Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

I posted this same post in the Phoenix board a while back but I'm also strongly considering Houston so I want to post it here.

I'm a 33-year old gay man and I work in IT/tech support and I have seven years of experience in the same job. I currently live in Oklahoma City and hate the city with a passion and am desperate to leave, so much so I've set myself an October 2019 deadline even if I have to move without a job. My job mostly consists of server management and software installation via remote session and will be looking for a similar type job in Houston. I have friends in Houston who will help me with the move vs Phoenix I'll be completely on my own.

Yes, yes, I know the risks of moving without a job and I'm going to make sure I have enough money saved to last me a while if it takes me longer than expected to find employment. At this point though I'm so unhappy in OKC that I'm willing to take that risk.

While I'm still considering other options, it's mostly down to Houston or Phoenix. I'm much more familiar with Houston than Phoenix so I have fewer questions about the city itself. I guess my biggest concern would be the job market. I want to move somewhere that I'll stand a good chance at finding a job relatively quickly since I'll be moving without a job. Phoenix is hot right now for IT jobs but I'm less familiar with the Houston market. Can anybody here give any insight?

Also, what do you love and hate about living in Houston?

Thanks much for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 09:58 PM

92 posts, read 60,742 times
Lots of jobs in htown, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting hired...
Did you check indeed? https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=system...=Houston%2C+TX

Also, reach out to some headhunters - https://www.google.com/search?ei=cD3...unters+houston

Med Center, oil and gas, colleges, city of houston, etc will hire experienced server management/sys admins

Old 06-05-2019, 09:33 AM

391 posts, read 425,086 times
33 is old enough to know that being "unhappy" is not a justifiable reason to move across the country without a job. It's written all over your post, you know it's a terrible idea.

Apply for jobs in both Houston & Phoenix, and then make your decision based on the offers you get. Houston is a miserable city to be poor in.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 AM

81 posts, read 64,925 times
Phoenix.!! Its just as hot but at least its a DRY heat. There is an actual scenic landscape there. You can quickly get to cool destinations like Sedona, Grand Canyon, Los Angeles, Las Vegas! You know where a 5 hour drive gets you to from Houston? Dallas, New Orleans, or Laredo.....awesome!

I'm from Houston but after many trips to Phoenix (Scottsdale area to be precise), I would much rather live there! Scottsdale is awesome.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
33 is old enough to know that being "unhappy" is not a justifiable reason to move across the country without a job. It's written all over your post, you know it's a terrible idea.

Apply for jobs in both Houston & Phoenix, and then make your decision based on the offers you get. Houston is a miserable city to be poor in.
It's more than just the fact I'm unhappy. In fact unhappy is an understatement. At this point in my life it's pretty much this or lose my mind. I know it's a risky decision but I'm also making sure I have plenty of cash savings before I do such a thing.

Finding a job before I move will be next to impossible since most employers only consider local candidates, especially at my career level. Trying to lie about my address and get to somewhere far away for an interview while maintaining my current employment will be next to impossible. I'm pretty much just going to have to pack up and move.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 AM

694 posts, read 836,600 times
Houston has a bigger economy than Phoenix, so I have to guess the Job Market is bigger here as well.

Yes Phoenix is prettier, hands down, but is that what makes you happy? If hiking and outdoor activities are important for your happiness, go to Phoenix.

Food, music, culture.......Houston wins.

I guess it comes down to what things make you happy, and in which city, are you more likley to be able to participate in them.

You sound like you are borderline depressed, and given that you state " I have friends in Houston who will help me" I would come to Houston.......Friends can help us get through hard times. We get by with a little help from our friends. Being alone in Phoenix, with the added stress of job issues, and coming to know an entirely new city, will be stressful enough.

I would come to Houston, rent for a while, stay near friends, get healthy.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
If you are having problems in OKC, then you should take the advice of others and think about the practical side of things. Houston has a stronger and more diverse economy, so the job market should be more in your favor in Texas. Phoenix had some wild ups and downs during the recession, so keep that in mind, too. Stunning natural beauty is great to look at, but it isn't going to pay your bills. Think about what would help shift the odds in your favor of success.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
If you are having problems in OKC, then you should take the advice of others and think about the practical side of things. Houston has a stronger and more diverse economy, so the job market should be more in your favor in Texas. Phoenix had some wild ups and downs during the recession, so keep that in mind, too. Stunning natural beauty is great to look at, but it isn't going to pay your bills. Think about what would help shift the odds in your favor of success.
I agree. Houston is quite a bit more practical for me right now than Phoenix. I'm trying to strike a balance between practicality and living where I really want. Houston checks off more than enough boxes for me that I'm certain I could be happy there. While the city may lack the stunning natural beauty of Arizona, the city itself is more diverse and urban than Phoenix. Also, having the beach nearby is something I'm really looking forward to and I consider that a trade off for not being near the mountains (yes, I understand that Texas beaches are widely regarded as inferior to those farther east).

Old 06-05-2019, 01:57 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree. Houston is quite a bit more practical for me right now than Phoenix. I'm trying to strike a balance between practicality and living where I really want. Houston checks off more than enough boxes for me that I'm certain I could be happy there. While the city may lack the stunning natural beauty of Arizona, the city itself is more diverse and urban than Phoenix. Also, having the beach nearby is something I'm really looking forward to and I consider that a trade off for not being near the mountains (yes, I understand that Texas beaches are widely regarded as inferior to those farther east).
Yeah the beaches here aren't the best. But its nice being able to drive an hour down the road and relax on Surfside and I do it probably more than most people in this area, because for me, the beach experience isn't all about blue water. Many disagree and that's fine - keeps the beaches relatively uncrowded most of the time.

I personally have never been a big fan of Phoenix - I don't think the city has much character and its too dry for me to be honest. I also live in Houston, so I'm admittedly very biased. For me, it's a no brainer, considering you have friends here and not there.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:21 PM

509 posts, read 735,940 times
Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston