Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 PM

627 posts, read 1,624,741 times

Advertisements

Factors including:

1) Safety (I heard that areas around UH is not so safe)
2) Short drive to UH or downtown
3) Affortability (not as important as the other two).

I heard that Medical Center and Galleria are good. Is it true? Any others??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Condos with 2 bedrooms in Medical Center for less than 80K??? Moderator cut: personal. Is the area any good?? How much can you expect to pay for property tax, insurance and maintanence fees for condos like that????

Moderator cut: wrong forum.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 02-18-2007 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Please read your PM.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:50 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,089,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Condos with 2 bedrooms in Medical Center for less than 80K??? Moderator cut: personal. Is the area any good?? How much can you expect to pay for property tax, insurance and maintanence fees for condos like that????

Moderator cut: wrong forum.
Try using an apartment search site - The apartments west of 288 in the Houston Galleria area and the apartments north of Westheimer in the Uptown area should be consistently safe. I would also look at apartments in the Rice University area.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 PM

1) What about the area west of 288, South of 59 (meaning south of Westheimer) and witin the 610 loop? I believe that area would include the Medical Center, West University Place, East of Ellaire, and Rice University. (I'm looking at the map now).

2) What about the Medical Center are, but south of 610? There are some really cheap condos there.

3) What about West of Bellaire?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:16 PM

27 posts, read 116,423 times
There is a neighborhood called "Houston Country Club Place" if you want to rent a house. Not too far. Might be something there. "Safety" in Houston is relative like most places. Most of the time wisdom will keep you out of trouble.
Use HAR.com to search the MLS. It is by far the best website to search. Not a lead generation tool. It is run by the Houston Association of Realtors.
Stuart

Old 02-19-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
1) What about the area west of 288, South of 59 (meaning south of Westheimer) and witin the 610 loop? I believe that area would include the Medical Center, West University Place, East of Ellaire, and Rice University. (I'm looking at the map now).

2) What about the Medical Center are, but south of 610? There are some really cheap condos there.

3) What about West of Bellaire?
1. That area is good - There are many fully-stocked grocery stores and good community services. The apartments north of South Braeswood are usually in good shape. The apartments south of South Braeswood probably vary - some complexes are in the cheapy-ish area around Reliant Park. That area is gentrifying, so you may find the apartments becoming more expensive over time. You may wish to live in a complex serving a lot of medical students; they tend to have smaller incomes, but they should make good neighbors.

2. I don't know a whole lot about the apartments in that area - I would check the apartment ratings and tour the apartments

3. Many of the apartments west of the city of Bellaire are part of "Gulfton" - the area is notoriously rough

Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 PM

I would love to findo out the answer to my question # 2; the area south of Medical Center, Ouside the loop of 610. In other words, just South of 610, West of 288, and East of Main Street.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 PM

In that case, the apartments are characterized by the Reliant area - there may be students living in some of the complexes, as they are close to the TMC. I would carefully check out the complexes on the internet before moving in.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:14 AM

23 posts, read 117,406 times
I commute to UH. I live in Spring. I'd say you can live on any side of town you want but you may get tired of driving. My first semester off-campus (Yes, I'm admitting I stayed in "those" dorms, if that's what you could call them. They sure can make you "Moody.") I had classes M-F. Nearly two combined hours of driving everyday drove me crazy. All my classes are online now. And I thought I wanted to live in the Woodlands before this. Just a thought!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I commute to UH. I live in Spring. I'd say you can live on any side of town you want but you may get tired of driving. My first semester off-campus (Yes, I'm admitting I stayed in "those" dorms, if that's what you could call them. They sure can make you "Moody.") I had classes M-F. Nearly two combined hours of driving everyday drove me crazy. All my classes are online now. And I thought I wanted to live in the Woodlands before this. Just a thought!
That's why I tell singles that if they choose to go to the Houston area, that in most circumstances, they would be happiest living close to where they work - which usually means the city core of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston