Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:53 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,790 times

Advertisements

No, Houstonians as a whole are definitely friendlier than northeasterners...no question. New England drivers are pretty bad too but Houstonians are crazy. Turn signal? What's a turn signal?

Oh and I'll agree that SoCal drivers are faster...but more skilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 06:56 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
We Houstonians are very friendly. Anyone who disagrees with me, I'll punch them in the mouth.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
The people of this area are mostly very nice people. But, put them in a car and they're "natural born killers".

I've never seen so many rude and incompetent drivers anywhere else in this country. What are their anxieties?

It's a great place to live, and people are mostly great...Outside of their cars.

A lot of those so-called "rude" and "incompetent" drivers are not from Houston (or Texas, for that matter). We're an enormous city filled with people from all over the world...and many of them can't drive worth a da*n.

(That's not to say I don't know a few Texans that can't drive, but most are at least cordial about it )

Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
I do think there is a weird disconnect between how nice Houstonians seem to be everywhere but behind the steering wheel of a car. Once driving, many Houstonians are rude, aggressive, and dangerous.

And only 10% of drivers here seem to think signaling is a good idea. Today on 59 I didn't see one other person using a signal even though drivers were madly changing lanes and cutting each other off. There was a near miss potential car crash about every four minutes all the way from the Museum District to Sugar Land.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
A lot of those so-called "rude" and "incompetent" drivers are not from Houston (or Texas, for that matter). We're an enormous city filled with people from all over the world...and many of them can't drive worth a da*n.

(That's not to say I don't know a few Texans that can't drive, but most are at least cordial about it )
If you live, eat, and work in Houston, you're a Houstonian whether you originally came from timbukto or the moon!!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:07 PM

439 posts, read 1,242,546 times
I often wonder if they teach drivers the value of the turn signal in driving school here. That's a big pet peeve of mine. Drivers here expect you to read their mind and anticipate when they're going to turn into your lane. Very annoying.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM

67 posts, read 266,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
But the people from SoCal say we drive slow. What gives?
SOCAL and NORCAL might as well be on different planets. I enjoy SOCAL, NORCAL not so much, but then again I met my hippie tolerance limit and high cost of living limit about a year ago. Moving to Houston in 4 months and counting.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM

83 posts, read 313,020 times
people drive like ***** in houston period. especially on highway 59 during the weekends. either people wont let you over, or people are driving extremely slow, then when you pass them up, they all of a sudden want to start driving fast all of a sudden. facking idiots.

the people in in sugar land who drive sports cars are the worst though. i seen some dude in a tricked out honda civic speeding on hwy 6 in first colony near hwy 59, and this dude hit the back of ford f-350 with monster truck tires. dude flew through his front window and his body skidded all over hwy 6. luckily this guy was still alive and the hospital van was just right around the corner to help him!!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,197 times
I would have to say that the reason for such bad drivers in Houston is because

a) alot of people are from out of the country and the driving situations in other countries varies

b) Houston is so stretched out that people are trying to cover as much ground as possible in a reasonable amount of time.

As i have mentioned in other threads i hate the urban sprawl so I cut people off and speed down 59 like a motherf*cker I DONT CARE i got to get home ASAP

Old 10-26-2008, 10:15 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,018 times
hmm I've never seen these bad drivers you folks complain about. Each day I go to work its just hundreds of zombies driving straight and their minds somewhere else and probably wouldn't be able to react to avoid accidents. I feel theres only a few of us strategizing the way to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston