Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:27 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,309 times

Advertisements

Anybody happen to know if you MUST parallel park correctly to pass the TX driving test? Is it automatic failure or just points off?

Word to the wise who are moving here from out of state...DON'T do what i did. I took my sweet time to get my out of state license transfer to a TX license...ya know, too busy to mess with the DMV. (DPS) Well since I'd moved, the state of PA didn't bother sending me a reminder that my PA license was about to expire....and then it did. WHOOPS!

So now I have to take the Texas drivers test. I barely passed the computer test since I hadn't even looked at the handbook, and it's been a nightmare even getting the chance to take the road test. They aren't open on weekends, and I have my kids at home with me T and R so that leaves me M/W/F to go. I drop my kids at daycare at 7:45 but the people start lining up for road tests at 6am on some days. When the doors open at 8 there is a line a mile long. Last Wed I wasted an hour in line and they ran out of tests five people in front of me. Today I showed up just before 8am and got one of the last appointment times of the day. Whew! I really don't like driving illegally as I have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,525 times
lol - same thing happened to me - my Louisiana driver's license expired (5 months expired - oops). After looking at the requirements for getting a Texas license if your original license was expired, I decided it was easier to drive a couple of hours to the nearest Louisiana DMV and renew my license (I didn't have time to fool around - I was closing on my house in a couple of days and needed a valid license for identification). I got a Texas license a few months later.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
lol - same thing happened to me - my Louisiana driver's license expired (5 months expired - oops). After looking at the requirements for getting a Texas license if your original license was expired, I decided it was easier to drive a couple of hours to the nearest Louisiana DMV and renew my license (I didn't have time to fool around - I was closing on my house in a couple of days and needed a valid license for identification). I got a Texas license a few months later.
Oh I seriously WISH I could just drive a couple hours and get the PA one renewed! Mine had only expired a WEEK before I went to the TX DMV...you'd think they'd have a grace period or something...LOL

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,562 times
OMG. Thanks for the tip about making sure to check expiration. I'm dragging my feet, too. The TX DL test is computerized?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
OMG. Thanks for the tip about making sure to check expiration. I'm dragging my feet, too. The TX DL test is computerized?
The written part is taken on a computer at the DMV. The driving part is a regular road test.

OMG I just practiced parallel parking and I sucked! I thought I was pretty good at it as I used to do it frequently in PA.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
I didn't know parallel parking was still part of the driving test. That just sucks!!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,668 times
There are some rules you need to follow. If you do you can do the parallel parking anywhere.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:28 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,539 times
As long as you somewhat successfully parallel park the correct way (back into the space) and can perform a 3 point turn (the easiest thing in the world) the rest is just driving around obeying traffic laws.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:39 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,614 times
I'm a bit confused.....so when we relocate to TX from CA, we WILL be required to take a driving test????? Or is that a requirement only if our CA
licenses are expired??

Definately wish to avoid the parallel parking thing....We just sold our little bitty Jeep Liberty & bought a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab short bed...I'm still working on getting it pulled all the way up in the driveway--parallel parking is not even on my agenda!!!

...bought the truck in preparation for the move to TX----hopefully this summer---keep your fingers crossed for us !!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
I'm a bit confused.....so when we relocate to TX from CA, we WILL be required to take a driving test????? Or is that a requirement only if our CA
licenses are expired??

Definately wish to avoid the parallel parking thing....We just sold our little bitty Jeep Liberty & bought a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab short bed...I'm still working on getting it pulled all the way up in the driveway--parallel parking is not even on my agenda!!!

...bought the truck in preparation for the move to TX----hopefully this summer---keep your fingers crossed for us !!!!!
No, just don't let your CA license expire. If you go in and transfer your license from CA to TX you won't have to take the test again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: