work. I think its a nice area - theres LOTS of shops, so your daughter will love it, espcially Willowbrook Mall.

As for opening hair salons, again I'm no expert in this area, but salons are going up all the time (nails, waxing, etc) - Houstons population is due to double int he next 20 yrs, and I get the feeling Cypress is very up and coming.

UT is one of the best schools in Texas, I imagine its pricy though. University of Houston is also good, and a lot more local. Houston community college is OK, but not as reputable as the others.

I'm sure she'll fit in, I'm 25 and the people in Houston are very welcoming. Of course it helps I have a few friends already, but if she can find PT work, or get into school, she'll make plenty of friends - they LOVE enlglish accents out here! In terms of what to do, theres plenty of bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. Midtown is one the best place to go out.

Is cypress clean and safe? compared to some parts of houston, absolutely. Its extremely RARE for someone to get randomly attacked anywhere in Houston, most violent crime is always gang related. Like anywhere, just be street smart - lock your car doors when going thru bad areas, dont flash your cash, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1 View Post
Hi all
I am 41years old moving from south wales UK to Houston Texas and have decided on Cypress area. I am looking to open a Hair Salon and start a business i have been a hairdresser for over 20years. I am moving with my daughter 21 who is interested in going to college/uni (whichever age catogory she is in.) she wishes to study performing arts and media. As we are moving from the UK and will be making a huge step and such a big life change could anyone please help me out with these questions:

1) Where is the best area to open a hair salon?
2) Are there any Hair academy's?
3) Where is the best location for my daughter to go back to education?
4) Is there much to do for people my daughters age? And will she fit in amoungst american young adults?
5) What is the Houston lifestyle like?
6) Is cypress a nice area with plenty to do?
7) Is cypress clean and safe?

I would be extremley greatfull for any help at all.
Many Thanks

Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 45,737 times
Hi I am ali1 daughter. Thanks for all the info its really helpfull. I feel even more encouraged to come now.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 PM

11 posts, read 73,841 times
Ali1/Missunique, if you are still reading this I have a question, purely out of curiosity...If your daughter is 21 what kind of visa is she coming out on if she is accompanying you? I only ask because my parents had great trouble bringing me out once I turned 21, as I was no longer considered a 'dependant'. Thanks

Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 21,603 times
Default Hair Acadamy

The Woodlands has a really strong Aveda hair academy and offers beauty,, trails, a great town center, and a wide selection of homes.

http://www.aveda.com
http://thewoodlands.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: