Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,718,006 times

Advertisements

Has nothing to do with being scared. I grew up on the SW side as well. In some areas, it's as close to the 3rd world as you can get. But that's the meaning of ''diversity.''
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
How are you counting "people"? Houston is a city with approx. 2.2 million. Baytown, Sugarland, Katy and Pasadena, etc. are seperate cities. Houston is approximately 639 sq miles in size (could swallow San Francisco 237 sq mi., Chicago at 232 sq mi whole and still have room for New York City or Miami). The point is population density. Houston has a density of about 3800 folks/sq mi while Chicago and San Fran have about 12,000 and 16,000 respectively. You are not clear, are you suggesting that Houston should be more densely populated? I think the fact that Houston is less densely populated is actually more attractive.

Is there something wrong with this? Lots of folks in other cities commute as well. The folks that live "within the city limits" actually benefit from this. BTW aren't you one of those offensive folks who commute into the "city" from Sugarland to go to school?

What fantasy? It appears the folks who live in those areas are doing quite well and are probably quite happy. What specifically do you find wrong with those areas, you are not very clear in what your objections are.

So can I conclude that you like high-rises and condos and the absence of green space? Commercial areas? what do you call the Village and all the shops along Westpark and Buffalo Speedway and Bissonette?

And this is a problem because?

You say you would like an educated argument, but you fail to present comprehensible statements and facts. You have posted an opinion (a not too clear one) and will only recieve opinions in response. Try reposting when you get your thoughts together and can clearly write what you mean and the reasons behind that. Perhaps then you will get the debate you want to generate.[/quote]

Yes i think people should be closer together so that others dont have to drive; And there would be a better city center and there would be a better use of land instead of seeing condo's and townhomes randomly sitting next to mansion houses. its ugly(refer to the ashbury highrise thread)

Thats whats wrong; it only benefits the people within the city limits; suppose i need to get to pasedena; humble; tomball; greenspoint; we talking at least 45 mins. to get to these places; And granted the other major city's have the same probably but atleast there are more people using their space efficiently.

Westpark Buffolo Speedway and Bissonette have all strip malls as their "commercial areas" I could go to the suburbs and get the same thang; there aint no difference in the so called "city hot spots"

You can find holes in any argument in this site; most peoples see my real point

Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
The part I don't get is where you whine about people who live in the suburbs, come into the city and enjoy themselves, and then go back home at night. Leaving the city residents to "care for" the place. First, that's good for the city. It brings money into the city. About 20 years ago the city was running commercials begging people to visit, to give downtown a chance. I guess you feel that nobody should ever visit and enjoy a place where they don't actually live? Should Houston residents not go to Galveston, enjoy the beaches and ocean, then come back to Houston leaving the locals to "care for" the island? Bad bad people of Houston???

I can see where a young professional would want to live downtown. If I was young and single I would probably have a place in Midtown. If that's what you want, go for it. But don't insist that everyone else should go for it just so you could feel better and not be embarrassed. Most young people grow older and start wanting to buy their own house. And then it becomes a matter of what you get for your money. Being downtown and close to things is nice but worth hundreds of thousands of dollars? Why spend $300k on a small condo when for much less I can get a large house with a pool in a quiet and secure neighborhood, in the suburbs. Remember that many of the lovely older homes in Houston neighborhoods were in the "suburbs" at the time they were built. Also remember that not everyone works downtown.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,014,833 times
Houston is the way it is because it is Houston. It's not Chicago, it's not L.A., it's not New York (and those cities have their own unique identifies as well).

Old 12-21-2008, 03:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I can see that when Houston is not compared to the "ELITE" cities of the country and when it is compared to SUNBELT cities in particular then Houston has nothing to really worry about; We are among the best if you keep Houston to that standard.

I guess it matters which angle your looking at it.

and what exactly is it that makes the cities "elite?"

overcrowding?? ridiculous housing prices?? pompous attitudes???

Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I can see where a young professional would want to live downtown. If I was young and single I would probably have a place in Midtown. If that's what you want, go for it. But don't insist that everyone else should go for it just so you could feel better and not be embarrassed. Most young people grow older and start wanting to buy their own house. And then it becomes a matter of what you get for your money. Being downtown and close to things is nice but worth hundreds of thousands of dollars? Why spend $300k on a small condo when for much less I can get a large house with a pool in a quiet and secure neighborhood, in the suburbs. Remember that many of the lovely older homes in Houston neighborhoods were in the "suburbs" at the time they were built. Also remember that not everyone works downtown.
Thats exactly the loop of this whole city; Why would I live in an apartment that costs 1000 a month where i can move somewhere that would cost me 600/mo. Because that first apartment is in midtown?
I dont know about you but it would be eating at me the whole time if i knew that I could be living for half as much somewhere not too far from the current establishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and what exactly is it that makes the cities "elite?"

overcrowding?? ridiculous housing prices?? pompous attitudes???

Well "elite" cities might be known as having some of these things; they still have their perks that Houston lacks; When was the last time a movie was made in Houston? Has Houston ever had a parade nationally televised? I just believe that Houston is worlds away from Chicago; L.A. ; New York; Boston; Philadelphia; etc.

But Houston is not bad at all; when compared to the sunbelt cities. Houston is tops when you put it to that standard

Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM

497 posts, read 1,486,518 times
A movie? A parade? lol

Surely a double E student can do better than that?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
A movie? A parade? lol

Surely a double E student can do better than that?

What would you consider an "elite" city?

Im not saying that you must have these things to be "elite"

but there is a large amount of press that elite cities have that Houston does not.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,241,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Thats exactly the loop of this whole city; Why would I live in an apartment that costs 1000 a month where i can move somewhere that would cost me 600/mo. Because that first apartment is in midtown?
I dont know about you but it would be eating at me the whole time if i knew that I could be living for half as much somewhere not too far from the current establishment.

Well "elite" cities might be known as having some of these things; they still have their perks that Houston lacks; When was the last time a movie was made in Houston? Has Houston ever had a parade nationally televised? I just believe that Houston is worlds away from Chicago; L.A. ; New York; Boston; Philadelphia; etc.

But Houston is not bad at all; when compared to the sunbelt cities. Houston is tops when you put it to that standard
Tree of Life (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) <---set in Houston and filmed here. Also we have Animal Cop Houston and just had the Latin Grammy Awards, Wrestlemania is coming next year, and just also had the Ozone awards this year.
Move north where you can pay 2000 a month for an apartment the size of your closet.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,124,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Tree of Life (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) <---set in Houston and filmed here. Also we have Animal Cop Houston and just had the Latin Grammy Awards, Wrestlemania is coming next year, and just also had the Ozone awards this year.
Move north where you can pay 2000 a month for an apartment the size of your closet.
I bet if you search hard enough you'll find some Mexican, maybe indian move filmed in Houston. try that. we're a pretty cool city in Mexico ya know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston